Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bolt hole on thermostat housing to intake - 292 y-block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rladams65, Sep 15, 2021.

1. rladams65

rladams65

Working on a 1962 Mercury Monterey with a 292 y-block.
    I have the intake manifold off, but I twised the head off of one of the bolts holding the expansion tank / thermostat housing to the intake manifold.

So - as I am wrangling this broken bolt, it looks to me like the hole in the expansion tank bracket is not threaded. It seems to turn fine in the manifold while being stuck fast in the expansion tank bracket.

Are there only threads on the intake manifold? i.e. none on the bracket itself. I am wondering if I should stop trying to turn the bolt out and just drill it clear out of the bracket.

upload_2021-9-14_22-6-6.png

2. If the bolt is stuck to the tank, and actually turning in the manifold, then spin it around until the bolt is free. The tank is thin metal, no threads in it, but perhaps some burr or rust holding it tight.

egads likes this.
  3. rladams65

rladams65

Thank you - that was a good idea. It would have been exactly what I needed, the tank bracket runs into the intake manifold (one of the "legs" that is used to bolt the intake the the block. So - I can only spin the tank about 2/3 of a circle.

4. egads

egads

Turn the tank as far as you can, then take a 3/8 socket and put it against the bracket, around the broken bolt, gently tap it with a hammer to break the rust loose. Spray with your favorite penetrating oil, work the tank back and forth to loosen it up. A small torch would really help.

5. rladams65

rladams65

Thank you all - I finally got a torch and a better run at it with a drill. It gave up after about 10 minutes of labor. Both the thermostat housing and the intake manifold are doing fine now.

loudbang and Truck64 like this.
  6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

"Patient is resting comfortably". Good deal

rladams65 likes this.
  7. JimSibley

JimSibley

Every time i read this, my mind sees butt hole.

rladams65 likes this.