Register now to get rid of these ads!

Body Mounts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scott 351 wins, Sep 28, 2011.

1. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

I am at the point where i am going to be laying out my frame work for my project but first i would like to put on the body mounts that attach to the frame. i built the frame myself at work out of 2x4 rectangle tubing 1/4 thick.
    I was wanting to use the same material for my mounts as i have about 6' of it left over. I am wanting to put the mounts on the frame with the 2 inches of steel as the mounting surface for the body and the 4 inches welded to the frame as the gussets portion of the mount. my question is the 2 inch enough for a mounting surface for the body? the body is a 46 ford truck cab.
    Can you guys that read this, post pics of your body mounts so i can get an idea of what i can build. thanks.

2. aaggie

aaggie

Not sure but common sense would be that the mounting surface should be at least as large as the rubber body mount cushion. Most use a round bisquit about 3" in diameter.

3. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

I was thinking cutting the tubing about 3 & 1/2 inches long and cutting a 45* from one corner to the other.

Attached Files:

4. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

i wasnt really planning on using a rubber cushion for the mounts, but i am not set on that yet.

5. Tin Can

Tin Can

I think 2" would be good. My factory mounts on my 53 are only that wide. A rubber mudflap cut up would work well for the mounts. If you figure out how many mounts you are putting in I may have enough rubber pad mounts leftover from my project if they would work for you

6. jcs64

jcs64

2" hole and an old tire.
    Just cut holes in the side wall and use the 2" knockouts.

jeff

7. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

ok i'll use the tubing then. 3 1/2 is enough for the front of the cab but i think the rear mounts will need to be a bit longer. 4 mounts for the cab and 4 mounts for the bed. 8 mounts total. thanks Dan & Jeff.

8. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

I would not get too set on steel to steel body mounts unless you want a bunch of fractured sheet metal body parts. Don't take much rubber, but steel to steel is asking for trouble.

9. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

ok i wasnt aware of that. ive heard that race cars dont use rubber mounts due to body roll. i'll use some sort of rubber to dampen the vibrations then, thanks.

10. Fitty Toomuch

Fitty Toomuch
    from WVa

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

We use round rubber doughnuts that are sold at most 4 x 4 shops as Jeep body mount insulators. They come in various thicknesses, like 1/2 and 3/4 inch, and are about 2 inches in diameter (maybe 1.5) and have about a 3/8 inch hole in the center for the mounting bolt. They are hard rubber and only cost a buck or two each.

Don

I just looked at Fitty's picture, same thing except the ones we get have no metal parts with them, just poly or hard rubber.