Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Body Mounts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trifivepreserver, Apr 25, 2020.

1. trifivepreserver

trifivepreserver
    from concord nc

Can any of you Pontiac enthusiasts tell me if on a 55 Pontiac can the Trifive Chevy convertible mounts be used? The ones used on Pontiacs are square like the 55-57 Chevy convertibles.

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

No idea other than some parts work on both. I would think you can make them work or fab up some.

3. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I think they will work but the kit comes with shims that look like they are made of pressed cardboard (like factory). Installed per instructions but never could keep the door gaps to stay aliened so I replaced the "paper wafers" with home made Aluminum shims. Gaps never moved after that.
    sams4.jpg

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Similarly I've an off beat car ('46 Olds) and bought generic '46 Chevy mounts to use so I'll use generic shims if necessary.

loudbang likes this.

5. Energy Suspension has generic body mounts, worth a look.

6. kbgreen

kbgreen

On "some" GM cars, the hardtop bodies would have rubber material on top of the frame and under the frame so that the frame was sandwiched by the rubber. The convertibles on the other hand had rubber on top of the frame only because the convertible body needed better stiffening. Check you shop manual.