Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Body jig questions..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lukey, Oct 18, 2015.

1. lukey

lukey

I'm looking for ideas on building a body jig. I've been watching threads on people rebuilding bodies from scrap, from 5 or 6 bodies into one, etc. what I am wanting to do is square up a body that literally has no floor and is twisted (throw in a crooked chop for fun). I'm thinking if I build a jig that is square and level to mount the body on that is mounted to the floor, I can cut the roof back off, square up the panels, set the door and trunk gaps, etc and brace the body. Then go about frame and floor work. Still not sure if I'm using a stock frame or late model...will figure that out later. All I have right now is a body (46 ford coupe) no frame, no front clip, and the floor has been cut out. That's why I can't mount it on a stock frame and straighten and repair. Thank guys!

2. lukey

lukey

Here's the car if anyone cares. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1445169091.836950.jpg

3. Two shabby

Two shabby

Find someone with same car and take measurements off that.

4. 55willys

55willys

Get an unbent frame or the frame you are going to use. I am pretty sure that the front body mounts will still be there if not that is the place to start. The frame on these cars are not flat anywhere, they are a long sweeping dip. I rebuilt a convertible 47 a few years ago that was a cowl and a back half with no floor or rockers. If you can still buy premade rockers you will be ahead of the game. Measure a lot make sure everything is level before you start. Find where the problems really are and address them instead of tweaking other areas to compensate for something poorly done.

5. You'll need something stable to build it off of. The best thing for that is a good original frame. The easiest way to do it, Is start with a good for pan.

So your best way is out of the question and your easiest ways out of the question.

So it's going to be kind a like trying to nail Jell-O to the wall. Ask me how I know :)

Make a frame choice, stock, custom built, or swap. You could rig up a couple rails to start from but it will lead to rework when you set it down on the frame.

Turn buckles will come in real handy

6. I would also be interested in an answer on building a body jig .

I"ve priced the real deal units at about 6-7K.

Suggestions please to the original question

Oldmics

7. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

Check out the Green book for that era, should contain lots of measurements.

8. I would think a jig for the frame would be a better starting point. HRP

9. It will take about $850 - 1200 worth of measuring adjusting and bracing to get a loose and sloppy body squared up.

It's best to use the eye for final judgement.

They weren't perfect 60, 70,80 years ago, so making them even and symmetrical with tape measures, levels, transits today isn't going to ever happen without some serious work.

10. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

As stated already ... Frame and starting point... When I do a car from pieces you start from a known and go from there

Cowl and doors don't move much so I'd hang the cowl on the frame with doors mounted on good/rebuilt hinges and good gaps, then set the quarters on set gaps and weld together ,

take some measurements from a "good" car like the span between the doors L to R on the A and B pillar,
    And do diagonals on these posts

For the most part if your cowl is unbent and square on the frame and you have good door gaps and fitment , all will fall into place if you have trouble and have to force something together look for the reason why

A jig or fixture more than a few pieces of tubing to hold in place would only be needed for production or something used to push around something badly bent like using a portapower

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It is hardly worth building a jig for one body. I have trued up similar jobs without a jig. You need lots of jacks, like old scissor jacks from cars that will hold their adjustment (not hydraulic). You need to lift the body wherever it needs support and keep measuring and adjusting until it is level, square, and the doors and trunk lid fit nicely. Then you need to brace the door and trunk openings with conduit tubing or angle iron so they keep their adjustment.

Start by building the rocker panels and floor. Keep building and checking as you go. Tack each part in and recheck your measurements before you finish weld.

It is a slow process but you aren't paying by the hour so take your time, don't get in a rush, and you won't go far wrong. Worst case you make a mistake and have to redo an hour's work. That is, as long as you keep checking and don't get all finished before you discover the trunk lid won't fit lol.

12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

That car doesn't have a hole in it anywhere that I can see.

You don't need a jig or table just to do one body. You need lots of jacks, like scissor jacks, to lift and support the body. Possibly a couple of come alongs to pull it together. Get the body square and true, with the doors and trunk fitting and closing nice and weld in a few braces to keep it that way.Then you can weld in your rocker panels and floor. Keep checking for warpage every time you tack in a patch before you finish weld. It is a labor intensive process but what the heck you aren't paying by the hour. Take your time and always check your work and you will end up OK.

13. verde742

verde742

My.02 cents, If your gonna cut top off anyway, step up and buy another body/frame/ front end, and go from there, use your doors, etc.. There used to be two coupe a mile from my house, one got T-boned above the frame, and one got rolled. I will check, but they were cheap. Must be some out there near you, use craigslist, find one.

Can't really judge the chop from this angle, but at least 1/4 windows look good, build new gutters using tech article that was JUST on the HAMB, using solid round stock...good article,,

14. AndersF

AndersF

I would put it on the floor or build a big table.
    And then draw a big T to make my mesurements from.
    One line on the T would be the end and the other in the middle off the body
    to check the sides for symetry.