Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bodangora October 2018

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by spanners, Oct 29, 2018.

1. spanners

spanners

We're back ('bout bloody time). Bodangora Drags is held several times a year at the Wellington, N.S.W, regional airstrip. It's eighth mile but that's ok, it's easier on the gear. I was using it as a test and tune before the Nostalgias in Queensland next weekend. A leisurely 4 hour drive over one of the shittiest bits of road we call a major highway to get there and sleep in the car in the middle of a lucerne paddock, I gotta have rocks in my head. Mind you, it was beautiful and peaceful out there.
    The next day it was time to go racing. Mostly late model, sedan based stuff once again but I'll race anyone. After a couple of less than spectacular qualifying runs which involved missing 2nd gear on both of them, I managed a lazy 8.90 on the third.
    Then, onto the racing. For some bizarre reason I was put in the fastest bracket. Whether it was to just even out the numbers or what, there were some weird looks from some of the other racers. Tough shit I say. I'm here to race.

That was a breakout for me but I took the win with the other bloke red lighting.

I took the win with a backing off 8.96 on the 8.90 dial. The other bloke broke out.

That was a win. 8.98 backing off again.
    Now because of the rules and I was the only one with 3 wins, I took the winners trophy home. To say I was stoked would be an understatement. I only went to test the new engine, which ran beautifully I might add, but consistency won the day.
    I'll add this short video of one of the coolest racers. A Leyland Mini with a 302 Ford V8. Very neatly done and no slouch either.

Hooroo and off to Queensland next week. (just a short 10 hour drive to get there.

Crosley and Black Knight Racing like this.
  2. bobw

bobw

I like the videos, spanners. Those cars sure go by fast after the finish line.

3. robsimmons

robsimmons

Sweet! Thanks for posting those videos!

4. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Always look forward to your videos spanners. Sometimes it's so hard for me not to say, why don't you put a automatic in the car.;););):D You probably would pick up a second in the ET.

5. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Fun videos, as always. :cool:
    I particularly like that strip, and the "convoy" return procedure you've developed to adapt to a single road layout. ;)

6. spanners

spanners

Mr Mac. I'm a dyed in the wool gear jammer. I've been a truck driver for 40 years and still enjoy getting a gear change just right. I don't like driving my wife's 'shopping trolley' because it's an automatic. If I could build an Altered or FED I'd have a manual 'box preferably. I also enjoy it when another racer looks in and says "I couldn't change gears like that".

7. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Oh I thoroughly understand wanting to pull them gears. When we built one of the first HAMB dragsters the rules was no autos. Well as time went by 3 trans and 2 clutch explosions and getting beat by the only automatic running against us we gave in. It was just a matter of time and everybody went to autos. The et,s and mph's picked up dramatically. You just can't beat the damn torque converter. Keep up those great videos spanners we all love them.