Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Bob's Big Boy Broiler Opens In Downey!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cyclone Kevin, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

from Adriene.........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Most excellent pics. Thank you Mazooma1.

3. Adriene

Adriene

It was nice to meet Bernardo, visiting from Brasil. He's in the popular Brazilian band Madame Machado music + girls + cars ;) Thanks for hanging out and having dinner with all of us last night!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdmiE9endM0&feature=related

4. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Thanx Burny, C'mon Down when your time allows, we miss you!

Was a very nice Chili-Cruise last eve, Perhaps Chili Phil put a Chill in the air!
    The Broilers had an International Cruise Nite last eve. The Editor of French Publication "American Muscle Cars" showed up in his Flat 32 Primed Roadster,brought another Frenchman just off the plane, and The Broiler was the 1st place they hit.=Very cool!.

And our 2nd guest was shown above,Bernado who hails from Brazil and was checking out Art Center Pasadena and Cal State Long Beach,
    He says that they even have a Bob's type place in Brazil=2 Fun-e!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Happy Birthday Adriene !!!!!

6. Adriene

Adriene

Thank you everybody, I had a great time Saturday night! You guys are the best!

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

8. Damn....thanks Johnny Gee...........

9. Adriene

Adriene

HAMBurger cruise from Downey to Visalia? The City of Visalia has given the okay on the plans for the redesign of the historic Mearle's Drive-In (circa 1940). Mearle's will become The Habit Burger Grill, grand opening possibly as early as summer.

Architectural rendering of new design:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/<WBR>forum/showthread.php?t=527859

10. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

photos from Adriene................

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The Boys up in SCV are gonna like seeing the Missed Shifts jacket. Was a long day, 13 plus hrs. for Brian and I. Was nice meeting Barry Meguiar, I have to say he is a very much a people person as he approached me and many others to say hello and chat a bit.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  12. Adriene

Adriene

Thanks for posting these, Doug! I felt sorry for all the guys who had to drive their roadsters home in the rain.

13. Koala Kruizer

Koala Kruizer

Looks like John and Brian like playing pocket pool "IIIiiiiiiiii make big circle, wax on, wax off" :D

14. Hey Johnny...whos 56 is that with that "chrome"thing hangi noff the front of it.....looks lke a bumper........so it cant be yours..........I hope,I still got another front axle when you decide to come over to the dark side........

15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Yo Meatball...ya know you like how it's hang'n, you took enough pictures of it :eek::D.

16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Broiler's are doing another airport run for breakfast/lunch. This time to Maniac Mikes Cafe' @ Cable Airport in Upland, Sat. March 19th 2011. Will be meeting up here at the Broiler 7447 Firestone Blvd. Downey Ca. 90241 at around 9am to grab coffee and chat as people arrive. The cruz will be thru Carbon Canyon in to Chino then north to the airport.
    We will be having some added company this time with the likes of el Jimmy the Broilers very own owner at large, "room for 4 at this barstool" Dave and AnnaLisa, get you in a 69, caddy that is, Dutch.
    Should be a good time and with a menu with such items as "the Crop Duster" "the Touch-N-Go" and "the Ace" the eats will be good. Click on the link and see for yourself. http://www.maniac-mikes.com/ Hope to see ya soon. Johnny
    Note: Due to rain in the forcasted for the 19th we may have to push it back a week.
    Just Added 3/17/11 We might get it done this Sat.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  17. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Should I get there @ 10am, we do lose an hour of sleep after all this weekend,perhaps I should make up for it next Sat ;). See ya tonite J.G. don't forget to put the cue balls away!
    Adriene, Rooster Tails over 15' high all the way to Whittier Narrows Dam area. Then Dry as could be, poor Glenn had to keep wiping the windsheild in order to see out before then. I'm glad that Maguires saw the roadster kinda dusty, cuz they were kinda giving it a lookover, I told Barry that the reason for the oxidized paint was because i used Mothers ;). After they set the cars Glen & I seized some of the Maguires spray wax and gave it a sheen-and informed "Mr. Maguire,The 34 is ready for her close up" ;).

18. Johnny  B

Johnny B

the broiler was packed tonight lots of nice cars...

19. ImForwardlook

ImForwardlook

Didn't see this thread before....simply wonderful! Great to see that this historic place was saved in the last minute, THANK YOU for all that have been involved in this project! Have to add this to my "must visit" spots in California, I had the privilege to visit the Big Boy in Toluca Lake in 2007...the food and cars were great but what really made me humble was to think about the long history of the place and how different it has been for a car nut to grow up in southern California instead of northern Europe...of course I have always known it but on moments like that it really hits you in the face. Keep preserving that history guys!

Regarding the Toluca Lake BBB, how could anyone even think of razing someting like this from 1949? I guess that the same kind of empty souls responsible for Harvey's Broiler demolition attempt...

[​IMG]

20. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

ImForwardlook,
    The same guys that saved Harvey's were also involved with saving Toluca Lake BBB. It was slated for demolition in 1992 and in late 91 a couple different groups got together and brought historical presevation together with cars. The L.A.Conservancy's Modern Commitee and a group of car guys that hung out there didn't want to see what had happened to great places such as Ship's Coffee Shop in Westwood.

Adriene and I being part of both groups say Thank You as well for making a trek all the way from Finland to see these great places ;). There are many more to to save but it takes everyone to get involved and be heard.
    We have been quite fortunate to have the Broiler built better than ever!
    W/o the HAMB as well this might not have happened.

21. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

No Rain in Downey today, So Lets go! We're about ready to leave so if your nearby come on out for a great cruise to a pretty cool airport.

22. ImForwardlook

ImForwardlook

Thanks for sharing that info! I would visit much more often if I could afford it, I sure am looking forward to the next one and no way I'd miss a visit to Harvey's! As a sidenote, my first visit to the US was in 1989, still remember the moment when I stepped out of the Delta terminal, had to sit down and look at the traffic for a good while. It may sound odd but it was like coming home after a long time away. Still feel that every time. Some of us have simply been born in the wrong place. I know it is hard to realize things that have always been around you but I think every car nut should stop and think what a stroke of luck it was being born in America. Keep up the good work guys and I wish good luck and prosperity for Harvey's!

23. t-rod

t-rod

The wife and I were in SoCal this last week and hit the Wed cruise nite. Jonny Gee, knunks1930 and many others showed us a great time! Thanks for my favorite night of our trip!

24. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

ImForwardlook,
    Thanx for the cool words, Yes-very lucky sometimes. Things here are changing just as they are everywhere in the world and cars and cool places to go to are what keeps this HAMBer sane ;). When you're out here in So-Cal, look us up, it'll be a pleasure to share history. For more of these cool places,ck out So-Cal Eats 1-2, Adriene and John worked very hard on this book and it includes many of these cool places.

T-Rod, very nice to meet ya as well,so cool to be your favorite nite of your trip.
    Bring your T on the next visit,You're always welcome at the Broiler:) .

CK.

25. Adriene

Adriene

ImForwardlook,

Appreciation from folks like you -- who come to visit from across the globe -- helps inspire us! Thanks for making our history a part of yours. I look forward to meeting you the next time around. Adriene

26. ImForwardlook

ImForwardlook

Thanks for the kind words Kevin and Adriene! And thanks for the book tip, I was just going to make an order from Amazon, have to add these to the list! And regarding the changing world...I try to avoid that by collecting old stuff and looking the other way...:)

27. Adriene

Adriene

I attended a SEMA meeting last nite so I wasn't able to get to Downey for CK's Wed. nite cruise. Heard I missed the debut of his Cyclone Racing Equipment Special 64c, an environmentally friendly 1932 hot rod in a 1960’s guise that he's been building using 95% recycled parts...is that right, K??/COLOR]

28. Adriene, that car is really nice. Kevin nailed the look, 100%!

29. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks A & Chili,
    We kept seeing GM's E-Rod showing up @ the Broiler and So-Cal's E-Rod powered special on the tube so we too decided to do our part in reducing "our carbon footprint" by recycing hot rod parts "One Piece @ a Time". Even the HAMB is involved because that is where a majoriity of the underpinings came from and I left them just as the were received other than adding some period correct items to give it some "pre-flower power personality".
    I'll see if I can shoot some pics off to Mazooma for loading.

30. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Kevin

I look forward to seeing the pictures of your roadster.

It has all the makings of one bitchin hot rod.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.