Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Bob's Big Boy Broiler Opens In Downey!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cyclone Kevin, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

It's so beautiful, wish i could go tonite!!:mad:

Well done!! Im definitely taking my wife there for a burger as soon as we can!!

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I should be able to get there by then. See you guys there... in the daily also (of course).

3. Thats rad!, Thanks for posting the pictures. I cant wait...The next time im in So-Cal, I'm going their. :D

4. Lucky444

Lucky444

They did an incredible job of restoring that place. I still remember the first photos I saw here on the HAMB when it was partially (illegally) torn down. Awesome turn around story!

Justice!

5. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I'm coming. Wednesday that is. I'll be in either the RPU or the Studebaker.

6. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

I wonder if I get free burgers in exchange for them using my coupe hahahahahahaa
    WTF???

[​IMG]

7. 29Coupe

29Coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

I have 2 sick kids right now so I'm not sure if I can make it tomorrow.

Have fun guys.

9. Burny

Burny

I think you need to talk to team "Swolen"... (look at lower left, says "designed and printed by: Team Swolen")

They need better signage for the car hop anyway...

I'll be there late Wednesday, around 8...

10. i'll be there weds after work.......wonder how traffic is gonna be at 4:30......crappy of course :).

11. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks everyone 4 dropping by Altered Pilot is standing to my left as I write this.:).
    Can't wait till Weds.

12. Deu55

Deu55

Looks great thanx to all the hard work from Cyclone Kevin,a must stop for visiting Aussies..

13. Just got back from the broiler.

all i can say is... AMAZING.

I haven't been over there with any real purpose in about 20 years. I mean, i've driven past it numerous times but never had much reason to stop. i only ever went on wednesdays when i was a teenager, and i never had a cool enough car nor did i ever get there early enough to pull into the parking lot. so for the first time, i got to pull in and park my car under the canopy. magical.

at 10 o'clock the place was packed with a wait, and at 12 when we left people were still wandering in.

the pics tell a story but they really can't express just how freaking awesome the entire project is. BIG PROPS to EVERYONE involved!

Kevin was gracious enough to sit with my wife and i for about an hour and give us the whole story more or less and put all of the pieces of the puzzle together.

its amazing what a small group of people with passion and purpose can accomplish.

Long Live The Broiler!

see you weds.

14. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

5 years - that you-beaut phone you saw that I had is about to go into the bin, as after 18 months its knackered!!! consider yourself lucky!!!

thanks for showing me around, I had a ball, and would never have got to the places we went to without you.

I'm saving the $ to get back ..... so look out ;)

well done to all concerned with the Broiler - please HAMBers go there, and make this joint the success it deserves.

15. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

Kevin , well done . ya guna need these for the homesick KIWI Boys..........:D
    [​IMG]

16. cruzr

cruzr

one more day........Wed night here i come!

17. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Lets See if I left NY now I could be there in ........nah my wife would kill me. Good Job to all who helped !!!

18. John H

John H

Got there last night around 830. Wow!!! Just totally awesome!! Put our name in to get a table and ended up only having to wait 20 minutes, which was also impressive as they told us the wait would be 75 minutes. (There were three of us). There were several old cars parked in front and on the lot. The place was totally packed! Spotted a wed night regular that I knew from 20 years ago and just started to talking to him when our table was called. (I had spoke to him on the phone last year but hadn't seen him in about 15-16 years) The work is incredible, I was very moved as I started to take pics...will get some up hopefully tonight. thank you Kevin and everybody...just a masterpiece of work!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  19. John B

John B

When the saga first started it made me sick to think another icon was going away. Now I feel pride in knowing that sometimes the icons can be saved. I sent emails and followed along as this place came back to life. I like to think that the opinion of the public for once has made it through to the powers that be.

Great work to those who spearheaded this campaign. You all deserve to be recognized for your hard work.

20. Bash

Bash

My friend, Ron Morgan and I were there for the HAMB cruise night last Thursday,
    but, it was a no-show for HAMBer's even though it was a beautiful night. Granted, it wasn't open yet, but, it was still worth the trip.

If any of you are taking photos Wednesday night, I'd like to see them. I'm
    planning to do a followup article, and, could use a photo or two.

Thanks,

Bash

www.kentbash.com

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  21. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

GREAT KEVIN...know when are you going to open 1 in waxahachie tx. ha!!! man i would kill too be there. but we do have conics in this area. WHAT? your new friend in texas yeeeehaaaa!... call me POP

22. 32gal

32gal
    from The OC

Cruzr and I are really anticipating Wednesday night. Looking forward to seeing all the fellow Hambers there!

23. Vinny of Destruction

Vinny of Destruction
    from wisconsin

Fanfreakintastic!!! Its allways great to see a piece of history live on !!!

24. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

this is great !!! will be in socal at the end of the month so i will make the visit...and will be wearing the save harveys t-shirt i bought way back when!! congrats kevin and thanks for spearheading this rescue of a piece americana!!!!

25. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

I rolled down there with my mate Brendan and his car (orange 57 Chrysler for those who were there) we had a blast and it was great to kick back in a such a perfectly set out place with such history. The staff made a real effort for those there with cars and I met some great Folk...perhaps I spoke to some of you out there. Was encouraging to see so many young kids there eager to talk about the cars with real enthusiasm.

The broiler is another one of those parts of car culture I always hoped I'd get to experience growing up in the UK and I can't say I'm disappointed.

26. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

That's pretty cool. I was in California about 2 and a half years ago and just by chance drove by the place. It was wrecked, but I did a double take because I recognized the remains from the pictures on the original thread. It was a sad sight, really did look like a bomb went off. Anyway, y'all did good.

27. another place to add to the list of "must visit" for international travellers passing through socal.... :D (well it just got added to my list!)

28. Adriene

Adriene

<table class="forumline" valign="top" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="row1" align="left" valign="top" width="150">Adriene
    Modern Master
    [​IMG]

</td> <td class="row1" valign="top" width="100%" height="28"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td width="100%">[​IMG]Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:09 pm Post subject: </td> <td valign="top" nowrap="nowrap">[​IMG] </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2"><hr></td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2">Since I can't drive or be up and about, I would like to ride over to the Broiler on Halloween night in the Ghostbusters ambulance!! That would be too cool, to just lie there under the car canopy with a drive-in tray clipped to the side sipping a Silver Goblet milkshake!!!!

The last time I talked to the Ghostbusters guy was at Bob's Big Boy in Toluca Lake during the Red Cross Blood Drive...does anyone have his contact info???

I have to be there.
    </td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

29. flyin-t

flyin-t

30. WOW! Just read the article about Mels closing. Pretty weird that Johnnys re-opens and Mels closes! Everytime i've been to Mels,it's been packed! Go figure!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.