Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bobbing Model A rear fenders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crashbox, Oct 15, 2009.

1. crashbox

crashbox

I want to shorten, aka bob, the rear fenders on my A-bomb. It looks to me like the best place to do this is right at the top of the fender as the crown is the same demention. These fenders have a style type crown on the outer edge that gets smaller the closer to the ends you get, and is widest at the top and is the same for about six or seven inches, so I'm thinking of taking five inches out at that point.
    Any advice, thoughts or pix to share with your basic Hackman/Caveman?

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

i saw some that the guy cut them down before they curve back up near the bottom.(the sweep of the fender i call it).didnt look good at all.
    i know thats not what your saying, just wanted to throw that out there for you

3. here's how Drew Didio bobbed 5" out of mine...

Stock 30-31 fenders:

[​IMG]

Here is the sectioning. The bottom sweep is retained, and a vertical piece is used to retain the continuity. 5 inches total removed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finished product...

[​IMG]

DrewModelA likes this.
  4. dirtcop

dirtcop

I bobbed my 1930 coupe fenders 4". The splice is about 6 inches from the bottom edge (just below support bracket hole). It took a few vertical cuts to make it align correctly. The more you cut out, the more difficult it will be. Good luck.

Attached Files:

5. Vergil

Vergil

6. hvychvy

hvychvy

Killer,man that looks good!!!

7. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I attempted this on my sedan and ruined a great fender. I think doing it like above it a nice way to tackle it. I tried to just take a section out (where it was the same width) but it just did not work.. but I think fendered sedans need them shortened.

8. Anyone have an example How bobbed fenders would look without running boards?