Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Bob Osiecki and Mad Dog IV

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by frank spittle, Dec 4, 2009.

1. frank spittle

frank spittle

I have been a member of the HAMB for awhile now and have enjoyed reading about guys who were instrumental in advancing early hot rodding. I have at one time or another read about most of these guys over the last fifty years but some who were equally important.....well I had never heard of. One individual who was probably the most important hot rodder here in NASCAR country back in the Fifties was Bob Osiecki. Many of you have never heard of him so I am going to fix that now.

Bob Osiecki only lived 43 years but during his last 10 years there was probably no one who did more for us hot rodders. Throughout the Fifties he sold speed equipment to hot rodders and racers in Charlotte. I was only 12 years old in 1956 when he opened Chester Dragstrip. He also created The Charlotte Custom Car Show the following year. Most gearheads were into drag racing or round track racing. Osiecki was into both.

Chester Dragstrip, in Chester South Carolina, quickly became one of America's premier dragstrips due to his vision and leadership. He booked in the stars which brought in the spectators which attracted the local racers. One of the most famous drag racing accidents happened there in 1958 when Don Garlits was severely burned in his AA/FD. Art Malone was hired by Garlits to fulfill his booking committments. More on that later. By the time I was old enough to drive to a drag race Chester had closed due I believe to the lease not being renewed.

Osiecki founded the Charlotte Custom Car Show in 1957 when there was a tremendous hunger for one. It also became a major national show due to him booking in famous Rod and Customs. It was a winter show when all the local race tracks were closed so he had the market cornered on gearheads.

Osiecki was also a NASCAR team owner during the mid to late Fifties, entering two '57 Plymouths in the '57 Daytona 500. I believe at least one of his cars also ran the flying mile. Remember this was still on the beach course. But it was in 1961 that Bob Osiecki went from being nationally famous to internationally famous. In 1960 Big Bill France offered $10,000.00 to anyone who could break the 180 MPH barrier at the two year old Daytona Speedway. To let you know what an impossible goal that was the Daytona pole record was just over 150 mph. The world's closed course speed record was 177.38 mph set by Tony Bettenhausen in Monza, Italy. But like I say Bob Osiecki dreamed outside the box. In January, 1961 he purchased a Frank Kurtis Indy roadster built in 1958 for Ray Nichols. It was a 100 inch wheelbase 2350 lb car that Nichols set up Pontiac powered (remember he was NASCAR) to run the Indianapolis 500 but never did. Osiecki immediately switched to a GMC 6.71 supercharged Chrysler 413 prepared by the Isky shop in Los Angeles. Osiecki's race cars were nicknamed "Mad Dog" so this car would be known as "Mad Dog IV". In just one month the car was ready for Daytona Speedweek. It was the talk of the week. No one thought it was possible.....except Osiecki. To add a little hope and at the same time make it seem impossible Fireball Roberts set a new pole record of 155.709 in his Smokey Yunick prepared '61 Pontiac. But that was almost 25 mph shy of the goal. Osiecki's first driver was Brian Naylor but he could only better Robert's Pole record by 2 mph at 157. Hot shoe Larry Frank was next and turned a lap speed of 166 mph but on the second lap spun it out on the back stretch leaving a 2100 foot long black mark banging up the nose and tail. Frank told Osiecki it couldn't be done and left. Osiecki thought otherwise. With the help of the Georgia Tech wind tunnel and some aircraft engineers from Douglas Aircraft they came up with a pair of inverted airfoils (wings) to produce downforce. They were mounted next to the rollcage and would be fatal to the driver if the car crashed into the wall. Osiecki turned down offers to drive from NASCAR stars and remembered the fearlessness of Fuel Dragster driver Art Malone and contacted him. Malone had a young family and needed the money. But Malone had only gone fast going straight and demanded extensive testing at the track at lower speeds. Over 7 days, 14 sets of tires were used up but they got the car into the high 160s with no handling problems. On August 5th 1961 Malone ran his first attempt at 180 mph. He ran 177.479 to set a new closed course record and bring it back home to the USA. On August 21st Malone ran a new record 178.253. By this time world reporters were at Daytona and Mrs. France was selling tickets to the curious public. On August 23rd Malone nearly lost his life in a 178 mph spinout in the same area Frank had spun out but like Frank, Malone did not hit anything. I can only imagine the courage it took for Malone to know how close he came to losing his life but to continue on. On August 27th 1961 Art Malone drove Bob Osiecki's "Mad Dog IV" to a lap speed of 181.561 MPH. Big dreamer Osiecki never doubted. Bill France gladly wrote the $10,000.00 check. I interviewed Malone years ago when I had the "Mad Dog IV" on loan at a show I organized in Charlotte. The Osiecki family, who still live in Charlotte, still own it. Malone said it was the highlight of his entire racing career but still gets goosebumps thinking about the wings. While talking to Don Garlits a few weeks ago he told me that Malone had called him and told him "Mad Dog IV" will be sold at (I believe) the Indy Museum Auction soon and he hoped it could end up in Garlits' museum.

Bob Osiecki died of a heart attack in 1964 at the young age of 43. He had just opened a Dodge dealership in Florence, South Carolina. Guys my age still talk about him and his accomplishments with great appreciation. And the racing community will forever be grateful for his development of down force to aid traction.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. Frank : Great bit of history there..Thanks for posting
    The Osiecki shop,if I recall , was on West Morehead Street, just a few doors west of where (now) Freedom Drive intersects W.Morehead.. I think theres a body shop in that building now...I also worked with a guy that had a 383/413(?) mid 60's Dodge Dart that Bob supposedly had built..

How's the latest FX project coming along??

Stan
    Gastonia NC

3. Quite familiar with the story and met and flagged Art Malone many times at the old Golden Triangle drag strip in Oldsmar, FL. He was one of those guys you knew was fearless and he was quite a driver. Art Malone was always a player when he was at the track. Few realize that what he did with the Mad Dog was really on the ragged edge, before any safety devices had been thought of. Those were great days even at our little track.

volvobrynk and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. frank spittle

frank spittle

Yes Stan, one of Osiecki's shops was at Morehead and Freedom Drive and yes he did build a new '61 Dodge Lancer with a NASCAR 413 to drive on the street. I was still in high school and that car was the the main topic when we started talking fast cars.

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The M-D IV was a Firestone test vehicle, maintained by Nichels, before Osiecki got it.

Attached Files:

• tmp4EC.jpg
      tmp4EC.jpg
      File size:
      206 KB
      Views:
    • md2.jpg
      md2.jpg
      File size:
      110.1 KB
      Views:
    • md3.jpg
      md3.jpg
      File size:
      393.8 KB
      Views:
    • md4.jpg
      md4.jpg
      File size:
      142.3 KB
      Views:
    Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. frank spittle

frank spittle

Thanks for those great pictures and info. They show in great detail how a crash into the wall would have decapitated Malone. I can see how it will still make goosebumps on him just remembering.

7. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Remember reading about the France offer, Bob, Art, and the Mag Dog IV at the time [along with the Garlits/Chester incident] but never knew all of Bob's background. Thanks everyone for filling in the blanks.

Always amazes me when I look back that the vision, work ethic, and fortitude pioneers had in accomplishing what they did with what they had to work with at the time.

Ed

8. frank spittle

frank spittle

Just a reminder that it was 50 years ago this year that Art Malone set the world closed course record at Daytona at over 180 mph and took the Bill France $10,000.00 prize. I hope he is doing well.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  9. k9racer

k9racer

Bob O built a very fast 39 ford and put dawsonville/atlanta race car driver {{moonshine trip boy}} Ed Samples at the wheel. This was done to beat the Red Voit built cars that Raymond Parks owned.

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I will never forget seeing the photos of that thing in Car Life when I was a kid. Indy roadster with a tail fin & a blown injected Hemi, what could be better to a little kid in the early sixties?

Edit, just noticed the "413", I always thought it was a dodge red-ram??

11. Zaemo

Zaemo
    BANNED
    from Atlanta

A friend of mine just got some aluminum Osieki flat head heads. I'll try to get a picture. They are pretty sweet looking. Thanks for the history.

Z

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. Good to see you here Frank. I really enjoy reading your stories of T/F bike racing over on the Jockey Journal. Granddaddy Joe's stories are great too.

13. frank spittle

frank spittle

Thanks Dean, I always enjoy reading your posts on the HAMB. Didn't know you were following VINTAGE FUEL DRAG BIKES on the Jockey Journal. Thanks.

14. sololobo

sololobo

Outstanding post, wonderful info about some real fantastic historical events. It also makes me aware of the total daredevil attitudes of guys like Art Malone and Don Garlits. Most folks having accidents, high speed spins and incidents like that would have hung up the racing shoes. Thank you for sharing this insightful history. ~sololobo~

15. tpahemi

tpahemi

I have lived most of my life in and around Tampa. Back in the early 60s while Garlits had his shop on north Nebraska Ave, he ate breakfast at a small cafe on North Florida ave. AT different times, Malone, Swingle, Ed Smith, Big John Ballard, and others would have coffee with Don. Some impressions from sitting over in the corner marveling it who I was in the same coffeeshop with: Don- a little swagger, could definately deliver the performace to go with the swagger. Connie Swingle, Never got the true public reconigtion due him, fortunately he could have cared less about it. Art Malone- a true southern gentableman, and still is to this day. Big John Ballard, I am sure you never heard of him, he maintained a lower profile than Swingle, Ifyou ever have the opporunity to talk with Garlits or Malone about their early days in Tampa, mention Ballard ,I as sure you would suprise them. Thanks for reading my ramblings, now it is time for my medications!

16. Yeah, Frank, I used to love watching Joe Smith, Borris Murray, Martinez & McEvoy, and other stars of the 60's run at San Gabe, Irwindale and LIONS. Even got to see Clem Johnson's Barn Job run once at LIONS. Also saw Leo Payne clean house one night at LIONS during one of his western tours. I always thought you fuel bike guys had the biggest huevos in drag racing!

If any other HAMBers here are at all interested in T/F bikes from back in the day, you need to check out Frank's thread on the Jockey Journal. Great stories for the guys who were there.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. frank spittle

frank spittle

art m.jpg Here is one of the rewards (other than the $10,000.00 cash) Art Malone received for setting the world closed course record at Daytona in 1961. In doing so he proved he had Super Speedway skills which resulted in a ride in the Indianapolis 500. Life was good. Does anyone know if it was Studebaker powered?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  18. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

It was Novi powered.

19. frank spittle

frank spittle

Thanks,
    I assume it was a Granatelli owned car since it was Studebaker sponsored.

20. Jon Lundberg

Jon Lundberg

Have spoken with Malone about that historic drive. Art told me he could handle the horsepower and acceleration OK, but at 200 MPH, Daytona's turns looked - to him - as if they were 90-degrees! Said he had to literally "talk" himself through each one.

Obviously, that worked!

21. hlfuzzball

hlfuzzball
    from Michigan

PRESS RELEASE
    The Museum of Drag Racing, Ocala Florida has acquired the historical race car, Mad Dog[​IMG] IV, driven by world famous Art Malone in 1961 to become the first person over 180 miles per hour on a closed course. The actual speed was; 181.561 MPH. The car, build and owned by Bob Osiecki of Charlotte NC, won the $10,000.00 prize, posted by NASCAR President and Founder, Bill France. Mr. France posted the prize for anyone that exceeded 180 MPH at the World famous Daytona Speedway. On August 28th, 1961, Art Malone, a fearless young man, 25 years of age, climbed into the cockpit of the Mad Dog IV, a Curtis Race Car with wings, powered by a Blown Dodge 450 CID wedge engine and [​IMG]traveled around the 2.5 mile Daytona Speedway in a lap that was timed at 49.57 seconds for an average speed of; 181.561 MPH! Bill France personally presented the check to Bob and Art for an amazing feat, back in 1961. The car has been displayed for many years at different museums, but this is the last stop as we have acquired the vehicle from it's owner Tom Osiecki, Bob's son, as Bob Osiecki has since passed away. The NASCAR fans will be happy to learn that the Drag Racing Museum has purchased the car for permanent display here in Florida.
    [​IMG]
    For more information please contact;
    Don Garlits
    Museum of Drag Racing
    13700 SW 16th Ave.
    Ocala, FL 34473
    [email protected]

22. frank spittle

frank spittle

Mad Dog IV.jpg Mad Dog IV was on display in the NASCAR Museum for many years. I took this picture about 20 years ago while there for Speedweek. It had been rolled outside to attract attention to the Museum.

23. frank spittle

frank spittle

This thread has been dormant for over a year and a half. Some of you new members might enjoy the story.

Doug4theWin and volvobrynk like this.
  24. frank spittle

frank spittle

Many of you are familiar with the birth of the Muscle Car era in the mid '50s and the Dodge D-500-1. I just read a story by Tom Hoover, who is an expert on Chrysler history, about these cars. They were introduced in January 1956 and were powered by the twin four barrel 315 cubic inch Dodge Hemi engine.

Many drag racing historians consider the D-500-1 the winner of the very first Super Stock race ever held, at The World Series of Drag Racing in Lawrenceville Illinois in August 1956. Ed Lyons and Arnie Beswick were both driving D-500-1 cars and Lyon won.

In Mr. Hoover's article he states that at the '56 Daytona Speedweeks Carl Kiekhaefer had two and Bob Osiecki had one of these cars and on Feb 21st Osiecki's driver Danny Eames won the Class 6 Flying Mile with a northbound speed of 128.205 mph and a southbound speed of 133.038 for an average of 130.577. Eames also won the Class 6 Standing Start Mile with a speed of 81.786 mph. This is something I have not read about before.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
    Doug4theWin likes this.
  25. frank spittle

frank spittle

Here is more on the remarkable courage it took for Art Malone to set the World Closed Course record in Mad Dog IV. The very car he drove to set the record was built in 1958 by Frank Kurtis for Firestone to test tires for the upcoming USAC Indy style race at the "under construction" Daytona International Speedway. Ray Nichels was hired by Firestone as team manager. The Pontiac powered car was tested extensively at Indy and other world famous tracks including Monza Italy which held the closed course record due to it's high banked turns like Daytona.

There was much excitement in early '59 as the new Daytona track was near conducting two major races, the Daytona 500 in February and the USAC Indy style race 2 months later. Retired NASCAR legend and pioneer Stock Car driver Marshall Teague was coming out of retirement. Teague drove "THE FABULOUS HUDSON HORNET" that Doc Hudson was fashioned after in the movie "Cars". But Teague was not coming out of retirement to drive a Stock Car. It was to drive in the USAC race.

The track opened for testing several weeks before the Daytona 500 and Teague had his Offy powered Kurtis built roadster out on the track. He shocked the racing world by turning a lap of 171 mph, just 6 mph off the world record. It was stunning since he had retired 7 years earlier in 1952 after winning 7 of the 23 NASCAR Grand National races he entered. He was overheard saying he was just getting started again. But on Feb. 11th, just 11 days before the Daytona 500, Teague was out testing again and was killed. It was devastating.

Then on April 4th during the first of the two USAC races George Amick lost his life on the last lap of the first race battling for position. His mangled car crossed the finish line in 4th place. The second race was shortened by half. Jim Rathmann won both races but it would be the last USAC race at Daytona. Some say it was USAC's call but others say it was France who said no more.

But France got over losing his friend Marshall Teague and seeing Amick's grissly crash when he offered the 10 grand two years later. And Bob Osiecki purchased the very car that was built to develop tires for the '59 Daytona Indy race to break the record and win the money.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  26. frank spittle

frank spittle

I was talking to Don Garlits today and Bob Osiecki came up. Don told me that Osiecki founded the International Timing Association, the organization that sanctioned the drag races at Osiecki's Chester Drag Strip.

Osiecki's endeavors may have been unparalled in the '50s. It may have had something to do with his death at age 43 in 1964.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
    Doug4theWin and volvobrynk like this.
  27. 296ardun

296ardun

Frank, thanks for reopening this thread, it is a great story and one that newer members may not have heard....I saw Mad Dog some years ago at the museum at Talledega, outside next to an early Arfons Green Monster...not in good shape then, glad Garlits has it now.

28. frank spittle

frank spittle

ITA.jpg Here is Bob Osiecki in his Chester South Carolina office in about 1957. This served as the headquarters of the International Timing Association and his speed equipment and shop location.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  29. frank spittle

frank spittle

Osiecki heads.jpg I knew he made them but until now I have not seen any Osiecki aluminum heads for a flathead Ford or Mercury. Thanks goes out to Ken Gross who took this picture at Hershey last year and included it in a recent Old Cars article on hot rod parts at Hershey.

Pete L., volvobrynk and kidcampbell71 like this.
  30. If I'm not mistaken, I saw that same set of Osiecki heads at the Spring Charlotte Autofair '13
    and they were priced at $1800.00 then.... Wonder how many sets exist today ??