Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bob Drake U Joint

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Branded, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Branded

Branded

2. Bursonaw

Bursonaw

I am using one on my 36 Ford and I have had no issues. It is high quality.

I have also used an original Lincoln U-Joint on my 41 Ford for over 40 years and it is still runs strong.

Hope this helps in your decision.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. I installed one 4 years ago, have over 5000 miles on it since, no issues, seemed to be well made.

4. Branded

Branded

I’ve read ! The u-joint doesn't tighten up against the rear out put bearing thus allowing the output shaft to move forward and trash the front synchronizer.

With the u-joint installed and the bolt and washer tightened up the u-joint can be moved about 1/4" in and out on the output shaft. With the bolt tight the u-joint should tighten against the rear transmission bearing to prevent any movement of the output shaft.

Fairlane500 likes this.

5. rusty valley

rusty valley

that is correct, with the bolt tight, output shaft should be tight against the bearing. i cant believe drake would make that mistake. while i dont like his business practices, "back order bob" usually makes pretty good stuff. just my opinion, never used the lincoln joint or heard of the issues

6. rusty valley

rusty valley

quite a bit of chatter over at the barn on this, good thing you asked over there !!

7. Branded

Branded

Yes there is, I think I’ll stick with the tried and true Ford U joint. Probably take a stab at rebuilding my original u joint, can’t be that much to it.