Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods bob drake gas tank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by codsterracin, May 12, 2016.

1. codsterracin

codsterracin
    from ny

Drake gas tanks accept original fuel line (1/4") is that adequate to use running a SBC (283) with 2x4's ?

2. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a 47 ford coupe and had bought an original replacement tank for it, which only had the 1/4 inch line. I was told that it would be inadequate for my 355 chevy running a 650 edlebrock carb. Ended up selling it and buying a Tanks Inch. poly replacement tank which had a 3/8" line. Then sold the car, so can't tell you how it ran.

3. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

I would go 3/8......even 5/16 would be marginal

4. I don't know about your tank , but I have changed the supply tube to a 3/8" on one of my tanks.
    Do it before you put fuel in it.!!! I silver soldered mine.

5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had 5/16'' fuel line on my '55 Buick with a 401 and 2x4 500 Edelbrocks. Never experienced any fuel starvation, even when drag racing it a few times.

6. I have a 5/16" line on my Ford with the 355 Chevy, my bother thinks it would be marginal, time will tell. Most of those run through the sock in the tank. We thought about loading up the female thread where the fitting goes with grease (to catch most of the chips) and open it up. Of course with the tank empty and out, flush it through with some solvent. Then go with a 3/8" hard line all the way to the fuel pump.

7. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I have 3/8" fuel lines on both my Deuce roadster and '46 woodie. I don't understand why a tank manufacturer would not put an over sized bung in their tank's. You can always put a bushing in it to make it smaller but to make it larger is a job, 1/4" sounds small to me.

8. That's what my stock 57 Vette 270hp dual 4s had from the factory....would run a hole in the wind..
    I don't think you will have any problems with your tank

9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it's easy enough to get to now is indeed the time. I have a new Drake tank as well. Now I'm going out there and take a look, might do a bigger line too. I'm just a stock flatty but that could change. Better to do it now is my thought...