Register now to get rid of these ads!

blue layout dye?? what's it called? where do I get it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FoxSpeed, Apr 21, 2011.

  1. FoxSpeed
    Joined: May 19, 2009
    Posts: 385

    from NorCal

    I am looking to get some of that blue dye to layout some cuts in metal. I've seen it used, have no idea what it is called, or where to purchase. Can you help?
  2. sacredsteel1
    Joined: Nov 15, 2003
    Posts: 174


    I believe its called just that, "Layout Dye". In my area the local Car Quest has it in the section with the welding/grinding supplies. Also any welding supply should carry it.
  3. mogara
    Joined: Mar 10, 2006
    Posts: 143


    Dykem. I get it at the local machine tool supplier. I'm sure its available online.
  4. The brand name most popular is Dykem, you can sometimes find it at your LWS, or Local Welding Supplier. Grainger is another. Fastenal should have it also. In a pinch you can clean the metal with Laquer thinner and use a BROAD felt tip marker. Dykem is available in red also FWIW.

  5. dirtbag13
    Joined: Jun 16, 2008
    Posts: 2,540


  6. Dykem is a brand name but it is also the recognized name for layout dye. If you go to any of the mentioned sources and say dykem they will know what you are talking about.

    Just wanted to throw that out there.
  7. Dykem, layout dye. same thing red or blue.
  8. RacerRick
    Joined: May 16, 2005
    Posts: 2,753


    I have also heard it called machinists blue.
  9. Hey Rick, prussian blue is actually non hardening. Best used for checking mating surfaces. We use it in the race shop for checking distrib. gear and cam gear fitment. If you use a adjustable collar on the dizzy, or just for blueprinting in general to see if the dizzy needs to be shimed or the collar turned. Hope that helps buddy:D What do you think of the new MOROSO?
  10. pasadenahotrod
    Joined: Feb 13, 2007
    Posts: 11,776

    from Texas

    Dykem Blue was what they used at the sheet metal shop that made our panels.
  11. skidmarks, the spray can is the deal for sheet metal or long lines on sticks of tubing like if you make your own 32 style frame rails!!!
  12. chaos10meter
    Joined: Feb 21, 2007
    Posts: 2,191

    from PA.

    Old left over cans of spray paint work too.
  13. I found a can on the shelf in the garage. It was labeled "DYKEM STEEL BLUE". It was from "The Dykem Company", 2307 North Eleventh Street, St. Lewis, Mo. I don't know how old the can is but there is no web site, no zip code and the can has a pin hole leak from having rusted through. Time to clean out the garage.

    Charlie Stephens
  14. I get it in the big fat magic marker form, also made by Dykem. Really cuts down on the waste and most of the mess. I used to see the old sheet metal guys apply it on big panels poured into a rag.

  15. langy
    Joined: Apr 27, 2006
    Posts: 5,735

    Member Emeritus

    Its called Engineers Blue in England
  16. it also works well for marking gears like when you are setting up a rear end or tranny. I keep a tube in my tool box.
  17. Dick's Beaters
    Joined: Apr 27, 2008
    Posts: 203

    Dick's Beaters

    Got mt Dykem from Fastenal. But sharpie magnum tip markers work real nice too.
    Joined: Jun 3, 2005
    Posts: 8,117


    The marker gig is as handy as a shirt pocket. No mess and great for small marks. As said above, they don't like oily surfaces but neither does Dykem.
  19. FiddyFour
    Joined: Dec 31, 2004
    Posts: 9,008


    for metal contrast? in my opinion, that would only work if you dont mind a HUGE mess to clean off of the steel once finished, and it would take a whole lot longer to be ready to use... have you actually done that?
  20. 117harv
    Joined: Nov 12, 2009
    Posts: 6,590


    I have some also, but find that a good old black sharpie ink pen works great for small stuff.
  21. Deuces
    Joined: Nov 3, 2009
    Posts: 19,459

    from Michigan

    I use the stuff for when I'm port matching the intake runners on both the intake manifold and cylinder heads... When I'm finished, I just wipe the ink off with some thinner and a rag...
  22. Bib Overalls
    Joined: Aug 3, 2001
    Posts: 4,071

    Bib Overalls

    I just got a spray can at our local bearing supply house. It was about $11 with tax. While I was there I picked up a couple of wall mount fractional/metric/decimal drill and tap tables printed on plastic. Nifty shop accessory. Free for the asking.
  23. Pistnbroke
    Joined: Jan 30, 2008
    Posts: 485


    McMaster -Carr they have a on line catalog. great people to work with and ship same day. That is where I got mine.
  24. rustyangels
    Joined: Sep 28, 2010
    Posts: 178


  25. rustyangels
    Joined: Sep 28, 2010
    Posts: 178


    Is that the stuff with the hazmat chemical 111 ?
    LPS version of tapping fluid smells like celery......weird
  26. FoxSpeed
    Joined: May 19, 2009
    Posts: 385

    from NorCal

    can you plasma cut through a felt marker? I thought dykem was best for cutting?
  27. Deuces
    Joined: Nov 3, 2009
    Posts: 19,459

    from Michigan

    Yeah, I do... I used to use that stuff with the "Tap Matic" years ago...
  28. havi
    Joined: Dec 30, 2008
    Posts: 1,875


    Tap Magic, oh boy, lol. We switched to Anchor Lube.
  29. johnneilson
    Joined: Apr 12, 2011
    Posts: 1,215


    1.1.1 trichloroethane, yep, that's a MANS tapping fluid.

    I still use it for Ti and SS machining or anything I can't replace.

    Oh, and on the Dykem, it is available in a felt tip dispenser.
    I bought one when replacing the bottle/brush that broke open and all over the floor.
    Works very well, in fact, I use it more than the brush.


Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2020 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.