Register now to get rid of these ads!

Blue Face SW Gauges ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fuel10922, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Can someone give me some history on the blue face SW gauges. I have heard them called "Twin Blue" and "Custom Face". I did a search and found the swinging needles thread. Looks like a few people collect gauges, so I thought maybe someone will know when they were produced and for how long. A old friend of mine has all the small ones temp, fuel, amps, oil, but no speedo or tach. He told me he bought them at a speed shop in either 60 or 61.

2. Many of those were used in marine applications. Finding a speedometer that goes above 60 mph is tough. I think a high revving tach is equally tough.

JH

3. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

The Ala Cart ran them i belive they just made them for a couple years, but they might be remaking them now

4. showrod

showrod

check out www.roadsters.com for some stewart warner info he's a hamber also showrod

5. ray

ray
    from colorado

generally, mid to late 60's, i can't be more specific, cause i don't know! i'd love to get all the appropiate literature, sales catalogs etc. but it's almost as spendy as some of the old gauges!

yes, tachs and speedos are hard to find. i just spend a few hundred on a nice tach, now i need the matching speedo;) . also need a pedestal mount greenline tach that ain't $500!:eek:

:D

BTW, "custom" refers to the greenline gauges from the same era. the greenlines are being repopped by SW, no word on the twin blues yet...

6. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

I have some i'm going to run on my fire wall...

I know that Roth Used them in the Mysterion.. Mark Moriarty told me about
    them a while ago and I was hooked.. I need a Oil Pressure and a Vacume gauge if any one has some for sale.

7. ray

ray
    from colorado

as far as i can tell, you only see them on boats or high end show cars of the era. i don't recall seeing them on many more ordinary cars in the mags...so that's enough reason for me to want to run them!:D of course i wasn't around then either, but my take on it was they were probably spendy, and generally not cool to most hot rod/custom guys...i'm using them on my girlfriends car, it'll end up light blue and silver with lots of flake, colors picked around the gauges.:p...my custom, black and green to coordinate with my greenline gauges. how gay am I?:D

i'd like to see some old price sheets to see what these cost vs. plain ol black face SWs.

8. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

got a greenline speedo that came with my 32 body when I bought it. doesn't match anything else I've got but its in pretty good shape. what are they worth??

9. alchemy

alchemy

I personally own Twin Blues with build dates from March '58 through May '66. I was lucky to find a mechanical tach that goes to 5,000, but haven't found my automotive speedo yet. Pitot tube anyone?

10. I am trying to work out a deal to get these gauges, if it happens maybe we can work something out.

11. jpbanjo

jpbanjo
    Member Emeritus
    from Tulsa, Ok.

I have a '68 S-W catalog and it only shows the "Greenline"gages. (SW calls them "Custom Face" gages) so the blue face and green face gages shown below must have come later.
    I managed to chase down a set of The Greenline gages for my project shown below

Attached Files:

12. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

That would rule...Let me know.. I really need the Vacume one.

Thanks for the offer.

evel

13. This is an old thread so beat me up for resurrecting it . . . . . . . . OK that's over. I wonder about the story of Ed using SW blue faced gauges on the Mysterion. I never saw the car so am at a disadvantage. There is precious little information about the car save stories from a few old-timers and a handful of fuzzy,low resolution photos. However there is one (only one) photo I know of that shows the dash (see below) and in my humble opinion, those are definitely not blue dials; they are good old racing black and white. Also I have discovered thru MUCH detective work that the dash in the Mysterion is actually an off-the-shelf EELCO die cast aluminum item. I found one on EBAY recently for use in the Mysterion clone I am building and it is identical to the one in this picture.

[​IMG]

I also have a photo of the Mysterion on a flat-bed trailer behind a red '59 Chevy and it has blackwall Inglewood slicks on the rear. Could it be possible that Ed used Port-A-Walls on the car like I am forced to do to run my new/old Inglewood Pos-A-Tractions?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014