Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Blue dots, yes or no?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gus68, Dec 7, 2014.

1. I've run them on some of my old mild customs but I think they'd look out of place on a 60s street racer. kinda like running a fulton visor on a 63 nova.

jimgoetz likes this.
  2. mj40's

mj40's

Legal here in Idaho. I ran that bill through the legislature years ago along with a fenderless bill.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

I vote No for putting on a car looking for 60's race car look. but, do look good on a mild custom like pic from Al Baker

4. Like I said before. Got several sets of blue dots here in Oklahoma. Never been stopped for them. But, don't tell the cops...

5. Muttley

Muttley

Yep

6. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Used to run them in the mid 80s, I liked them but only if you can line up the blue dot directly over the bulb. Otherwise doenst work and looks stupid. I got over it, no need for them anymore.

7. They were really popular with the JC Whitney and Pep Boy crowd, not much with the hop up and racer group. That's in the 50s.

8. Well blue dots make your tail lights less visible so in a street racer that is a good thing, but they also make you more identifiable so in a street racer that is a bad thing.

We were still using them in the NW in the late '60s if that helps.

if you want a true early '60s street racer vibe put a toggle switch on there so that you can turn your taillights completely off. ;)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. High5

High5

Using a blue bulb behind a red lens doesn't change the color. It's the prism cut to the blue dot that casts a blue hue across the red lens to create that purple look.

10. Gman0046

Gman0046

I equate blue dots with red jeweled mud flaps and a lighted swan hood ornament.

wbrw32 and da34guy like this.
  11. my 38 came with red dots, anything blue is illegal in Nova Scotia
    [​IMG]

12. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Dude, it's your car, try them and if you like them, cool. I had them on my Deuce roadster but took them out, I like the way it looks without them, but that's just me!

13. indyjps

indyjps

Agree, kind of a doo-dad add on. I wouldn't cut them into lenses that didn't have them.

If anything wire in a relay so the bulbs get better power and you don't get rearended by a texting Honda civic driver.

14. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

The 50's equivalent of the Big Bore Exhaust Tip

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to road trip with a guy who had the on his car and the damned things drove me nuts if I had to follow him. They are cute on the right car but if you have to follow the damned things down the road at night for 150+ miles they aren't the least bit cute anymore.

Back in the early 70's I knew a guy who ran them that carried a spare pair of all red lenses along with a screw driver and extra bulbs in his car all the time. At least a couple of times he changed the lights out on the side of the road while a cop stood there and watched after pulling him over. I think he finally left them on the shelf at home though.

They are legal on street rods and custom vehicles in Washington state. http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.37.5185 That might be a rub for guys who don't want people to call their hot rod a street rod though.

16. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

Since you have at least four (most likely six) taillight lenses... an idea... put your blue dots on the inside lenses and put those on a toggle switch...

17. I can state there legal in Montana and not in Arizona.

18. Rodder's Journal had a little one page item on blue dots several issues back. Photo of an old display card with several lenses having blue dots therein. Guess they go back to the 20's (?) and appeared on more expensive cars. I'm looking for my Journal copy now....

19. Here we go again, another opinion thread!
    IMHO, blue dots have a "traditional " end year-1955.
    Don't know why, just that I never saw a car
    after a 55 Chevy that looked good with them!
    Also, a "traditional" street racer should look like
    a "Plane Jane Biscane-Grandma blue hair" kind of car.
    One that could disappear in a used car lot in the 60's.
    Real street racers DON'T want to get noticed.
    They would never want to look Pro-street!
    My A with blue dots.
    Notice the cracks in the right lense, proving its glass!
    RATS NEST RUN IN 2013   (12).jpg

20. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Blue dots first showed up on what are now classic cars,at one time there were also yellow dots.

22. My opinion and you're welcome to disagree.
    Blue dots are allowable on anything thru the 40's. Maybe acceptable on some 50's cars.
    I think it's just wrong after 1960.
    Just sayin'

jimgoetz and Tony Martino like this.
  23. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

thanks for the info. regarding the "two taillight rule," i've seen guys mount a red christmas tree light on the license plate for a taillight. don't think that would fly, though.

24. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

I'm doing a 62 Biscayne along those lines. I like the look of blue dots at night but I wont put them on my 62. The 62 tail lights look bitchin as is.
    Got a T coupe that's getting 51 Pontiac tail lights. Those would look like a tit with blue dots.

25. drtybiker

drtybiker
    from florida

Do you really gotta ask ...I am one shy of putting them on my ford pick up it has round tail lites and will be killer with blue dots heck I got blue dots on all my vehicles that I can get them on

26. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

When I was involved in the 80s Mini Truck Scene I custom ed my Nissan and had 2 Blue Dots per Tail Lights One early morning 3:00am was getting Gas and my truck was facing the main road,while fueling I noticed a FHP Mustang slowing down and parked next door ,I'm thinking to my self he is going to pull me over as soon as I pull out, Sure enough, when I got to the light he was right behind me,as soon as it turned green he hit His light and pulled me over and asked for the usual stuff he told me he pulled me over for the "Blue Dots" nice truck! I asked how is it that you can buy a Brand new Harley with them an its ok ? He stated he has to catch them first? The past several years Legislation by a Political car enthusiast had pass a Bill to legalize "Blue Dots" finally someone on are side

27. its your car and do at what you like to it ( if others dont like it, well, thats their problem and not yours ) IMO

28. Bluedot

Bluedot

As you might guess from my handle and avatar, I like 'em. Agreed on the visibility issue, but using LED 1157s helps (brighter). I also have an unobtrusive 3rd brakelight inside my back window. ('30 A coupe) Virtually invisible until it comes on.
    To each his own though. That's what I like about hot rodding - creativity.

29. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

Didn't see them in the mid to late 60's but they look good. The main thing is people are accustomed to seeing bright tail lights thus the LED is born. Look at LED's and blue dots. Keep you original lenses. Cops today aren't very concerned with blue dots, loud mufflers, excessive acceleration, or things like their fathers watched.

30. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

All i will add is if you do it , do it right and get them in the correct spot.
    You see cars with blue dots where one is purple and the other is not because they didn't get them both right behind the bulb.