Register now to get rid of these ads!

blue coat on tires

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leadsled, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Anyone have a reccomendation for removal of the blue coating on wide whites. I've tried westleys and green scotch brite. It's working but slow.

2. PUMPKINHEAD

PUMPKINHEAD

I've used Simple Green with luck. It took a little time, but it all came off.

3. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Recently did my mates. Used hot soapy water first then used those garage handwipes that come in a tub for removing it and also keeping the whites in good condition. They are kind to the rubber. Wouldn't use a Scotch pad on the rubber too much though, bit to harsh and you may end up putting small scratches the WW.

All the best Dan

4. To remove the blue protective film,,,Spray on Greased Lightning and allow to set a few minutes then use a stiff nylon bristle brush and then scrub the whitewall,,respray let it sit for a few more minutes the rinse while scrubbing the white wall.

There may be a spot or two just spray it on where needed,,your going to need the brush when you wash the tires in the future,,this is how I've cleaned my wide whites when it's wash time also. HRP

5. maverickman514

maverickman514

Power Clean ( Purple Power) and a toilet brush seem to work well for standard whitewalls.... unless Coker uses a different shiiping protectant......

6. dirty4

dirty4

try some diesel fuel it works great on whitewalls.

7. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

My dad used to use 409 on the new whitewall protectant. Wet the tire, spray 409 on once, wait a few minutes, spray on again, wait a few more, then spray another coat and run over it with a stiff cleaning brush.

8. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

HUH......wd40.
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"

9. Gator

Gator

When we mounted them on Poorboy Shawn's Buick I used a pressure washer, didn't even NEED any chemicals. If you don't have access to one maybe take it to the local coin-op car wash, soak 'em down with simple green, white lightning or purple stuff, and use the highest spray setting there.

Here's the Buick right after we finished it (I always thought it looked better with pinner whites myself)

[​IMG]

10. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

HOT soapy water,just spray it on let it soak for a few minutes then hit it with a medium hard cleaning brush,then i use soft scrub cleaner W/ bleach,may take some elbow grease.

11. Special Ed

Special Ed

You might want to reconsider the use of bleach. EVERY whitewall tire manufacturer in existance warns against using ANYTHING containing bleach to clean their tires... :cool:

12. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I use to drive around with them blue so people knew I had new tires :)

13. Hi-Flying

Hi-Flying

Be carefull with spray on chemicals,the overspray can play hell on alumium wheels.

14. THE BRONSON

THE BRONSON

Simple Green with a scrub brush worked for me.

15. Deuces

Deuces

All that stuff is just a mold release agent from the tire mold... Spray on tire cleaner should do the trick.. Just gotta buy the good stuff! :cool:

16. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

very hot water and a stiff bristle scrub brush is all you need. oh, and some elbow grease.

17. Old&Low

Old&Low

A hard rain washed most of it off my new Cokers the first day I mounted them! It's actually harder to get the 'heat film' off the blackwalls, especially with an 'aggresive' sidewall pattern.

18. gal6xie5

gal6xie5

SOS pads if real heavy and simple green if light. High pressure nozzle with plain water is good too. NEVER NEVER use a bleach product.

19. If you find you need to use chemicals to remove the blue.....well, you ain't scrubbing hard enough.

Hot soapy water and a medium bristel brush will do.