Register now to get rid of these ads!

blown up sir

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Jun 22, 2011.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

No sludge buildup though...:D

2. good observation! i just looked at the pictures again and i think the main caps are in the wrong spots looks like #4 is the third cap back. i'll check it after i get it out.

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

It get's my vote for "Hot Rods of the Month"

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
    zzford, volvobrynk and scotty t like this.
  4. Deuces

Deuces

Smart guy!! :)

5. Back in my seminary days in Louisville KY, I was working night shift at a service station out at Middletown. A girl who looks to be in her early 20's pulls in with a '64 Chevy, I hear the rod(s) knocking and run out yelling for her to shut it off. She tells me that her oil light has been flickering off and on all the way from St. Matthews (+/- 10 miles) and asked me to check her oil. Dipstick handle was so hot it burned my hand, and of course no trace of oil on the stick. I told her that her oil light was on and the engine was knocking because it didn't have enough oil to even register on the dipstick. She asked me in all innocence, "Will it hurt to drive it home like that?"

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

If they resized all the rods, that might explain why they didn't care if they went in the original spot. I would have still put them back in order regardless, just for future chance of engine work, but I'm a bit anal about those things.

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, that crap bothers me also.. :mad:

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. customer wanted a GM crate motor, all the GM dealers in my area closed, went into the big city to the chevy dealer there. parts guy said maybe 2 weeks because it was coming from Canada. found a dealer in Pennsylvania a cheaper price and less shipping. why?

9. Getting ready for Scatterday

10. I've windowed two engines in a week... 340 Dart Swinger and a 318!

Apparently when you run 40 weight oil in sub zero F winter the oil pump driveshaft fails... I was beginning to think all mopars did this!

How many others out have had parts and oil scattered all over the track?

Show us some photos of the carnage.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  11. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I most say although the amount of stupidity going around, and people around knowing less and less about cars it still surprises me how people still managed to did regard an important message like an oil lamp! :oops:

I can understand people that can't change a spark plug, diagnose an small issue (or at least call stop or go) or change oil, but I can understand how they can learn to use and GPS/smartphone and under stand the three basic colors in a intersection, and still fail to understand how the dash on your ligth works. :mad:
    Even if they don't understand what the picturegram tells them it's very basic

Red means stop, yellow means be aware and green means all good and go baby, go!!

The ligth or heated rear window has a green indicator ligth, because it let's the operator know despite something being on, but it's all good.

If an yellow/amber ligth comes on you drove to the nearest garage when in doubt of what it means!!!

If you get a red lamp on you brace for impact. And if it's an oil lamp if it blinks for one second I do my best to not repeat the behavior that lead up to the insident.
    And I tell all driving any of my car, if they oil lamp comes on I want them to press down clutch the instant the ligth comes on, stop the engine by key and coast to the side of the road. And preferably call when vehicle is still coast, and no harm will ever come to them! That is the most important rule for my cars ever!

Sorry rant over.

And to OP damn that sucks!!!! Best of luck.

12. LOL most of them won't handle idling with less than a quart.

bad news bears man. ;)

wingnutz and volvobrynk like this.
  13. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Won't matter where the new motor comes from if he is not going to check the oil on the new motor either. Gene

14. so far he has been good. he either checks the oil or stops by for me to do it.

15. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Remember the Havoline commercial where they drained the oil from a taxi in NYC and drove it? About that same time, a local dirt track racer that used Havoline hit a tire buried in a corner and tore up his oil pan with a half a lap to go. He finished the race and won but ruined the crank and rods.

16. Need to post all our photos of all the parts sacrificed to the gods of speed!

tb33anda3rd and mad mikey like this.
  17. I worked part time at a gas station near a major highway in high school. One summer day I heard a horrible knocking coming from the highway and in drove a 59 Ford in a cloud of smoke. The driver said it went bang a couple of miles back and could I have a look. The engine as a six cylinder and there was a hole in the side of the block you could put your fist through. The driver looked so surprised – “can you fix it” he asked? Some people just shouldn’t own cars.

Truckdoctor Andy and rjones35 like this.
  18. zzford

zzford

I caught the Gates belt man when I was in my teens, working at a gas station! The prize money did not last very long at all

19. Slick 50 would have saved it. :)

20. killbilly

killbilly

read my signature line.........

21. kursplat

kursplat

wow, BFTD thread, but so what...many years ago had a girlfriend who's grand pa owned a gas station, and her uncle was the mechanic. stopped in because the slightly off H.A.M.B. car was making a funny noise. that poor 302 was 4qts low. filled it up and drove off... a month or so later i swapped my car for that one. we pulled the motor apart and every piston had cracked skirts, but it was still running ;)

22. I went to school with a guy (in 1973) that drove his dad's 1964 Chevy Impala once in a while... it smoked and I asked how many miles on it. He said only 40k... his dad did not believe in changing oil, he just added when it was low. The kicker is... his dad owned a service station at the time!

23. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

My sister got my aunts beautiful 1970 skylark when she decided to get a new car. She blew the motor cause she never checked the oil. I wonder how many cars had that happen when we switched to self serve gas stations.

24. Terrible80

Terrible80

All my vehicles get a real oil pressure and a temp. gauge, at the very least.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. I have an oil gauge and idiot light on my Ford, but I do check it once a week.