Register now to get rid of these ads!

blown up sir

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Jun 22, 2011.

1. don't forget to check your oil! '49 international was towed in, motor locked up, checked the oil, nothing on the stick, took out the drain plug, maybe a pint of cooked oil. even the best engines in the world can't handle highway speeds with less than a quart.

Attached Files:

czuch likes this.
  2. Deuces

Deuces

Damn, those rods look like they're cooked!!! :eek::eek::eek:

czuch and volvobrynk like this.
  3. chaddilac

chaddilac

Dang you don't check your oil?????

4. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

4-bolt sbc cooked

5. that's what i asked the customer. notice the color change to the front four rods.

czuch and volvobrynk like this.
  6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

7. Deuces

Deuces

What a waste! :(

8. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"pay me now or pay me later"

9. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

How about changing oil and filter. A friend of mine had a '62 Chevy C10 with a small block. For years, he never changed the oil or filter. One day, on the way home, he heard pinging coming from the exhaust. Turns out it was piston material blowing out of the tailpipe.

10. moefuzz

moefuzz

The after effects, or the color change that we see is the result of the rods/bearings turning (a very hot) dull red.
    They were obliviously glowing at one point.

11. yes they had to be red to the point they were able to ooze out the sides of the caps. you can see what is left of the bearings squeezing out the sides.

12. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

I'll bet that made some pretty freaky sounds just before the bitter end came.

13. chronisterracing

chronisterracing
    from N.Il.

There is a place called microsurface that can coat an engine with a dry lubricant that could have saved this motor. I know a guy that had an oil pump fall off at 7000 rpm and it didn't hurt the motor at all. The stuff they put on is amazing....adds HP too.

14. Even though it is a chevy, it is still kind of upsetting that someone would do that to a motor. I used to make my money off of people like that. Just make sure the check clears before the car leaves the shop! :D

15. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

and another one bites the dust.....

16. schwerko

schwerko
    from bristol ct

"The more gas i gave it, the slower it went....!"

zzford and czuch like this.
  17. mrforddude

mrforddude

Looks like a normal chevy engine...a boat anchor...

Don't be hating...read my screen name to know where I stand

RiotPirate likes this.
  18. rjaustin421

rjaustin421

I had a customer with a 351w years back that had the oil light come on, it was due to valve stem material getting past the pickup screen and fetching up the pump enough to break the oil pump shaft.

He drove that sucker 50 miles with the light on, turned it off and it never rotated after that. When the motor was brought into my machine shop it was burned blue up all the way up to the cam bores. Passed that one on to the scrap guy.

Worst I have ever seen.

19. Sgt Hulka would agree!

20. Deuces

Deuces

You said it!! :eek::eek:

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Like running a Ford out of oil wouldn't have the same results? Gimme a break.

zzford, bigbore1934 and slack like this.
  22. brad chevy

brad chevy

That is just another example of no regular checking of anything on a car or truck except the gas gauge. Whens the last time you pulled into the modern day self-service gas stations and actually saw a hood up on a car being checked ? Sure miss the full service stations of the day.Worked at one just like a lot of guys on here did and was taught to check everything under the hood.Even back then had a Gates belt rep go from station to station and if the attendant checked the belt on his car he got $100.Those days are gone and will never return.

zzford and czuch like this.
  23. ty1295

ty1295
    from Indiana

Maybe that is why he is standing instead of driving?

24. Deuces

Deuces

I was one of those gas jockeys in the mid '70's.. Gave up the paper route gig when the owner/mechanic of a Texaco station in Dearborn offered me a better paying "after school" job. I sure had fun back then.. :)

czuch likes this.
  25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Till they were well done. That must have made some noise.

26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I had a customer that drove some miles with the oil light on, same scenario (only not as bad)
    When I asked him why he didn't stop, he responded like I was 'delusional': "You expect me to stop and open the hood, while it's still running? Shoot, I drove it in!"
    Real buckaroo. I had a herd of 'em...'til I thinned it out...

falcongeorge likes this.
  27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is that in an effort to work on you "I'm a cool Ford guy" creds? Or didn't you have anything worthwhile to contribute?

It's been a while since I've seen an engine burned up that bad that didn't loose the drainplug in the middle of the highway.

bigbore1934 likes this.
  28. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! Almost the same sound like when you drop a copper penny on dry ice.. :eek::eek::eek:

29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I did a motor swap for a guy a few years back. brand new rebuilt 350. $1600.00 at the machine shop, and $500.00 for me to do the swap.

this was a 72 truck with a stock, working oil pressure gauge right there in the dash. when it showed no pressure he just kept driving and thought the gauge was malfunctioning. never bothered to check the oil or even open the hood I guess. his cheap chrome valve covers leaked all the oil out.

another $500.00 for me and $$$ for the machine shop for a new crank and bearings and he was good as new. second time around I put on original steel valve covers.

guess this is why so many people buy new cars.

30. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas