Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Blown up part of the day

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wheeldog57, Jul 14, 2016.

1. A little contribution, 216 Chevy.

Broken_Rod_Crankshaft_Bearing_Cap.jpg Broken_Rod_out_of_my_216_motor.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ooooo that's gonna leave a mark^^:D

3. Dissected a Muncie 4 speed once on the expressway at 75 mph or so. Locked up, broke the bell housing, snapped the extension housing, broke a chunk of the main case and dumped fluid and gear pieces in the fast lane.

More spectacular the O/T 350 Olds Diesel I blew out the bottom end on. Hung one of the con rods on the crossmember and broke the webbing out of the block.

If you have ever wondered, you can drive a 1984 Chevrolet 454 modular Ambulance that broke a drive belt and subsequently nicks the lower radiator hose approximately 23 miles in 100 degree outside temperature with three EMT's and four patients until you fully expel any and all coolant in the engine. Ask me how I know that fact.......;)

loudbang likes this.
  4. My 9" Ford: Twisted pinion and broken pinion support:

DSC04700.JPG DSC04706.JPG

loudbang and falcongeorge like this.
  5. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

loudbang likes this.
  6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I once witnessed a friend of a friend literally tear the nose out of a WAR carrier. The pinion gear, the pinion support and a big chunk of the nose of the carrier literally came out from under the car and wound up laying on the starting line, with the yoke, u-joint and drive shaft still attached. Made me giggle like a school girl. :pSome of the best parts pukage I have ever witnessed, sucker was shedding parts like a leper dropping fingers.The incident was also immortalized in a Larry Pfister video.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
    Just Gary and loudbang like this.
  7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I witnessed the same thing, I just happened to be sitting in the passenger seat of my friends tube framed 468 powered 55 Chevy 210......on the street.
    You've heard the drill, leaving an event and everyone lining the street going light em up.
    All I remember him saying was "that wasn't good".

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

One night I was riding around with a buddy in a heavy hard hooking ten second car with a 12 bolt in it. We were Jack-assing around on this straight stretch in front of the arena, and it started making this little "plink plink plink" noise from the rear end. So we start arguing about whether it's the u-joint or the ring and pinion, so me being the wise-ass as usual, I tell him "pin it again, and we'll find out real soon". Crazy bastard laughs, gets an evil gleam in his eye, and NAILS it from an ten mph roll. BANG, CLUNK! CLUNK! GRUANCH! CLUNK! CLUNK! GRAUNCH! So I look at him totally deadpan, and say "yup, definitely ring and pinion..."
    Next day we pull the cover, there's about 6 teeth cleaned off the crown. So we get another set of gears, when we go to put them in we pop the diff out of the saddles, and it comes out in two pieces, perfect hairline crack all the way round. I guessed the first time it probably broke a couple teeth off, and the bits probably wedged in there and REALLY tore shit up on the second one.
    Then there was the time Ray Flood decided to try to pull the wheels in his truck on a concrete bridge deck...high revving BB Chevy, top loader and a 5.57 geared 9". Rad came out of the mount and went into the fan, and out back something broke in the locker, one of the pins came out and smashed a nodular carrier all to hell. Tore up both ends at once...:D Stupid fun with cars...:);)

Super64belair and loudbang like this.
  9. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

10. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

gears.jpg
    The spider gears came out of my 56 Chevy back when I was young and showing off at an intersection coming home from work. Lots of people who knew me were watching me push my car out of the way,
    I have to admit I may have blushed a little...
    The broken BBC crank out of a friends 64 C10 truck. He installed an airride , c-notched it without correcting the pinion angle, so his pinion angle was way off and the car really had some bad vibrations, it kept throwning belts, broke alternator mounts, pulleys, steering pump brackets, 3 or 4 ( TH700) transmissions, countless U-joints,even the replacement crank.
    Adjusting the pinion angle fixed all of this.
    IMG_1598.JPG IMG_1610.JPG

11. wheeldog57, loudbang and falcongeorge like this.
  12. Larry T

Larry T

13. Larry T

Larry T

Not mine, but more bulletproof 9" Ford stuff. 1PinionFailure6-21-13_zpsc89c9820.jpg

wheeldog57, loudbang and falcongeorge like this.
  14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

:D:D

15. Reading that made me snort coffee all over my screen!:D
    Thanks!

loudbang, Dino64 and falcongeorge like this.
  16. IMG_20160619_190813213.jpg IMG_20160619_190754637.jpg 354 hemi, just heads so far fixed, waiting on block- might need sleeve.

loudbang and wheeldog57 like this.
  17. Super64belair

Super64belair

uploadfromtaptalk1469216999187.jpeg uploadfromtaptalk1469217064077.jpeg uploadfromtaptalk1469217106506.jpeg
    It seems I'm not the only one to have a tooth from the pinion gear come off from the old X frame cars. I was driving down the road headed home cruising along at about 60mph when I hear a little tink noise which I initially thought was a rock hitting the floor pan on my 64 Bel Air. Shortly after I was hearing a little bit of gear noise, louder than normal increasing, out the rear end. I was only 3 miles from home and it was late at night so I decided to just get back before I'm walking. I jacked up the car the next morning to check the gear lube level and didn't find any on my finger. I had the car jacked up high enough to wiggle under the rear of it but not high enough to see much past the backside of the axle. A nice long string of gear oil was running out as I was filling it up. I soon found the exit wound from the tooth that shot out of the bottom of the 3rd member case. I took it all apart and was extremely lucky that the tooth busted off and flew out of the case rather than destroying more.

I rebuilt the 3rd member 10 years prior and put a new Eaton posi in it at the time but couldn't get 3.55 gears as they were on back order. I reused the old 3.36 gears and that is a mistake I would not recommend to anyone as you will never get the noise out of gears that have worn due to worn out bearings. Looking at where the tooth came off, it had be cracked for a long time as you can see the different color in the metal. The 3rd member case got Tig welded up and a new set of 3.73s installed after checking out the posi. The car is night and day different. The new challengers and chargers that kept picking on me stoplight to stoplight now don't play long as a quick romp of the gas makes them change their minds. Anyways, I don't beat on Bella (my 64) with donuts, burnouts but I don't drive like grandma either. I drive mine often rather than let it sit. I wish I could say the pinion tooth flew off racing a new 392 hemi but cruising along is more truthful as I don't run bs. I'm thinking of building a lamp out of the old ring and pinion as I do metalworking and welding. Might as well keep the broken carnage around as a bit of a reminder of the good times or expensive times if you want to call it that.

18. Super64belair

Super64belair

Continued from post above.

This is the weeper that was oozing strings of gear oil out of the bottom of the housing. uploadfromtaptalk1469218883841.jpeg

The inside view of the exit wound. uploadfromtaptalk1469218987341.jpeg

Hole all Tig welded up. uploadfromtaptalk1469219037816.jpeg

The outside of the case after Tig welding the exit wound. uploadfromtaptalk1469219167547.jpeg

New Yukon 3.73s uploadfromtaptalk1469219324568.jpeg

All back together. uploadfromtaptalk1469219413943.jpeg

Attached Files:

loudbang, wheeldog57 and Just Gary like this.
  19. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Thanx for the kind words Mike

20. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Silent but deadly, A/C died in an OT, still stinks tho'....

21. Coming back from the Joe Smith early V8 open house a few months ago the worn out anemic small block in my 51 chevy decided that a rod cap didnt belong in the crank case anymore. Blew it right out the pan on the freeway. Stopped to make sure nothing was on fire or brake line damaged. Looked good. Fired right back up though not as smooth, and drove another 9 miles home. Its already blown... cant make it much worse. Here is the exit wound.. 20160625_200657.jpg
    and here Iis its new replacement.
    20160625_200740.jpg

loudbang, wheeldog57 and Just Gary like this.
  22. I've broken my share of stuff. This is what happens when you hydrolock an engine with alcohol while starting. Steel rods weren't impressed. For the record it didn't sound to bad running on the back 4 cylinders.

[​IMG]

23. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.