Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Blown up part of the day

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wheeldog57, Jul 14, 2016.

1. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I just blew a hydraulic hose on my Hamb era 1955 IH farm tractor, does that count? :confused::rolleyes:

2. Yep, there's the "Brake" pedal...and the "Break Shit" pedal. :)

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

MAKE IT SPEW BITS!!!:p

4. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Thanx to Robert Palmer, he gave me a smoking deal on this open diff. 57 will be back on road tomorrow. 1468714560544.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn, that almost looks like some soft metal the way it flattened out on the pinion. What kind of vehicle is this from? Trying to figure out why a transfer case would have a R&P.

6. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I did that on my 57. Built a 12.5/1 301 cubic inch. First I wrecked the clutch disc. Bought a good Hayes disc and pressure plate and blew the rear gear when I tried it out. I built one with aftermarket caps and carrier. I added traction bars when I replaced the rear end. My friend drove it home for me while I followed on my cycle. He was on it pretty good but slowed down suddenly and I thought it broke but he drove it to my house. He said when he got on it hard he couldn't steer it anymore. The front end got pretty light at times but no wheel hop.

loudbang likes this.
  7. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

falcongeorge likes this.
  8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Been there :)

wheeldog57 likes this.
  9. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

I did! When I pulled over after it went BANG! I quickly found one of the bits it spewed: a two-inch long chunk of the camshaft was laying next to the engine mount . . . outside the engine!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It appears that some of the bits may have spewed out of the oil pan too:

[​IMG]

weps, gonzo, Jet96 and 4 others like this.
  10. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

Same car, different day: this time the needle bearings in the transmission countershaft ground themselves to dust. It caused some puzzling symptoms, and some wildly wrong guesses during initial troubleshooting.

[​IMG]

falcongeorge and loudbang like this.
  11. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I'm fortunate........ my rear end seized in my 59 Impala a couple of weeks ago going 10 -12 MPH at the Goodguys 4th of July show a couple of weeks ago.
    With out warning..... going 10 MPH, coasting with my foot down on the clutch, went to let the clutch back out and heard a tink - tink and right then rear wheels locked up.
    Pinion tooth broke and wedged in the ring gear.
    Disappointed but thankful.
    Could have happened at 60MPH on the freeway and wrecked or killed, me or others.

Wish I could brag that I was laying into it but I wasn't.
    Only guy I know siezed a rearend at 10 MPH.

12. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Holy Cow! :eek:

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Youch!! Man, those slotted skirt pistons have always given me the heebee-jeebees!

14. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Corn

Had a 59' too and one nite going through the gears the rear also broke and locked up going forward, but would move ok going backwards

I was lucky that we were up hill a bit and on a Sunday nite no body on the road, so we rolled it home backwards in right into my drive way

DND

loudbang likes this.
  15. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

==========
    Ouch ! Is there more to the story?

Looks like one of those forged TRWs for Harleys that was everywhere back in the 70's.
    Always thought they should have been a real nice street piston. Full skirt, so gentle on the cylinders.
    TRWs relative low expansion dark gray aluminum.
    Slotted oil return so the skirt didn't heat up so much or be forced to expand along with the hot piston crown.

Looks like somebody lightened the piston boss with a big old ball mill, and the piston broke starting from the oil return slot behind the oil ring.
    Even Fuelie Vettes etc had slotted oil returns in the 60s.
    In the early days of Jim Hall's Chapparal race car they used factory Chevy forged pistons with slotted oil returns.
    To eliminate or forestall cracking they'd drill holes at the ends of the slots to reduce the stress concentration with improved geometry.
    "The pistons are stock but for a stress-relieving hole drilled at each end of the slot in the oil-ring groove to stop cracks."
    http://www.sportscars.tv/Newfiles/Chaparral2.html

Part geometry is VERY important. Throwing fancy materials at a component in an attempt to buy reliability can not overcome bad geometry.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    loudbang likes this.
  16. Glad to help

My blow up-
    Stock 1953 Chevrolet Three speed, missed shift.
    Behind a very strong 261 Chevrolet six (My avatar)
    GEDC2103 (Small).JPG GEDC2106.JPG

The car now has a late fifties Corvette three speed, and a 60 Chevrolet rear (changed to leaf spring by myself and my dad) soon to have a 3:70 Posi!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    gonzo, wheeldog57 and loudbang like this.
  17. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

The chevy is up and running, thanx again to Robert. I promise not to powershift for a little while 1468849664903.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

gonzo, loudbang, belair and 1 other person like this.
  18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'm not sure if this is in response to my post, but if it is, well, you got it wrong. I wasn't refering to the oil gash in the back of the oil ring land in TRWs, I was refering to thermal expansion slots in piston skirts as depicted in the photos I quoted in my post. Two VERY different things.
    Note that in the photo I quoted in my post, the skirts are broken off right along the thermal expansion slot, NOT the bottom of the ring land.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  19. Not mine- but I do reckon it's pretty impressive
    blown up motor.jpg

falcongeorge, Jet96, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  20. belair

belair

21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"she's so fine, there's no telling where my money went...", may be applicable
    upload_2016-7-18_16-54-4.png

22. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

This was several years ago. I was running the truck pretty hard, hit a dip in a sweeping right hander and things got a little wonky.....oops

Attached Files:

Jet96, loudbang and wheeldog57 like this.
  23. Cob....I blew the rear end in a loaner 59 Olds in the snow doing about 10 MPH with the 371 screaming in drive.
    Then blew both spider gears in a 9 and 3/8ths 66 Lincoln doing 0 MPH with the right rear smoking it up big-time. Oops!

enloe likes this.
  24. verde742

verde742

I am no gynecologist, but I will take a look !!! :rolleyes:

25. $1000.00 Miller Mid Lift shaft rockers Jim Miller and I made work on a set of AFR heads that were so new that no one made a shaft rocker for them. This was really a blessing as I found all the needle bearings were wearing badly.... I now run Crower Stainless backset rockers and they are VERY GOOD!!!!
    broken rockers 008.JPG

wheeldog57, loudbang and falcongeorge like this.
  26. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

In 2008 my buddy and I were waving goodbye to my wife as we headed to Bonneville at about 8 AM. There was a snap and the right front dropped. I knew before I looked it was a broken spring. I turned up the circular part of the drive and before I got back to the shop the other spring broke. Vic asked what we were going to do and I said I was going to replace the springs and go to Bonneville. If people call the old cars in your yard junk they ate wrong. While I selected a set from the spares Vic removed the broken ones. Had to take good bushings from broken springs for the "new" set. Back on the road a little after noon. We were not successful in driving past the bar but got to Windover about 2 AM. It could have been so much worse had they broken at 75 mph on I-80 Miles from help. :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

wheeldog57 and loudbang like this.
  27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

How much was that new ring land cleaner?

28. mike bowling

mike bowling

TIME'S UP! LETS GO FOR A RIDE!!
    I've been with Ron in the '57, and it's like music to my ears to hear him shiftin' the crap out of that 4 speed!! Also heard it going down the 1/4 mile and there's nothing better ( well, maybe a top fuel car..............)
    Glad you're up and running!!

wheeldog57 and falcongeorge like this.
  29. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

weps likes this.
  30. wheeldog57

wheeldog57