Register now to get rid of these ads!

Blast media question...........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Reman, May 6, 2013.

1. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

What do new glass beads look like? I bought a used cabinet off a guy a while back and he said it had X pounds of new glass beads in it. It looks like soda and feels the same as soda. Just an extremely fine white powder. He swears it is glass.....Now, I have a good bit of sandblast experience, but ONLY with sand so I have no experience with glass or soda. Can someone set me straight on this? Thanks

2. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

3. Doesnt soud like glass beads to me. Trying to think how to describe glass beeds without sounding like a retard on crack, but "white powder" sure isnt it.

4. justold

justold

5. ours kinda looks like white powder when it gets all broke down. How new did the seller say they were? A cabinet just keeps recycling it, dump it out the bottom, saving it, and see if there is any thing in there that resembles "crystals". I laughed when justold said "tase it", but think about it, no don't taste it, how about smelling it though.

Fenderless

6. raengines

raengines
    from pa.

glass beads are also used to make highway signs reflective, think more corse texture than powder. but not as much as sand.

7. Smelling it or snorting it? Glass bead is a gateway abrasive :D

8. My glass beads look similar to powder because I'm cheap and don't want to add new till I have to. They are getting pulverized. When I look close though, I think I can still see some small round shape to them. If on doubt, get a new bag of glass beads and dump the old. I think I paid about $50 last time, and I make it last a long time. They definitely work well.

9. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

outstanding first post ... thank you so much for coming here

10. I used some glass "shards" that broke down into a powder. I got them at HF.
    They made a mess...clogged my vacuum and they did not work very well to clean parts.

11. Motomike43

Motomike43

Put a small amount of the material in your hand. Glass bead should have a slight glitter to it when the light hits it right. Soda will not reflect at all

12. Motomike43

Motomike43

Also, put a small amount of the material in your hand again. Blow it into the air. Soda will dissipate into the air like a fog or cloud floating in the air before it falls. Glass bead is heavy. It will just fall straight to the ground like sand would. Hope this makes sense. It sounds good in my head HA