Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Black Bird my 1964 straight axle falcon build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roosters hot rods, Jan 25, 2012.

1. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

I have been collecting parts for over a year now to build my 64 falcon,i plan to build a 60's style a f/x falcon with a small block ford with three pedals...more or less 1 wicked street/drag car with lots of power;)...to start this project i bought the falcon from my dad..it had been in storage for years inside a body shop so its in real nice shape body wise with very little rust:) So we have striped it to the shell and now have it on the frame table for lots of body mods to include a 4 inch drop axle with willwood brakes,14 point roll cage,mini tub,move the leafs inboard,nine inch ford on floaters and ladder bars,fiberglass fenders and doors,teardrop crites hood..I want to paint it shinny black and i have lots of NOS trim for the car...
    For power it will run a 331 DSS short block with a set of full ported edelbrock proformer rpm heads with our own hand built EFI..and the best part is the V2 vortech supercharger at about 14-18 psi:D back up with a 3550 tremec 5speed...this should be a lot of fun both on and off the track..
    i have been cleaning 48 year old under coating off the fire wall and inner fenders..nasty job but glade it was on the car cause its in nice shape..so after i finish getting it clean i will build motor mts and mock up the motor and trans and figure ride hieght...i want it low, not no nose bleeder gassers..thats why i went with the 4 inch drop tube axle..Ill post up some pics .....

Rooster

.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  2. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

3. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

4. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

5. Wyle E Coyote

Wyle E Coyote

Can't wait to start cutting into that beauty. You got lucky with how solid it is.

6. looks like a good start. Smart move with the dropped axle. My buddy has a 63 falcon ranchero (486 BBC, prepped turbo, locked 9" on mopar ss springs) with 3" dropped straight axle, and while it's no canyon carver he can still take the curves and corners of everyday driving without the major pucker factor.
    Something to think about is rear disc brakes. The ranchero has 4wheel disc, and believe me, it makes a big difference.

7. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Gonna be nice! Boy, Ford put a lot of sealer and sound deadner on the old cars eh?

8. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

T[​IMG]his is the 331..still a little bit of plumbing to do ..

9. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

I do plan on 4 wheel disc brakes and yes tommyd there is enough undercoating and sealer on this body for two cars..haha..it is one nasty job to clean off,but once you get it down to the clean metal it looks so nice..

Rooster

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  10. whisky runner

whisky runner

looking good..always a good thing having a solid car to start a project..something not many can do..

11. Judd

Judd

Man nice Falcon shell sounds like a cool car in the making.

12. 76cam

76cam

WOW this is gonna be a awsome car!!! Cant wait!!!!!!

13. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

Going with ansen sprints in the ft and steelies in the rear...[​IMG]

14. Skirv

Skirv

Nice project Dave. Looking forward to following along.

15. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

Thanks bill..i'll keep the updates coming

Rooster

16. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

I'll be keeping tabs on this build. Should be a good one.

17. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

Made some good progress today..i was on the hand held wire wheel removing the old undercoating and i had help from john grinding and sanding off the old ft end brkts..all most ready to hang the ft leaf springs and mock up the tube axle..i'll shoot some pics this week..

Rooster

18. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

Gonna start on the under side this week...lots of cleaning to be done here..maybe a should call mike rowe..this is a dirty job..

Rooster[​IMG]

19. 65COMET

65COMET

Rooster;looking good,I like the way you planned it out first,didn't just start throwing parts at it.That sounds like someone should send in a request to "Dirty Jobs",perfect idea!!!A friend out here started with a 65 Falcon stocker,moved up to FE power,then to a straight axle gasser look,then to a dropped axle/whole car lowered ,then to a full tube chassis,BIG Ford running in A/GAS-7.60 index! Keep us posted!! ROY.

20. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

A cleaner update...[​IMG]

21. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

Very cool!

A friend told me about his method for bustung that old undercoating, he uses a needle scaler gun, says it works awesome.

22. 60 ford

60 ford

Awsome build, I'm building an altered wheelbase 62 Falcon myself. Keep posting pics and good luck.

23. butch70462

butch70462

like what you doing, Butch

24. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

There so many falcon builds going on at one time...very cool !! 60ford i will be watching your build,cool car,even cooler with a blower motor.

Rooster

25. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

I like to "prop" the front brakes on a straight axle vehicle, espcially with skinny front tires, it keeps the skid factor low and allows the fat back tires to decel the vehicle. '64/ '65 Falcon and Comet hardtops in my top ten all time favorite vehicles.

26. Gonna be another Kool one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fast Eddie

27. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Cool build, look forward to seeing more pics

28. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

I spent a few hrs under the front end tonight playing with the axle mock up and figuring ride hieght...i wanna keep it low but still have the AF/X higher ft end look...
    Gotta say thanks to brother john for the help..we 'd be crunchin #'s and measuring springs a million times..but i think we have made a plan...tomorrow i fire up the butter knife and start to make it right..pics soon.....Rooster

29. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

Im looking for a stance like this or a lil lower...just love this stance...looks great ..:cool:

Rooster

Attached Files:

30. Can't wait to see it after the Groundhog Gala!

Early Photochop...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012