Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bite the bullet - taking a rod to a shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Concrete B, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Concrete B

Concrete B

Last year, I fell into a career in the industrial construction industry. It's a good career, I can support my family, but it requires a lot of travel. Here in a few weeks I'll be hitting the road. I have 3 current project vehicles, but will be plum out of time. I'm trying to talk myself into taking them to shops. It goes against what I try to stand for, but it's better than letting them rot I guess. I can do a lot of things on my own. Some things I'd rather sub out. But having shops do the whole thing...sucks.

Anyone feel the same way, or am I just being dumb?

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Have one built by a shop and keep the other ones so that you can eventually work on them yourself. There no shame in wanting one to drive. Sure, we wish we could build everything ourselves but you have a family to take care of and thats the most important thing. Have it built by someone you respect so it becomes more of a treasure to you rather then a regret. Good luck!

3. Bort62

Bort62
    BANNED

Every time I get over myself and take any of my cars in for any sort of work, I always get reminded why I don't do that.

Each and every time, without exception, something ends up fucked up. Maybe I'm just anal (I doubt it) but I feel like if I am paying for someone to do something... it had better be perfect. I can do a half-assed job on my own.

4. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

If you find the right shop to do the work, there is no shame in it. The real shame is when people "build" cars on their own and they're complete piles of shit. If you have the resources to farm work out and you don't have the time to work on them yourself, then do it. History has not looked poorly on Bob Hirohata and Jesse Lopez because they didn't build their own cars, and it doesn't make you appreciate them any less.

5. zgears

zgears

I guess ive had about 10 % of the work on my car shopped out. things I didn't trust myself to do correctly the first time, I ain't building no r** rod . I don't mind as long as the guys knowledgeable and efficient.

6. ray-jay

ray-jay
    from Buford GA

From 89 to 95 I had a little one man fab/racecar prep/speed shop sorta business. I specialized in roll cages for SCCA cars but also did mini stocks, drag cars some bigger roundy rounds, vintage cars, etc. I also built some engines, recurved a lot of distributors, did sub frame connectors, mounted fuel cells, blah blah blah plus lots of office chair repair for tubby secretaries :)

I think the most unhappy customer I ever had was some dipshit whining because the roof hoop was so close to the body that the roll bar padding was going to have to be glued on :rolleyes:

What I am saying is find the right guy. It may be some little hole in the wall shop instead of the big shiney well advertised - full page ad in the yellow pages - type of shop. I am not saying that type of shop can't do awesome work on time and on budget and I am not saying that the little guy won't screw you or your car. Just do some research, ask local rodders and go hang out a few times before you take your car in.

It's just that I have had to fix screw ups from 'well respected' shops [ how about a tight fitting Fluidamper that some idiot took a die grinder to the bore to make it slide on easy !!!!! I warmed up the new one and cooled the crank snout and used a proper Blue Point installation tool ].

7. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Can you take it to a shop for some of the big stuff to get the project further along so it is easier for you to complete? We have done several projects like that for customers.

8. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

Sometimes we have more money than time. Sometimes more time than money.

You do what you have to do in order to keep a project progressing.

That's not dumb. That's smart.

9. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

its not a big deal to take the car somewhere to have it worked on, seeing how you have other things that are more important. sometimes family is more important. ive taken my cars to people to get worked on before and i sleep just fine at night ya know, if it means you get to go out and enjoy the car and do something with it insted of it just sitting around and waiting then i say go for it

10. Bort62

Bort62
    BANNED

There is nothing wrong with it... I just always regret it when I do.

11. BigChief

BigChief

You can always make more money....you can never make up for lost time, especially critical family time. If its gonna take away from the little bit of quality time your going to have with your wife/kids/etc due to work obligations then its money very well spent to get the car done. Hold you head up high, find a good shop and get it done so your family can enjoy it with you.

-Bigchief.

12. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

People seem to only have an attitude about going to a shop when you are the kind of guy that pops the hood and says "WOW thats what a v8 looks like!" but a lot of shop work is done for people who are like you and just plain don't have the time to do all of the work and they don't want there car to be a 10 year project, it shouldn't matter if a shop does all of the work or some of the work it was still your idea of how the car should look and the car is still a passion for you and not just an ego booster.

13. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I am willing to bet that you will still have that big grin on your face the first time you drive it no matter what you choose........Do whats best for you.....Goodluck Littleman

14. There is no shame in having a "professional" do work for you. But make sure they are just that, professional.

15. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Do what you gotta do, no shame in that. I know a lot of shops that I trust and can do the work better than me.

16. what are you building? having a local hamb get together might just get one of your projects jump started. it's pretty amazing what a few hand tools can get done, top of the list are BARBACUE & BOOZE!

17. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

do what you have to do...

i was lucky enough to be friends with a great hot rod builder, and had him do the work.. i trust it with my life, and he has GREAT style... so it all worked out..

im not ashamed... just like everyone else said, some NICE NICE cars get respect through the years when the owner didnt build.. i work 50-70 hour weeks, plus dont have the tools or welding skills to do a lot of the work..

that being said, i FUCKING LOVE my car.. wether i built it or just picked out parts and did the work i could, its still MINE..

18. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

I'm in a similar situation......

One year ago, had a job I despised but it paid pretty well. Made a deal with the devil and instead of quitting decided to pay for professional fabrication for the frame and most of the body on my 29 chrysler hot rod. It was a BIG decision, I've done 98% of my own work in 20 years of building off topic cars.

It's a year later and I finally quit that fucking job. But I leave with an ass kicking hot rod roller in bare steel, and it's fabbed to a quality that would take a decade in my garage.

Does it suck I didn't build it? Yes.
    Do I feel like a gold chainer? Yes.
    Will the car feel like mine after I plumb, wire, paint, and assemble it? Yes.
    Will it kick ass? Yes.
    Will I build the next one myself? Yes.
    Would I do anything different? No.

Complicated answer to a complicated situation isn't it? If you're dealing with honest and skilled fabricators, it's a decision you won't regret. Good luck.

19. You know, it's interesting you brought this up and timely for me. I am toiling over this right now as well. I found the right shop and all, but just never did it this way before. So...

This is exactly what I plan to do.

And for the first time in my life, this is my situation. I realized after talking to some friends that even when I have time (won't be for at least two more years though. And by no time, I mean none! See my location for more explanation), it would take me at least 3-4 more years to finish. And I am humble enough to know that the quality of my work is no where near that of what this shop can do. I need to get some financial matters worked out, but once I do I think I'm going for it. I can't think of a better treat for myself when I come home to have a finished hot rod waiting for me. We'll see!

20. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

That is no joke. When I was broke or near broke, I was in the shop all the time (i.e. my Screen Name). I was cranking out cool shit on a very regular basis, and loving it, but hating never having any dough.

I cut a lucky break at work and my "professional career" took off. Now I have some expendable income, but near ZERO time in the shop. I have 1 project that is on the burner, and it has sat for 2.5 years. I have enough time to maintain my other rods, but that one just sits, I want it done, I wanted it done by me. I finally came to the realization, if that thing is to get done, I have to "Bite the Bullet" and have someone build it for me.

Sucks, but time or money, unfortunately I can't have both.

21. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

sounds like good time management to me.
    I fall into this alot with my job and family responsibilities. I have 2 projects going on now. One that is kept driveable,and almost finished for the most part. And one that is skattered all over the place in progress of being built. If you have the money and "trust" the people you hire to complete things you cant due to time or lack there of, theres no shame. Money you can make..Time you cant replace.
    spend the money, and use the time you save to spend it with your family.

22. Concrete B

Concrete B

I have a lot of connections as far as shops go. I'm pretty sure I know who's doing the work for me. I have a buddy that does suspensions in Cleveland, and an amazing body guy/painter in Chillicothe. Both cars run, so that's out of the way. FYI they're both Cadillacs.

23. jonny o

jonny o

I'm with you man. Been on the road for 5 weeks... go back out for another 5 straight after 1 off.

I haven't thought once about taking my car to a shop for a few things I need to finish up, but I also only got it out of the garage a few times last year! Can't blame you one bit... just get the damn thing in NOW before the snow melts and salt washes away!

24. Concrete B

Concrete B

Jonny what do you do? I'm into starting up recently built Ethanol plants

I'm feeling more comfortable with my decision after reading this post. One will car will be daily driven, the other my "special occasion" cruiser. I'm not really interested in having a "show car" or I'd have them at shops already...Now I just need to find someone to haul them for me as they're not quite ready to be on the road.

25. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

i have never built a car from the ground up!frame, etc....my shop is a tree and a chunk of grass! my weldin skills are made for our farm machinary! so am i upset that choprods is buildin me a roller>>? hell no, i dont wanna die!.:eek::)
    ..i can do all the mech stuff myself, and the lil things, but i cant help the fact i have no tools, talent, shop, to build a frame myself! ill have plenty to do to it when i get it back..so i wont feel like kenny did it all! just the hard stuff!;) and ill tell anyone who asked, who built this and who did that! ..but as everyone knows.....I HAVE NO SHAME!:p