Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Birthday Presents!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 33Doll, Feb 9, 2020.

1. 33Doll

33Doll

Went up to Pops!
    Took me, my wife and stepmom out to dinner, and gave me the Title, and some more goodies for the 33’ for my birthday! Thanks Pop!
    The Greyhound had a Highway mishap years ago, so I got a little Straightening and polishing to do! At least it’s stainless! Poor dog looks like he’s praying “Fix Me”! IMG_8467.JPG IMG_8464.JPG IMG_8465.JPG IMG_8466.JPG

2. loudbang

loudbang

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

1947knuck, 33Doll and brady1929 like this.
  3. Man I miss those old hood ornaments !
    From the radiator,, to the hood,,,,they really added class to a lot of vehicles.

Tommy

33Doll likes this.
  4. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Ok... a little swap meet tip from a '34 restorer...
    I have never even picked one up of a swap meet table...
    he says the original greyhound has balls... the repops don't...
    about $400 difference with very nice vs. very nice...
    we used to joke around saying a woman owned the repop company and wouldn't give him balls...

5. Happy Birthday and great dad.

loudbang likes this.
  6. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I have chopped, channeled, sectioned, spliced and combined hundreds of bodies, on 1/64 scale die cast hot wheels...
    added a visor to make a '30 tudor from a '32 tudor… [Mattel doesn't make one] had to straighten the w/s post to make the A sedan correct...
    you can bend or twist the die cast more than you think when you heat it with a candle...
    experiment with hot wheels bodies till you get a feel for it...
    I have no experience with bending nice chromed diecast...
    I straightened a '38-'39 grill center strip about 3/8" but had bad chrome...
    ask the guys... something about covering it with soot insulates the chrome ?... HIH.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and 33Doll like this.
  7. 34Larry

34Larry

Happy B-day. Back years and years ago the first car my dad had was a 36 Ford. Being born in 1939 and growing up in the back seat of that, I was always fascinated by and with that Greyhound out on the front of that car. If I could figure out a way to make one look good on my 34 hi-boy I might try installing one. Making one look okay would be a tall order though I'm afraid.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and 33Doll like this.
  8. 33Doll

33Doll

It is a re pop of some sort, from like the 70’s. But Pop swears it’s stainless, so with some heat it should straighten out.
    We’ll see, cant make It much worse.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Stainless would be heavier than pot metal; that might help you determine it's makeup. I was told once, that originals had the tail suspended from the body, while later re-pops, laid the tail down on the legs for more support. Just what I was told by a Model 40 guy.

33Doll, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  10. 33Doll

33Doll

Yeah, i have those memories too!
    Loved that thing. But now Im afraid to run it on there, and worry about it falling off, and or getting stolen! You know kids! We used to “borrow” Mercedes emblems ! Worried about “Karma”

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  11. 33Doll

33Doll

Tail is separate, not molded in

12. 33Doll

33Doll

13. 33Doll

33Doll

14. Great, i seen that price and pissed on myself. :rolleyes::D

33Doll and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  15. Happy Birthday..........

33Doll likes this.
  16. That is a pure work of art !

Tommy

33Doll likes this.
  17. Fire Fox

Fire Fox

The 32 Roadster we just drug out of storage has one on it. I haven’t looked into it yet but I know the car has been put up since the early to mid 80’s so I would assume it’s an older hood ornament. What do you guys think?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

33Doll likes this.
  18. 33Doll

33Doll

19. 33Doll

33Doll

Also Found this:
    I believe this is the stainless ornament I have

Default Re: Greyhound Radiator Caps
    Hi there, The ONLY AUTHOURISED FORD MOTOR Co. greyhound radiator cap produced during 1934 only for the 1934 Ford passenger cars was made by STANT in Connersville Indiana. It was sold as an accessory only at ford dealers for $2.75 each. That greyhound has the free standing tail. Other companies made greyhound caps for fords back in 1933 to 1936 but were not authorised by ford although many ford dealers sold them. No others except "STANT" at that time had a free standing tail. I don't believe there was ever a 1932 ford greyhound cap made back in those times and that they were only made from the 1960s on as an aftermarket accessory. The other most popular greyhound cap made in 1933 & 1934 was by Franklin die casting co. in Chicago ILL. Its tail was not free standing. Another greyhound cap was made In 1933 and possibly 1934 by Rupert diecasting corp in Kansas City MO. and called "THE MURPHY CAP". These are very rare today. Another rare greyhound cap with a temperature gauge tube in its base was the "orna-meter" made by Central States Mfg. Co. St Lois Mo. The Don Sommer stainless steel 1933 & 1934 ford greyhounds have been made from the late 1960s until the present day. They are a very accurate reproduction of the original STANT dog with a free standing tail and today cost $600.00 each. More recently a brass reproduction of the free standing tail STANT greyhound is being reproduced. Many other zinc diecast greyhounds (1932 to 1936)with fixed tails have been available over the last 40 years but at the moment they have stopped producing them it seems. One could go on forever about Ford greyhound caps but one thing is for sure :- The only authentic Ford listed cap is the one made by "STANT" for the 1934 Ford passenger cars, part number 40-18385. Regards, Kevin.

maxinaz likes this.