Register now to get rid of these ads!

Birthday Gift 1932 5-Window Coupe!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MBL, May 30, 2008.

1. MBL

MBL

Well as you all obviously know...Today is my birthday. :) I am 32. And as a gift, my wonderful girlfriend, Mandy, and her brother, dv8, gave me a 1932 5-window coupe. How kick ass is that?
    Anyway, we went to pick up the car and was told it was a 1932 Chevy...but as it turns out, it is actually a 1932 Pontiac! The owner didn't know...hell we didn't know at first. Sure it needs some work, but nothing we can't fix. We're kinda getting good a kicking out a completed hot rod every so often.

The tentative plans are to do the body work and a 2" chop. Channel the body over a 32 Ford frame with a 34-ish x-member. Stick a 48 Caddy flathead and hydro in it...Rear end is not quite decided yet. So anyway, here are some pics:

[​IMG]
    In the truck about to get unloaded.

[​IMG]
    and sitting on the ground.
    [​IMG]

We found a guy that makes all the patches we need. And we are going to replace all wood structure with steel. I have a trunk lid for it to...so we can cut out that filled in stuff.

To me, it looks quite a bit like a 32 Ford 5-window...
    Tim
    MBL

2. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

kickass gift, man! Lucky SOB haha

3. blown41

blown41

Better marry that girl! NOW!

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

WHat the fuck!!!! That is the coolest thing I have heard in a while. I was just talking about my wife buying me a '32 Roadster repop body for my 32nd Birthday. Awesome Man!!!!

5. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

well now, you guys are invited to my birthday when the time comes around.;) Has some issues but nothing thats not...Hell it was free...I wouldn't mind if it was folded in half. Have fun and post some pics...

6. MBL

MBL

The body does have some issues; however, we totally have resources to get it right. That seems to be the make or break point on a lot of projects. Some folks get in over their head. We have a secret weapon...our buddy Ralph. :) Inside of a week he'll have that body setup and ready to go. A true metal magician. The stuff we'd take longer doing, he'll bang out for us in no time.
    Tim
    MBL

7. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great gift, go hug your girl, again. Any history on the car looks like its been a channeled rod previously...

8. MBL

MBL

Regrettably, I don't have any history on the car. But I do believe that it was raced at some point. The firewall is cut to fit something else and it has a place for a firewall mounted master and possibly a slave cyl. It also seems that the trunk lid was welded closed as some guys did back in the day. We can see that it had some light blue paint on it..maybe if we start cutting the paint down, we will find some numbers or something.
    Tim
    MBL

9. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

so you've told us some basic details, now give us the good stuff! What are your plans for the car. 60s style?

10. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Be sure to keep us posted especially if you start finding old numbers or lettering. It is really neat to see what is found under some paint.

11. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Wow! What a great birthday preasent. Congratulations on both the birthday and the new hotrod. Mike

12. MBL

MBL

The plans are for a early 50's period style build. 48 Caddy mill, bomber seats for interior..maybe wide fives or artillery wheels...

Color scheme I am leaning toward is a black cherryish body with black firewall and roof insert. Some tall rubber is in the cards too. We may be inclined to bring this one out to Bonnie at somepoint. One of our clubmates runs out there in a SoCal car so it may help us get our feet wet.

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Wide fives? We may have twin coupes going here MBL. Although, I have a Hemi and I am leaning towards the original color of Washington Type Blue. I also may run an aluminum hood if not the original one. Are you leaning towards running a hood or open?

14. MBL

MBL

Yeah Jeff, we have similar tastes it seems. I have this crazy steering wheel out of a 47 or so Kaiser Manhattan that I like the color of. I plan on running no hood and a 38 Ford Truck grille. Since I am channeling it, I will have to bob the rear of the 32 frame.
    Tim
    MBL

15. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

happy birthday!
    I have a complete 32 pontiac frame....trade ya for some bare 32 rails! :)

16. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Get a ring on her finger dude.

happy birthday.

17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Already tried dude!!! I have a '31 Chevy Chassis.

18. repoguy

repoguy

Nice coupe Tim.

But are you really going to run that 6 ton caddy flathead?

I know you like obscure shit and all, but good God, that is a HEAVY motor bro, and the speed parts are pricey.

19. MBL

MBL

Howdy Repo! Yeah...I'm gonna use that Caddy mill. The good news is that it puts out considerably more HP than the Flathead Ford.
    Tim
    MBL

20. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

While looking similar to a 32 Ford 5W ... the Pontiac 5W is actually a little bit larger ... :) and believe me ... That's a good thing.

Congratulations on the birthday gift and having a COOL girl friend.

21. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Did the Pontiac's not have visors on them?

22. MBL

MBL

31 Pontiacs and Chevies I think had visors. 32 did not.
    Tim
    MBL

23. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Ok that's what I thought. Your Pontiac looks very much similar to my '31 Chevy except the visor and the rear quarter windows. The pontiacs apear to be flat instead of a rounded bottom.

24. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Congratulations on the birthday gift and having a REAL COOL girl friend.

25. T-Roy

T-Roy

I'd drink to that.

Happy Birthday MBL!

26. Does Mandy dig full-figured fellas?

27. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

yeah, I don't know that this point can be emphasized quite enough here....
    She's a keeper!

28. MBL

MBL

Yeah...Yeah...I know...to top it off, she's way pretty.
    Tim
    MBL

29. Ted Kempgens

Ted Kempgens
    from Florida

Hey, nice start. Don't have a girl friend, instead a wife who wants to know when her cars going to be done. See you guys Sunday? Ted

30. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Way to go man!!! Happy bday and all that stuff. Pretty soon you'll be able to carry that guitar around in yer hotrod and not have to worry about it fallin out. LOL Congrats!