Register now to get rid of these ads!

Billetproof Washington 2010 Cruise - Problems/Solutions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Choptop, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Every member of our club will volunteer for sure. Each club that gets a free swapmeet space also gets an orange vest to share with the club members, we take turns wearing the vest at the cruise and help out with the cruise (vest is more official then the tall sherrif with 3 gallon hat:D ). Anyone who jacks around gets a big pink "STUPID" sticker slapped on their windshield and they are done for cruising and / or BilletProof admission.

-Shiny

2. BruceVE

BruceVE
    from Sacramento

It's always a few that wind up ruining it for the rest. That's why we have laws, to protect the majority from the minority. That's also why we, the Poor Boys, have a "reputation" which makes it harder and more costly to put on a show every year.

I feel for you Alan, you never know what some idiot(s) might do at the show and you never know if you'll be welcomed back because of it.

I enjoy seeing people have a good time and I'm proud that we have an event that people enjoy coming to. But if you want it to be there next year, you need to respect the hard work and time we put into it for your enjoyment.

3. Skirv

Skirv

Pardon me if I'm wrong, but isn't this you?

[​IMG]

4. I think this is whats its going to come to. But I agree it needs to be a closed to us event with a tag on the window and a disclaimer on you app that you can be kicked out for burnouts and wreckless driving.

The cost of the show may have to come up a little to pay or help pay for the needed security/inforcement at the cruz but we do what we must do.

5. Yeah and I've also been known to talk on my cellphone while driving too:eek:;)

Was just showing that the cars I build go down the road straight....

-Shiny

6. TMoney

TMoney

Thanks for the great show Alan. I had a blast. I completely agree, I don't know how many times during the cruise I looked at the misses and said, "well, there goes the cruise for next year." I agree that there were some Billetproofers being rowdy but I noticed more billet-clad, pro-street, muscle cars doing most of it. I assumed they were locals.

I actually got accosted after saying above statement by an evesdropping local that told me "if I didn't like how they act in their own town, I can just go home and never come back." I explained to him that the only reason "they" were allowed to cruise in "their own town" was because of "us" and "our car show," and then showed him a picture of a no cruising sign on my camera.

I said it then and you said it here, the option of only Billetproofers cruising and having streets blocked off would be awesome. There were so many people in late model cars that it really took away from the cruise. There were quite literally 3 times as many said cars than rods and customs.

All this being said, you have really brought something to the northwest. I love this show and look forward to it every year. Thank you and maybe this change will be for the better.

7. patch

patch

for a guy named Shiny your not to bright ... practice what you preach !!!

8. Choptop

Choptop

I actually think it will make it better. JUST Billetproof cars in the cruise.

we are working on ways to get this done.

9. ditto on that ! That's the kind of thing that WE DON'T NEED ! Tell what me what would have happened if someone ran or pulled out in front of you. Thats the behavior I can't stand for, enjoy yourself cruise around with your friends have a blast.. not bright for sure !

10. so do mine ! but I still keep both hands on the wheel ! :eek:

11. rustdodger

rustdodger

i hope things can be worked out it was agreat time! many thanks to all who made the event possible.

12. Danger

Danger

I like the idea of having it in an old industrial part of town, the roads are wider and more parking, it would be cool to just have Billitproof cars there too so that you don&#8217;t have to look at the mini van cruising with everyone else.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

13. sure would be a shame for such a cool car to get ruined:rolleyes: wait are those hand controls?:eek::D

14. Angliagasser

Angliagasser

Sweet Mullet alias Joe Dirt, according to my daughter and her friends, is one of those local none participants at the Billetproof show but seems to flaunt his burnout abilities whenever he thinks he can get away with his actions. A Willys with a blown engine can be a nasty beast to tame if improperly driven, city streets are not for racing, launches or burnouts. How many of us have seen the Xmas tree driven over during a burnout at the dragstrip, happens every year. Cruises these days is a rare gift and hopefully we can find a common ground with the local government to continue this former tradition.

15. Someone else in this thread said it, this was discussed last year. I realize this is not for you to police Alan, but why wasn't this enforced this year? I see this as a city/police issue, not a Billetproof issue. I understand it's your show, but how would they expect you to enforce this (or would they)? I assume this was talked about last year with the city, who took the responsibility to enforce this?

16. Choptop

Choptop

As for the problems coming forward from last year... yes, a few people did indeed do burnout s last year. The police Dept. didnt elevate that to a problem that needed extra enforcement this year. It really wasnt THAT bad. Granted one burnout is one too many... but the Police Dept. signed off on the permit without any extra requirements because they, and I, expected the cruise to be the size it was last year. What we got this year was something about 2-3x the size of last year. It caught them and my flat footed. Throw into the mix the fact that the police dept was stretched thin due to some emergencies elsewhere in the area and you have just about the perfect storm for troublemakers.

As for closing the road...its not up the police to close roads, look for window cards or to have someone stationed at EVERY intersection making sure that only Billetproof cars get into the closed off area... thats up to me.The police, city, DOT, merchants and residents approve the closure, but its up to me to put out the barricades, staff the intersections and such. The poiice will have an elevated presence at next years cruise, if we are allowed to do it, no matter what form it takes.

I'm leaning towards closing the road, limiting it to Billetproof only cars and when its "over" the streets get opened up and any caught cruising or violating ANY traffic law will be cited.

I hope I can get all the parties above to sign off on this idea. Its going to be a tough battle. But I can point to couple of successful models of this... most notably the Unique Tin show in Longview and West Coast Kustoms in Santa Maria.

This does a couple of things.. it removes the local yahoo factor. It also removes the anonymity factor for Billetproof yahoo's. Every car on the street is indeed a Billetproof car and everyone knows it. Screw up and not only will you be cited, but your info will be passed along to me from the police and you will not be welcomed back to the show...ever. Sounds harsh... but damn, not only is it screwing up a good time, but its screwing with my business, and thats something I take VERY seriously.

It also distills down the cruise to a time warp style scene back to the day. No modern cars in the stunning backdrop of downtown Centralia. It will look VERY cool.

we'll see if we can get it done.

[​IMG]

17. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Chop, I hope you are able to restore the cruise portion, thou not able to attend this year I really enjoyed last year. . I enjoyed it because it was like cruising used to be, one one road and down another.

cruising in a closed look like Santa Maria is better then nothing but just not the same for those of use who used to actually cruise (when it used to be legal in most places).

Please do what you can to allow the Billetproof participants the ability to roam the streets (even it is just a select few) with there being one way streets in the downtown it makes it great for side by side cruising, hang a left and continue a few blocks before making another left back onto the mainstreet.

thanks for all your efforts, I know its not easy..

18. OneBad56

OneBad56

The Lethbridge Alberta Street Wheelers CC have a 3 day weekend event, with the cruise night leading off the three days.
    -the cruise hours are 7 to 10 and the streets open up after that.
    -there is a limit to the number of cars on the cruise, I believe its 500.
    -must be registered to be in the cruise (no tickee, no laundry).
    -and there is only one way into the cruise area, appropriately called "cruise control".

Sounds like a solution for Billetproof.

And yes, there is a "strong" police presence at all times to keep a lid on it.
    One can say they have put a damper on it but there are no dumbshits doing dumbass donuts/burnouts. that happens on the other streets.

19. TMoney

TMoney

I think I can speak for the whole club in saying that Thee Inland Emperors would be glad to help out in whatever way possible. Policing intersections, manning the entrance or whatever you would need. We all would love to see this cruise happen for years to come.

20. I second that motion.

21. Dump Rat

Dump Rat

[​IMG]

“We showed up for the cruise and everyone said it'll be jammed with standing room only, so we ablidged!!! Hahahaha, what a riot! After cruising around standing up driving for miles later on I'm cruising with CGkid and I hang out his door yelling at my dad-inlaw and the cops pull us over and were gonna ticket me for unsafe travelling in a car. I was going to just pay it and it said you should of seen me a while ago!"

“Every member of our club will volunteer for sure. Each club that gets a free swapmeet space also gets an orange vest to share with the club members, we take turns wearing the vest at the cruise and help out with the cruise (vest is more official then the tall sherrif with 3 gallon hat). Anyone who jacks around gets a big pink "STUPID" sticker slapped on their windshield and they are done for cruising and / or BilletProof admission.”

-Shiny

For a guy who now wants to help control the cruise why the bragging about breaking the law before? It is actions like yours that ruin it for everyone else.

22. I've seen this damn picture too many times, and now its time to throw in my .02 cents:
    This goes beyond stupidity its so hard to comprehend; and on a crowded public street lined
    with people and cars.....If the cruise gets shut down, it will be due to this idiot!!

CHOPTOP, SEE THAT THIS GUY IS BANNED FROM THE CRUISE NEXT YEAR, and if the city
    officials have seen it, confirm with them that he will not be back!! I am sure most members
    would applaud the decision....

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  23. Come on dude , chill. He now knows what not to do. Yes it is stupid, but the odds of anything happening is slim to none. I'm sure he won't do it again. He was probably lost in the moment and sometimes we all do things that we regret. He has read these posts and hopefully he learned something.

24. patch

patch

... this guy has a habit of calling everybody else an IDIOT ??? just going to add one more thing here and I'm done ... I've had a few friends including myself who have had more than few verbal run ins with this guy. For anyone who might be interested, do a search here for "Any Canadians near Treasure Island BC". I know for a fact that this has had an impacted on a few of my friends and maybe even a few I don't know who have tried to sell parts on the HAMB and EBAY, where the potential buyers have been leary to do the deal because it's coming from Canada ... this kind of behavior doesn't belong in our hobby.

And that's all I got to say ... cuz I've wasted too much energy on this topic.
    Lets go cruisin, stay safe and have some fun folks ... cheers ~:)

25. Choptop

Choptop

Ease up kids...

this isnt about finger pointing or trying to single out any one offender. Just wanted everyone to know that it has become a problem that was elevated above the level of just something that could handled internally. We will get it worked out cuz like I said, we have some friends in local gov. They wont stay friends for long if this kind of thing continues.. but there is some hope.

Just be aware and do your part not to be part of the problem and I'll do my part in setting up a cruise that we can all enjoy... and by all I mean Billetproofers and the City.

26. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I doubt standing in his car is what the city officials were worried about. It was those that like to hit the loud pedal and either exhibit speed or burnouts. using the 'standing room only' picture as a reason why the cruise might be cancelled is dump.

that was innocent fun eh.

27. Dump Rat

Dump Rat

Are you Guys kidding me ??!! SAFETY is what it's all about.

Whippet, I'm sure he knew BEFORE, what NOT to do. As far as the 'odds' being slim to none of anything happening? How can you base the safety of others on 'odds'? :confused: If this guy had fallen into his car and put my family in harms way, his subsequent ban from Billetproof would be the least of his worries.

Boones, you're right, standing in your car isn't what the city officials are worried about....it's when you're standing in your car, AND DRIVING IT DOWN THE STREET, that they'd have the problem with. :eek:

28. Dump Rat, Its something I wouldn't do but even if I did try it down a abandoned street, I wouldn't think at 2 miles an hour I couldn't jump back down and hit the brakes in an emergency. Having him fall in his car would also have to have him hit the gas and grab the wheel to careen into people. What if he also had a brain hemorrhage and lost control or he went into a seizure or or or or .... how about a lightning bolt hitting his accelerator pedal and welding it to full throttle. I mean come on, there are many things that could happen even losing your brakes. Nothing happened so let it go. He won't do it again and if he does, then obviously he didn't learn and won't be welcome ever again if he even makes it back to Canada after the H.A.M.B beating.
    There Shiny I have said you won't do it again, don't let me down. I have faith in you.
    By the way, I'm the one you talked to when my friend was getting his guitar pin striped.

29. Let's hear from Shiny himself , since his reply regarding about" talking on cell phones while driving too and to show my cars drive straight ", nice reply to what I think was a serious safety problem. Like Ironbuyer stated and I agree 100 % we need to police our selves to high degree. with a critical look at anyone that poses harm to another cruiser or spectator. This will be my last post about this. I think he owes an apology to Alan and all of Billetproof staff an the HAMB group and or Canadian friends for his total lack of respect for safety. So let this be lesson for what not to do . Alan I hope I can stay for the cruise next year, maybe I can be of help. Hope he keeps your promise, but I will hold my breath on that one...

30. I have been down this road before. If you don't make an example of him no one will respect your authority to manage the show. I would suggest giving him the first "STUPID" sticker and banning him from the show. Talk about putting your foot in your mouth. That act was just plain dumb. This cruise thing you got going there Choptop is just asking for trouble. You jeopardize losing the fairgrounds and the show with trying to do too much. At least in the fairgrounds you can police the actions of the yahoo's and have cops on the grounds in a confined area that is away from the public and neighbors. I know of which I speak. Out on the street the cops can have their way with guys like this and the the burnouts. Just a few thoughts. Out.