Register now to get rid of these ads!

Billetproof and Detroit Dragway Reunion 2013!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Choptop, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Choptop

Choptop

The only way to cross from one side of the track to the other is around the back of the staging lanes. Having people walking around in the staging lanes and at the back of the burnout box is a safety issue... I dont know of any track that allows it. The only other way to cross over would be to cross the track or to have a bridge across the track.

2. derbydad276

derbydad276

sorry :
    I wasn't impressed with the billetproof show.
    by the time I got around to getting over there it was 2:00 pm the band had quit playing and it seemed like after they made their (pass) down the strip a lot of cars left
    I really didn't like seeing the 67-72 chevy trucks parked in the show when I was told my 67 f100 was too new even though it was 60's correct

the good part was taking my 10 year old car nut nephew to the show and was told KIDS are FREE!!!

on the other hand The Detroit Dragway Reunion was the party to be at ! with the addition of the great lakes gassers and the 4 speed racers the 10 year old that was with me was on the edge of his seat with his eyes glued on the track the whole time
    and the show that the funny cars put on was fantastic and arnie the farmer got a little loose in his Pontiac but stayed in it
    and I loved the twin engine front engine car

the only downer to the day was the temp and then getting rained out before eliminations could happen

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  3. Choptop

Choptop

The band didnt play constantly all day. They did 3 1.5 hour sets. Started around 10am, then another one when the track was shut down for .75-1hour for the clean up and again before we gave out awards at 3:30pm.

there was a car or two that snuck in that were out of the date range... told they couldnt be in the show and had to park in the spectator lot, then snuck across the road and "into" the show. Some folks parked their dailes on the "show" side as well. No real way to police that and it wasnt a big deal.

the car count was up from last year... (which was down over all from the Davisburg days)... will have an exact count when I get home and go through the window cards. I do know that there were 5-6 rows of cars all the way down the strip on the show side....thats 1.5-1.75 miles of hot rods.

4. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Well I have to say for the weather that we had it was a good turn out for both shows and I am so glad I paid the $5 to walk over to the Billetproof show it was really good and it looked like it would be a good place for a car show. I almost put my new Chevy II project in the Billetproof show but I parked with the Great Lakes Gassers and helped out since my Falcon is still not ready with its new engine.

Here is a few pictures of the new project, 1962 Checvy II with a turbo 250 six. Thanks to HAMB member jgb7038 for the pictures he took of it.

Jon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would have thought spectator turnout to be more than it was. I also asked locals all week (within 15mi of the place) if they were going and got "Where? What's Billetproof?" I put up one of the promo cards in the local diner too. Considering the weather the turnout was great, and another "hit" for me was seeing all the usual suspects from my Det Dragway days. Clearly there's growing pains whenever a venue changes, and I also think all participants, race and show, should have an all inclusive entry fee. One compliments the other so why not? One final shocker, I was amazed at how many racers didn't even know there was a car show going on at the west side of the track. I spoke with a dozen old friends and racers in the pits, maybe 3-4 were aware of the show. Just a few things to think about, and for the turnout that was there it could have all been held in the pits. Whether or not that in itself is a good idea I couldn't say. Might help those who have issues with the crossover distance if it matters, and it would make the swap more attractive to vendors having racers shop through their stuff as well.

6. Eric H

Eric H

We had a great time at the show. We are looking forward to next year.

7. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

My Take on the event..........
    Racing action = good
    Giving Lady Cruzer a ride in the hot rod = great
    Seeing Stright axle Steve pushing a baby stroller around all day=PRICELESS

8. BAAD32

BAAD32

Had a great time at the show and some great racing too! Here are a few cars that rolled up from Ohio with us. Looking foward to next year! The Best of Show for my roadster & Best Custom for my uncles 40 conv. was very cool! Thanks

Attached Files:

9. BAAD32

BAAD32

My dads sedan & brothers roadster!

Attached Files:

10. Futura63

Futura63
    from N/W ohio

Good morning
    too bad for the weather but alot of great cars ! Does anyone have any pics of that beautifull orange Crosley ? I didnt get a chance to cruise the Billetproof side, however I was in the lanes when he made his trip down the strip and it didnt sound like a crosley , so I was just wondering about it . ???
    thanks

11. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

12. Futura63

Futura63
    from N/W ohio

13. BRENT

BRENT

Yeah I too would go back next year for sure! That main road onto the dragway has got to be one of the worst roads in Michigan. I cringe to think of how much damage my car would get

Brent