Register now to get rid of these ads!

History BILL SMITH’S.........ROADSTER

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Austinrod, May 28, 2019.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Austinrod Looking back at the Original Nerf Bumpers in the Magazine I'm on the fence with these...Reading into your talk of the New Nerf setup being all you could come up with mechanically on short notice.

Is it material or process that has become hard to find?

I am not against a mans right to change whatever they feel might benefit as in if it's better visually and fits with the period why not...Whats your opinion? I haven't seen a full on 3/4 from the front.

The Garage shot color looks better to this pic above as it is a bit Overexposed and you lose something there too.

I know your working on a hardcover replacement for the spare...

All this above regarding the Nerfs may change with Shine and New Pics and Angles so I always look forward to the next rung on the ladder knowing full well how much you respect it's former Heyday...;)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    chryslerfan55, LBCD and Austinrod like this.
  2. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Since it’s rainy season I made a quickie poncho for the roadster
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. verde742

verde742
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nerf aren't even the same, might as well go with bumpers..o_O

4. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

I'm in with the crowd who are seeing the new nerfs as a bit ham-handed.

The new ones look well made and will likely provide more protection than the originals but, aesthetically, they miss the mark.

If you do have plans to reproduce the look of the original nerfs in the future, you have my complete support.

Take my musings for what they're worth, and---no matter what--- keep enjoying this great machine!

LBCD, brad2v, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  5. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Bill Smith @

1983 Nostalgia Nationals - Baylands Raceway Park - Fremont California
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad

35cab, chryslerfan55 and verde742 like this.
  6. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

I’ve been following along with this thread from the start. I fell in love with this car after listening to the new owners enthusiasm towards bring the car back to its former glory.

I’m not usually one to criticize anyone’s efforts but I am one to give praise when due.

I love the direction the car is going however I’m not digging the nerf bars either. They need to be thinner, more like the originals. These look like they are very well made and I like the stainless but they are too big and bulky and distracting away from the long slender look of the car.

I’d rather go back to the bumpers if I had to choose between the two. My ultimate choice would be a more closely to original nerfs.

Take it for what’s it’s worth it’s just an opinion and you know what they say!!! I still love the car

brad2v likes this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a fairweather Hotrod I call it and I have passed on events due to even a hint of rain...so I understand the move to a just in case scenario...problem is the driving scenario...I think of a hood and a wiper addition and improving weather stripping to help get by this potential rain issue here and there.

No tarp yet and I actually got caught in a minor drizzly rain event this year and pulled over till it passed as it got a wee bit damp...:eek:

I guess you have to consider tie/strapdown because rain many times it has it's buddy Wind...

Any more pics with the new Bars. Did you polish them up yet?...

Remember I already appreciate your taking this Hotrod under your wing...I firmly believe you to be the perfect match for ownership of this Classy Machine...;)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  8. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Haven’t had time too polish yet have two car shows coming up.
    After them I’m going too put the original wheel cover chrome ring and original dice shifter back on and it will make the nerf bars look smaller

Sent from my iPad

Hamtown Al, Peanut 1959 and Stogy like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your a good sport in light of our reservations...and I want to see More!!...and You may make believers out of us yet...:D

Your eyes weren't born yesterday either...;)

10. brad2v

brad2v
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At the risk of being a band wagon jumper, another non fan of the nerf bars. And I'm a giant supporter of 'bars. Copy the originals.

Jim Bouchard likes this.
  11. sololobo

sololobo

sorry to see this skillful project underappreciated. I have always had a soft spot for that sports car/hot rod look. Thanx for a super interesting historic thread. It's that ol "different strokes for different folks" deal and nobody is wrong.

12. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Photo shoot last night
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad