Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bill Hirsch Engine Enamel and Hardner/Catalyst

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Sharmack, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Sharmack

Sharmack

Hello guys, I did a search and didn't find exactly the information i was looking for. I purchased some Bill Hirsch Engine Enamel in a quart to paint my engine and some odds and ends waterpump, oil filler neck stuff like that. I have done quite a bit of painting but, mostly with Urethanes and Lacquer. I was trying to find an MSDS sheet on the Bill Hirsch stuff to try to figure out if it is an Alkyd or Acrylic enamel system. I was trying to get this information to possibly add a bit of hardner to speed up the cure time and increase the durability. Wanted to make sure I use the right one. Just wondering if anyone has done this and what they used. I have to shoot in a less than ideal environment and I really have disliked enamels because of how long they tend to stay open and tacky allowing nice little bits of dust and junk and bugs to get in there and screw up the finish. When I have had the opportunity to air brush one shot enamels adding a bit of hardner really helped with this..Anyone have any experience with this?

2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I would think a call or email to Bill Hirsch paint company would give you all the info you would need. bhttp://www.hirschauto.com/
    KK

3. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Just apply it out of can. Doesn't need hardner. Go fast as it will over spray if you don't keep it wet. Dries really quick but really gets better as engine heat is applied. Been using it for years. Only problem is color may be a little off if your a restoration nut.

4. Sharmack

Sharmack

Thanks for the responses. I was going to call Hirsch today but ran out of time. If straight out of the can is the way to go I'll just do that. I've just never used it before, just other enamels and they have seemed to take a long time to dry.
    Thanks again

5. Call them. They are very helpful. BTW I have brush-painted two motors with Bill Hirsch paint. If you move quickly, it flows out perfectly with no brush marks.

6. Bill S

Bill S

I have a 50 ford. I went to Ace hardware and got I rattle can that matched the 50 Ford engine color. Been on about 15 years. Had to do some touch up on the intake under the carb.

7. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I just sprayed some last night I did add a small amount of lacquer thinner to thin it out. I was just spraying a small part so I used my airbrush so maybe with a bigger gun you might not have to thin it down.

8. Aeroman

Aeroman

Just sprayed some Bill Hirsch enamel on Friday. I got runs on it and sounds like I have to wait a month before sanding it down and reshooting it

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk