Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bill Hines Rejected At LB Motorama

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by eatlead, Sep 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oh Boy, Car Show Drama. Completely Traditional, happened back in the day, happens now! :D

2. VonWegener

VonWegener

Isn't Trace Edwards a country singer? What would he know?

3. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

pretty sure he sings ackey breaky heart.

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Tardel and I were lucky enough (or maybe we were misfortunate enough?) to be present on two different occasions at the GNRS to see some pretty bizarre shit go down between this fella and the GNRS crew. I mean, we were both 3 sheets to the wind (another long story) and it still seemed over-the-top bizarre.

Then again, I've been treated pretty awkwardly at the GNRS too. Not that I blame them... cuz well, I probably deserved it. Something about that show turns me into a drunk. Typically, I don't even drink. Go figure...

I wrote an article about the "politics of car shows" that went into all of this craziness. It's slanted heavily towards a drunk man's view of the world and I'm not brave enough to face the wrath of posting it.

And hell, no one can screw up a car show like I can. Proof? The Drags a couple of years ago when I had a line 5 miles down the highway... Or how about the Cinematic that got rained out while our bad ass old hot rod movie was replaced by Pixar's WALL-E. That didn't rule. Not at all.

As for this specific incident... I guess I don't get it. That car is too late to meet the criteria. I think Mr. Hines should probably get that.

THR1LL3R likes this.
  5. Muttley

Muttley

So just because he's an old dude and built some cool stuff in the past the rules dont apply to him? I wouldnt have let that thing in either, its retarded looking.

6. ruralrod

ruralrod

no shit.

7. brad chevy

brad chevy

I really don't understand you guys thinking its alright to break the rules of a show just because of who the guy is. Bill Hines definitely is a great car builder but rules are rules. If you was putting on an all 32 Ford show would you let George Barris park one his T-bucket creations right in the middle just because of who he is ? Hell No. I wouldn't but sounds like some of you would.

8. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Total disrespect for a man that has been doing this since the early 40s I couldn't care less if bill hines rode in on the wiener mobile, he is the original foundation for this hobby and should be treated as such not treated like some two bit hillbilly with a rat rod. Disgraceful behavior displaying contempt for a visionay and true gentleman.I feel ashamed for this hobby

9. And the same goes for that silly trike that Roth tried to pass off as a 34 Ford. Yeah I get it that sometimes you make exceptions for guys like that, but both sides need to be a little more understanding it sounds like....

10. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

:D what more is there to say.

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yes and no...

Some folks will be incredibly sensitive to Bill Hines... Because, hey... He is a legend and a great guy. Understandable.

Other folks with certain ties will use this as an opportunity to bag on the show in hopes that it fails. Just like the folks from the other camp grab at any opportunity to bag on the GNRS.

It's a big mess of politics and personalities that makes a wonderful story... Anyone ever seen the movie "King Of Kong"? It's awesome... and reminds me a lot of this deal.

In any case, at the end of the day they are just car shows. They aren't important in the grand scheme of things. The GNRS was great this year and this show looks pretty incredible too. Just concentrate on that... unless you love a dark comedy of clashing personalities.

12. Well said!! I just dobt understand why he wont be signing anything.

13. Builtforsin

Builtforsin

Assuming that pre-registration/pre-approval is required, either the promoters knew what he was bringing and decided last minute it was no bueno, or he didn't bring what he said he was and it was in conflict with the year cut off. right?

14. Muttley

Muttley

HAHA, yeah its hilarious.........I tried to use a quote from it as my signature but it was too long.

15. msalamanca

msalamanca

The Monster that your speaking of I think is the red car. Correct?

16. Special Ed

Special Ed

Hindsight is 20/20. :cool: But maybe ask him to park it just outside the entrance, or something? I dunno.
    Lack of communication, no doubt. I would think something could be negotiated to keep the peace, and to not disrespect the man, but still honor the rules...

17. Choptop

Choptop

oohhhh car show drama... I feel sorry for anyone it gets directed at but at the same time I have to smile and think "well, at least its not just me that catches this kind of crap" :D

Dont know the story and I'm not going to guess at the particulars... but I do know this, Trace is all about respecting the hobby and the people that founded it. He wouldnt disrespect Bill Hines, hell, he had the mans hands cast in acrylic last year to put in his Legends display in the main hall.

the red car, I can totally see why it wouldnt be let into the show. No way, no how should it be there. Totally off topic.

the other one? like I said, dont know the story and I'm not going to guess at the particulars... I but I do know this, it had nothing to do with Trace disrespecting Bill Hines, that much I am 100% sure of.

why dont ya'll calm down until the real story is told. Hell, Trace posts here, but right now he is a little busy putting on a big car show. Step away from the computer, go out to the garage and work on your car. Leave the conspiracy theories alone for a while (particularly when the "story" comes from someone that JUST signed up on the board and has 2 posts...sounds like someone with an axe to grind). :D

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  18. slammed

slammed

Later after the smoke clears, we'll have a clearer view of what went down. Po-lo-fuckin'-tics. Egos. Pride. Awards (trophy) Rules. Just drive the damned things!

19. Hey! If the rest of us can post shit after a night of beers I think you should as well!:D

20. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

If it wasn't for bill and the other "old dudes" you wouldn't have this forum to be disrespectful on. Go tell Mr Hines he is just an" old dude" to his face when surrounded by other people into customs and see how long you last

21. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

You are spot on as always.

The red car sucks. It does not belong no matter who built it.

22. So if he was to sign at the event I'll assume that there would have been a booth for that. Have him park the car with the booth as part of the signing deal and that way the car is not part of the show. Seen this at NSRA events and others and it's one way to get around the problem. Thinking that theres more to this than meets the eye.

23. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

He said it on the HAMB. That covers it, and then some.

:rolleyes:Lets see how long you last Mutt. :rolleyes:

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

I agree with Special Ed - find some middle ground. as stated, putting on a car show can be a real pain the ass and sometimes there is a no win situation. besides this situation I hope that the show turned out as great as the claims made in the promotion of it. I went last year and was really impressed with most of show.

25. My first thought as well ... where's the "Intro-Police" when we could actually use them?

26. I've never understood car shows and never will.

Short of driving the stuff down the highway, if I can't sit in a car, run my hand along the fenders, lean into the engine bay and talk to the owner about how he did this and that while we drink a beer in his (or my) garage, then I'd rather just skip it.

27. Yup. That and a pretty melodramatic title to this thread that makes it sound like Bill himself stood there and argued with promoters for 8 hours. I would be surprised if Bill was even in the building while all this went down.

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Good point. Screw this thread.

29. HRP
    I have the same basic opinion of Bill Hines as you. I don't know the entire story as I wasn't there but it is obvoius that the red car is too new, or at least the roof is too new as in about a 1984 model Cutless/Monte Carlo too new.

That is no disrespect for Bill, he embodies everything that I believe every rodder and cutom builder should be. build 'em the way you see fit and let the chips fall where they may.

Maybe to put it in perspective suppose Don Garlits were to show up at the HAMB drags in an '02 corvette and want to run. The cutoff date is '64 and all entries have to pre register. Would it be right to allow Garlits to run a late model corvette just because he is Don Garlits?

Now on the other side of the coin, maybe Ryan told Mr Garlits bring swhatever you got and run it. No need for pre registration, you're Don Garlits. So now garlits shows up with the Vette and everyone says no way we got a '64 cutoff date. Shouldn't garlits be alowed to run the vette anyway?

Like I said I wasn't there so I know absolutely nothing about the arguement but it is possible that it went one of these two ways, now isn't it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.