Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bike carrier?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Entlebucher, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Entlebucher

Entlebucher

I want to haul my mountain bikes with the A-Coupe (symbiosis of my favorite hobbys:)). So i am searching for some nice ideas or old pictures of special luggage-racks for the A. Maybe somebody tried this already?

Here are two pictures of a first attempt with my bike on. The Bumpers are just perfect to put the wheels on:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I am thankful for every input and every creative idea!

Greetz from switzerland

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  2. i would remove the spare tire and build a bracket to bolt there like a regular bike carrier. probably could use parts from one to build it.
    take the bike if you get a flat!

3. Entlebucher

Entlebucher

Yes, i want to use the mounting of the spare wheel. I try to get an oldstyle look (without plastic), maybe with leather straps and wood for the parts that are fixing the bike frame...

4. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Look at Quadratech (sp?) Jeep accessories on line as they have some bike/ski racks that bolt on the spare tire of a Jeep. Might inspire a similar rack that bolts to the A spare

5. Keep us posted on your build.

6. squirrel

squirrel

I made some cheezy brackets from small pieces of steel, such as angle and square tube, and hung them off the bumper brackets. It worked slick on my trip to Bonneville last year.

[​IMG]

7. Entlebucher

Entlebucher

thanks for you ideas!

@squirrel: Neat! You have to look twice two mention Rails!

Winter has just begun, time to do some handicrafts:)

8. skottyknukkles

skottyknukkles

I have a hidden hitch on my sedan. And a thule upright

9. skottyknukkles

skottyknukkles

Squrriels setup would look best on your coupe. But don't you think that free ride bike looks a bit out of place? !

10. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

build a frame that slips over your spare and then hang the bike from that.

11. Entlebucher

Entlebucher

My AV8 is now finished and i build a temporary solution for the spare wheel carrier. Wheels fit perfect in the bumper bar, very stable. Did 300mls with this solution, but i have to improve. I will have to carry 2 bikes.

I know... the bikes aren´t period correct... but that´s my way of combining my favorite hobbies;) And in case of need, you still got a backup-vehicle:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]