Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Big truck rear end

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4b316, May 15, 2018.

1. 4b316

4b316
    from ny

IMG_0478.JPG IMG_0479.JPG IMG_0480.JPG IMG_0481.JPG i just got a few parts to put into storage for when I get ready to build my traditional rod.flathead is mostly complete and will be coming apart before long to see what shape it is in.just was wondering if anybody has seen a rear like this and what it is.

2. BJR

BJR

3. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Or the lack of....

4. The first two pics are the axle and a big casing stuck onto the axle. Is that what a Marmon Herrington looks like ? Just a guess.

5. Tandem axle setup

Hnstray likes this.
  6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

^^^^^^^^agreed......that is a tandem axle setup with both axles being ‘drivers’, not just one of them being a ‘tag’ axle. You can see the shaft on the gear case passes through the upper end of the case, while driving internal gears that turn the pinion of the axle the case is attached to.

Given the era of that flat head, and the gear train power absorption, it’s a wonder that enough power was available to carry much of a load.

Ray

XXL__ likes this.
  7. XXL__

XXL__

I was just doing the same 'mental math' while looking at those pics.

Hnstray likes this.
  8. F&J

F&J

check out that homemade winch drum mounted to a ford banjo rear...wild..

9. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

That is a pretty neat old tractor conversion / Doodlebug you found there.

I'd wager that Warford box is an underdrive or overdrive and probably valuable to somebody. There are guys that do old big trucks and they go crazy for uncommon pieces like that.

I first thought that was a 4x4 conversion box flipped or some kind of PTO but I've never seen anything like that on one of the big Timken style rear ends so I don't really know. It looks like the builder used it to run that winch they made out of an old banjo rear end though. I've seen a few of those around New England.

That center in the V8 Banjo is an open drive unit. You may want it for parts if you're not going to run a torque tube.

The big Timken rear looks to be an 11 bolt unit. If you find another one you can make a Champ Quick Change with them and be a BEAST.

The big 4spd is mostly good for pulling stumps and driving SLOW in parades.

EDIT, Here is the article:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/how-to-build-a-cheap-traditional-quickchange.377014/

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    Hnstray likes this.
  10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Back in that time, with only about 85 or less horsepower, they had to be creative with gearboxes to get the job done. Never ceases to amaze me, seeing what they designed back then, both factory and back yard stuff. Good find, Bones

11. 4b316

4b316
    from ny

Yeah, it has like a bearing circle on the outer housing by the brakes that spins around the housing, they had the frame bolted right to it. I just bought it for the engine and stuff plus a front end,spring and some wire wheels.i didn't grab the winch, I'll go back and get it,paid $150 for everything I picked up.

12. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Go get all of it, there's good stuff there. Even the frame can be re-purposed.

13. 4b316

4b316
    from ny

Guy was cutting it up into short steel when I got there,not much left now