Register now to get rid of these ads!

Big Thanks to Tom Out At Dick's Classic Garage in San Marcos, TX!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MissPrint, Feb 6, 2011.

1. MissPrint

MissPrint

Since me and my "partner in crime," aren't really into the whole hype surrounding the Superbowl (he's a football fan, but his Giants were long since eliminated), and funds didn't allow us to go out to the Austin Swap Meet, we decided to cruise on down to Lockhart, get some BBQ at Smitty's and then head down to Dick's Classic Garage in San Marcos.

We'd never been there before, but having seen pics of the #50 Tucker here on the HAMB, we figured a mini-road trip was well worth the adventure and hour drive down to San Marcos.

When we arrived in the Edsel (and perhaps because we did arrive in the Edsel ;)) we were greeted with, literally, open arms by Tom. Without hesitation, he invited us for basically a private tour of all the rare birds in the joint!

Not only did he take us back into the shop, show us around -- including an early Auburn boat-tail speedster which was in the middle of resto :eek:, the #2 Tucker engine :eek:, their whole shop set up, but a beeeeauuuutiful '59 Edsel Convertible (amongst other amazing treasures!)!

He really gave us the grand tour, lifted the "ropes" let us look at dayum near every car in their collection!!! It WAS AMAZING!!

Here are just a few of the cars they have on display down there. . .Jim (Kustom7777) fell in love with the 1936 Cord. . .and the '49 Olds, but I was particularlly smitten by the Merc Wagon and the "Queen of Diamonds" Duesenberg. . .and I included pics of the Hudson Terraplane Truck, just for Marcy!

Top notch cars. Top notch gentleman!

Thanks again, Tom, your generousity and hospitality are SOOO appreciated!!:D

Attached Files:

2. crowen57

crowen57

Thanks for the write-up. We'll have to check it out next time we're passing through.

3. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

nice pics, great cars. i had a 55 Mercury Monterey wagon. great wagon sure wish i could have kept it to get some memories with it.

4. RAY With

RAY With

Good shots Missprint and thanks for posting. Thats cool as hell you got the red carpet treatment and got up close and personal with the cars. Thanks for posting

5. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Nice! I love boat tail Auburns!

6. MissPrint

MissPrint

Not only did we get the red carpet treatment, they said they'd be really happy to give the Meatheads the red carpet treatment too! :cool:

(P.S. I'm gonna talk to the Head Meatheads about this. . .It would be a great BBQ & cruise!)

7. MissPrint

MissPrint

And they have not one, not two, but THREE!!! The one that was being resto'ed was unreal -- did not realize (since I know little about them) that Auburns were braced with wood, and even had wood floorboards! :eek:

The Lycoming airplane engines are rad, too!:cool:

8. RAY With

RAY With

Now thats a good idea! It would make a hell of a cruise from my place and we always got an old crate gased and ready. We haven't been there either so give Tullis a call!!! LOL

9. seatex

seatex

Dammn good move, the bowl sucked > anyway! That woodie gave me a ........... well, you know. Sounds like a great place for a BBQ!!!!

10. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

My shop is about 3 minutes from this place and still haven't had a chance to stop in. Met one of the guys from there and he was a swell fella. I'll have to make a point to go check it out sometime.

11. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I worked for Dick Burdick back in high school when he bought his first Model a ford...great guy

12. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Lets do it sounds like fun

13. sololobo

sololobo

Thanx for showing these stellar cars. Wow, what a collection. Now thats a SUPER bowl party. Cool ~sololobo~

14. Dick's Classic Garage

Dick's Classic Garage

I just wanted to say it was great meeting both of you and thank you for the awesome post. I hope everyone can make it down. Just let me know and I will schedule a behind the scenes tour.

-Tom

15. McTullis

McTullis

Thanks Tom! We're planning a Meatheads cruise to Gruene at the end of the month (tentatively the 26th). We might have to swing in there on the way!

16. Dick's Classic Garage

Dick's Classic Garage

That sounds great, just shoot me an email to [email protected] and let me know the times and I will be there for a tour.

17. Javier

Javier
    1. Strugglers C.C.

Sounds like a great idea:D