Register now to get rid of these ads!

Big Thanks from The Kontinentals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El Jefe, Oct 19, 2009.

1. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

Hey everyone who came and played w/ us this weekend, a big thank you for making 2009 DOTD maybe the best one yet. The weather was perfect.......I mean perfect. The quality of cars and races were spectacular. The track was in the best shape I have seen it in years. I want thank Hutch and his great crew, Bobby, Willie, Vicki, the guys and gal in the tower and at the starting line for making things run so smoothly. Was just a stellar weekend. Thanks to all my fellow Kontinentals esp Beatnik for helping out wherever needed and be such great hosts. Saturday was just off the hook and for those of you that hung around or came back Sunday, it was a nice wind down to the weekend.
    I thought the assortment of cars not only racing but also just sitting around looking purdy was outstanding. Regarding the F-1 and the Pro-Mod that made a couple of passes, I know this was not part of what we do and subscribe to, but the F-1 was a personal friend of the track owner (his attorney) and Hutch did this as a favor to him. The Pro Mod Lumina belongs to Jimmy Nobles and he is super cool guy that was totally accomodating and didn't want to get in anyone's way. He does test and tune at the track all the time and again and I thought it would be cool for some of the spectators to see where this sport has evolved. Neither got in anyone's way and didn't hold anything up so I didn't have a problem w/ it. I spoke to a new acquaintance I made from Houston who was diving that bitchin hemi powered black '32 Sedan and he said he made 14 passes on Saturday so obviously the F-1 and Pro-Mod didn't get in the way. On Sunday there was so few cars out there running that we let others that did not have non qualifying cars come test and tune during the time trials before the eliminations started. Again it was a only a few cars and there was plenty of time for everyone to run and their tech money went into the pot for Sunday that they had no chance of winning. The winners appreciated that, I know.

Regarding some changes for next year, we pay alot of money for the track for Saturday and Sunday and for those of you who came out on Sunday, you saw how quiet it was comparatively speaking. It was over and done by 2pm. Very few new folks(not having wristbands from Saturday) came in on Sunday and it's just not making any sense to continue on Sunday compared to the expenses involved.........BUT what we did see was an big increase in the number of folks who were making it to the track early on Friday evening so we are leaning toward making this a Friday/Saturday event w/ test and and tune all Friday evening for w/ movie/band entertainment and then some time trials and racing all day Saturday and wind it up then. We will keep you posted as we sort thru it.

Once again thanks to everyone for making this such a successful event and highlights for me was getting to hand Joyce Burwell her 100 MPH patch......1st girl to ever earn one, the two grudge matches between the El Toro "666" and the Widdle White Wabbit(these two cars last did battle in the late 50's/early 60's) and lastly getting to see RC relax, hang out and do nothing. See you at the Round Up in 2010.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  2. Anderson

Anderson

Friday and Saturday sounds like a great idea! Thanks to you and the rest of the guys for putting on this get together.

3. geemann51

geemann51

So sorry to have missed it this year and next year already sounds good. Congrats to Joyce, that's way cool to hear.....

4. Wonderful event whatever you guys choose to do on the schedule I support and will do whatever I can th make the events.
    Thanks again for a great weekend, and kudos to whoever was incharge of the weather!
    Put them incharge for RoundUp 2010 ;)

5. wrenchrocket

wrenchrocket

Great event had a blast. You guys schedule it howerver we'll be there next year!

6. BLAKE

BLAKE

Thanks for pulling it all together each year, Steve! This is the only DOTD I've missed, but Joyce clearly had enough fun for us both!!!

7. Firedome

Firedome
    from Austin, TX
    1. THE YAY-HOOS

Thanks to all the Kontinentals for all the blood & sweat it takes to put on this incredible show!! What a great turnout of old cars, great folks and fun!I really do appeciate El Jefe taking the time to sign me up so I could run!Thank you!

Also a BIG Congrats to Flava J for topping the ton!!!!

8. ChevyRat

ChevyRat

Had a great time. Had some problems with the truck and didn't get my patch this year, but it was all worth it. The Friday and Saturday venue sounds great.

9. Flava J

Flava J
    from Austin, TX

Wow, I am honored to be the 1st girl to get a patch. I know I said this at least 3 times on other posts, but I had a blast. Can't wait til next year. :)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  10. Rusty

Rusty

Steve, thank you for another great event, We had a blast

Rusty

11. What a really cool event:cool: that y'all put on....THANKS....along with more of my comments on the "DOTD Awsome" post. I really appreciate the opportunity to play with hotrods!
    Skot

12. Thanks for a great event. We travel 7 hours to get there and really look forward to being there.We raced the orange #349 roadtser in the flay head class and had a blast. Again trhanks for a really good time. Gary And Phil
    P.S. Hello Skotz, was great to meet you and your group look forward toi running you some more.

13. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

A blast as always! Thanks ya'll!

14. 214Gearjammer

214Gearjammer
    from Dallas, TX

Way to go , Steve
    So happy everything fell in place for a perfect weekend. Crowd, weather, cars, vibes, etc.!!! You guys sure deserve it for all you do for our hobby/passion/lifestyle. Jill and I have got up on Sunday and rode down from Dallas on Sunday before and like you said it is dead after 2:00pm. I think Friday is fantastic. Shoot, I'll donate towards the lite bill!
    I think one of the coolest things you guys did at LSR was go to All day Friday. It has its' own special feel that you don't get on Saturday and I bet the same thing would happen at Academy. Just my 2 cents.
    Eddy in Dallas

15. This event is beyond cool for so many reasons. Can't wait for next year!

16. Angy

Angy

Thank you Steve and the Kontinentals. Amazing day. I couldn't be more proud of my Drag Racing Yay-hoos!!! Especially the cute blonde one!!!!

17. kisam

kisam

Steve,
    Thank you so much! It was a perfect weekend!

18. Thanks so very much for putting this on again. This is one of my favorite weekends of the year and I'll support and attend it as long as you do it, no matter what changes you decide to make.

19. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Thanks for all the hard work.. Friday night is not to be missed fore sure!!

20. blt4speedsince79

blt4speedsince79

had a great time. this was my 4th year and the best by far. lots of great people and cars. i plan my year around this!

21. 37FABRICATION

37FABRICATION

THANKS! This is the first year I've been to DOTD. I'm already looking forward to next year... My car sucked on Sat. (and so did the left lane). Ran 13.70@103 Sun. morning and if anyone caught my 1/8mi. long burnout on Sunday, I will pay for pics!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  22. Gary,
    You and Phil are great guys(Flathead Nuts:rolleyes: to all you late model engine guys)!!! We will be looking forward to meeting up with y'all again. We will be cooking lunch next year and ya "have" to come down and join up with us, you're family now! I had a blast this year:D.....and meeting up with you two was just another highlight.....and yea....I really want to try to take the 3w out to the salt for next years agenda(USFRA, so we can pass inspection).
    Skot

23. Double 'G'

Double 'G'
    from Houston

Great weekend Steve and Brian. Thanks for inviting us to the Drags for some fun. I ran that 392 powered black sedan hard and got a real thrill out of the deal. Our Saturday night cruze to Alice's karaoke spot was worth the drive, good times. Great weather, cold beer, lots of food, cold beer, good friends, finished off with a little more cold beer was the ticket. 13.20 @ 101.78 put me in the 100 mph club. Excellent. See you again at the next event. Gary Gould/Double 'G'

Attached Files:

24. IHbigblock

IHbigblock

Had lots of fun! this was the 1st time I had my truck on the track, I'll be ready for next year!

25. Cochino

Cochino

Big thanks to Kontinetals, look foward to the event evrey year, see ya'll at the LSRU!!!

26. LowMOJO

LowMOJO

Thanks guys for the great time, was a first for alot of us, going down the track, the trip from San Antonio and all the fun in between! We surely wont miss it again, once again many thanx.:D

27. 30roadster

30roadster

Thank you Kontinentals!!!! ... I get itchy every August waiting for this event...this year was awsome!

28. lowburban

lowburban

Big thanks to El Jefe and everyone involved in making this happen. Have been almost every time and always great. I am a little saddened to hear it might go to fri/sat because being a high school coach I will always have a game fri night and not be able to come till sat. This sucks because I brought my little hot rodders (10 and 7) for their first time and we camped and they have talked about it non stop since then and were very pumped to go next year. Burnouts and the flame throwing dodge truck were their favorites. I do understand though and will be there either way. Again AWESOME job.

29. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

I hate to here about Sunday that`s the only time I get a real race ?

I think having brackets on sat would thin it out on Saturday

and make Sunday more fun for the hard core heads up guys more like a small mokan ?
    without the tourist in the way.

30. BELLM

BELLM

Thanks Steve & the Kontinentals! You guys do a great job, make it look easy, but we all know how much work goes into this event!