Register now to get rid of these ads!

Big T, Bigger Dreams

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Deuces

Deuces
    from Michigan

Here's an original Big Deuce someone on here built a while back... I have one stashed away for a winter project....

Attached Files:

2. flamingokid

flamingokid

I bought a Hubley '32 kit and a metal MGTD kit recently.I can hardly wait until I can get to them.

3. Canada Jeff

Canada Jeff

My old man built one just before I showed up, and he still has it to this day. Its been on constant display in his home for 40+ years, and is the main reason I started building models as a kid, and started learning about cars.

A couple years ago I "restored" his Big T a little using a few new parts out of a reissue kit. He was pleased to see it back to like-new shape again after 4 house moves and 4 decades of dusting damage.

I plan to build a clone of his Big T for myself, and for my son to gaze at in wonder like I did.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Pulls at the heart strings.
    I have an original, unbuilt yellow Big Deuce. The 1/8th kits are iconic and just incredible works of model tooling and detail.
    I believe to original 1/1 Big T was given away in a contest, then disappeared. Starbird recently built a 1/1 replica.

5. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

Good Joey, real good.

6. Holy Crap!! That is amazing. Who doesn't want to build one right now!!
    Just recently cleaned out Mom's attic. Was two big boxes of old model cars, that I built as a kid. Most where broken and the dried up glue left them falling apart. Tossed them in trash can and picked them out twice.:confused: Finally said "Fuck-it". Did save a few.
    Guess most of us honed our automotive skills on plastic models.
    Cleveland had some bitchin' little hobby shops. Baron's Hobby Shop was in Euclid. Spent SO much of my paper rhoute money there.:eek: Wouldn't change a thing.:cool::)

JT

7. oldthudman

oldthudman

I had the big Monogram 1/8 (IIRC) scale Jaguar........Nice kit..........

8. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

I don't remember how young I was, but I remember my folks buying T bucket model as something to do together. I'm pretty sure they finished it, but I don't remember what happened to the model.
    My model building skills never became that elaborate, but gravitated towards airplanes and military ships.

It's interesting to consider how widespread in popularity those large scale models were.

9. Pharouh

Pharouh

Great story! Brings back a lot of memories of the corner hobby shop. Sadly those days are gone.
    I got a Big Drag for Christmas 1963. Kept it for several years,modified it,and I guess it finally got throw away. What was I thinking?
    But now,thanks to E**y,I have an original Big T,a Big Drag clone,and the original blue 65 Vette. Love 'em.

10. Deuces

Deuces
    from Michigan

I think we're getting 2 weeks off for the holidays this year... That should give me enough time to throw something together...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  11. Deuces

Deuces
    from Michigan

12. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

I think my first interest in models came when I was snooping in my dads closet and I found his old unbuilt models. I was so damn excited. That was seriously the jackpot of what a 7 year old kid could find while snooping around where he shouldn't be. The Big T joey pictured was the first one I ever got my hands on. Walmart never had them in the 90's. haha. Even if they did I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to afford it.

13. Deuces

Deuces
    from Michigan

Anyone pick up on the new 1/8 Lindberg Tall T kit yet??? That one can be chopped and kitbashed with some engine parts from the Exterminator Dragster kit...

14. Kep

Kep
    from Texas

Some things get tucked away in our minds and the reaction is always the same when a friend pulls the cover off over in the corner: "Wow, I forgot about that."
    Folks were split for awhile and I rode from Ca. to Kansas with mom and was left with an aunt. She let me use almost all my spending to buy the kit and paint. Paint was sort of Brandy Wine and changed white top and all to black. I remember there were no mistakes in the build and paint, a first for me. I sat and looked and dreamed of how I was going to make something real someday so I could go far away. Aunt made me bring it up from basement and her friends would say it was so beautiful and I would beam and forget the separation scare. It was a sparkling diamond in a field of crap in my little world. Never built a "T" but I put an old 5 window Deuce back on the ground till the war. Thanks for the memory!!!

Kep

15. slight ot but the wheels and tires do fit on barbies 57 chev..

found the big assembled 32 for a few bucks at a garage sale a
    couple months ago. including a tote box this make my 3rd of these found ...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  16. Deuces

Deuces
    from Michigan

I have a couple of the Monogram 1/12 '57 Sport Coupe kits... One of those is molded in white styrene..

17. Great story! That brings me back to buying models as a kid at Silverman's, Kmart or the rarely visited hobby shop. I never had the scratch for one of those big ass models though....

18. slowmotion

slowmotion

Got one for Christmas '62, I think. Older neighbor kid helped me build it. I thought that skull shift knob was the coolest thing. I don't remember what ever happened to it, think I might have traded it for a bike with ape-hangers.

19. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Building car models before 16 was a forrunner of my interest in cars. Still have the interest at age 62. Working on my 3rd 32 Ford.

Ago

20. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

I almost bought a Big Deuce last year for a good price, but gave up. I have two (soon three) 1:18 GMP/ACME '32 Ford diecast kits, and the 1:8 stuff is just so freakin' big. And expensive, once you start buying all the hop up stuff....

If they reissue again, maybe someday.

21. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I just thought about it, I have an unbuilt late seventies version of the Big Deuce sitting in my closet... Too bad I don't have time for that either.

22. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

And That, was my 9000 post!

23. Deuces

Deuces
    from Michigan

Is that one molded in black plastic???..

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yup! I painted the frame a sort of sunny yellow back in '81 or so. but otherwise it's completely untouched.

25. I built 1/24 scale from age ten, and only got into 1/8th around ten years ago. This is my 4th big T, and latest build.

Attached Files: