Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical big question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hot rust, Nov 9, 2013.

1. hot rust

hot rust

i have a complete 40 ford rear that has 354 gears in it, i want to use this gear in my car, i have a set of 36 axle tubes i would like to use instead of welding and cutting on the 40 tubes in order to use 36 bones and i also have a 46 truck open drive set up. does anyone have the specifics on what will work, what won't and are they all interchangable? searched the forum with no luck. thanks in advance hot rust

2. visor

visor
    Member Emeritus
    from Missouri

Smaller answer.
    Yes you can use the '40 center if you change the carrier bearings to the smaller
    '35/36 bearings. Then you can use the '36 axles and bells. The tough part is
    finding new '35/36 bearings and races, but there out there.

3. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Hot Rust
    I'm not sure about the 46 open drive center section. Can't remember if that takes a special pinion shaft and gear

4. hot rust

hot rust

thanks guys for the answers, i think the only differnce in the open drive is i think the earlier rears, up to what year i'm not sure but the have a different spline count than the later ones. educate me if i'm wrong, so now i'm on the lookout for 35-6 carrier bearings.