Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Big Olds Big Cross Country Adventure 2009

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodladycrusr, Aug 6, 2009.

1. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Someone who is building his rental property portfolio, thats who ;):D

Chaz is one of thee smartest, most talent artists I have ever met in my life. I would bet money on his IQ boarders on genius, no shit.

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

The pleasure was all mine sweetie. Tell Jesse he's got the first ride as soon as he, or I, get there.;)

3. Deadbird

Deadbird

I'll let Jesse know. He'll be looking for you.

My friend actually offered his 36' gooseneck trailer if I needed it. It's a little much to pull, but hey you never know. :rolleyes:

4. Graham08

Graham08

Yours and mine both! In the shop, in the car, at the office, wherever...

Thanks for sharing your adventures with Big Olds! They're some of my favorite threads on the HAMB.

5. duffman

duffman

For such a wealthy community, I have never found a great meal that wasn't way over priced, ditto on places to stay.

TUCKERBOY likes this.
  6. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

As I was leaving town southbound I saw a Bubba's BBQ. Bummer I didn't see it the night before. I will be eating there next time I'm traveling thru.....you know how I love my BBQ and Bubba's is pretty good for a chain. :cool:

7. duffman

duffman

Next year you can come throught the East enterance of the park, find your heard of buffalo and I'll join you for BBQ @Bubbas...then down to the Salt.

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

It has been way too many years since i have been back out west..
    one of these days I have to take my wife and daughter..
    great coverage of your travels , Thank you, a lot for bringing back the memories, and the insperation

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Tuesday August 18th
    Jackson, WY to Gunnison, CO

It was kinda chilly when I woke up so I dressed in Levis. I also left the top up and arranged the boot so it kinda blocked the air seeping in fron the sides.
    [​IMG]

I stopped for fuel and ice then over to Micky D's for an Egg, cheese and bacon McGriddle. I had just driven around the building and then stopped at the sidewalk to let this couple pass by and low and behold it was Evil Clown and his lovely wife! Holy smokes! They were in the area riding ATV's. It was nice visiting with them for awhile. We parted ways knowing we'd be seeing each other in a few days at the HAMB Drags.
    [​IMG]

I headed south on 191, a two laner that I had never traveled on before
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A person just can't capture the beauty with a snapshot
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was virtaully no traffic what so ever
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  10. evil clown

evil clown
    from Verona, WI

Denise,

It was quite a surprise running into you in Jackson Hole! We had a great time there riding ATVs and white water rafting, but it was killing me being that close to Bonneville and not being able to sneak over there for a few days.

Sorry we didn't get much of a chance to visit in Joplin, catch ya next time! :D

11. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

That one think I must do before i die, see this great country of ours.
    Thanks Denise, hope to see you on the open road some day soon.

12. evol55

evol55

What a great trip. It looks like you had a heck of a time covering our great country.

13. chromedaddyo

chromedaddyo
    from Ohio

There is NOTHING in the world that "centers" the soul like a long solo drive in an old car. (I am long overdue!!) Great reading of your travels. Glad you are home safe.

Dave

14. I was just kidding.....I was just being sarcastic and giving it that typical 'car-guy-whine' of "I-want- a-bigger-garage-and-a-smaller-house" routine. ;o) ;o)

No, I agree, he must be a smart cookie! And it looks like a great job of converting!

JG

15. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

191 has moved into one of my new favorite two laners to cruz on....simply spectular.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Traveling down it you go from Wyoming to just a bit of Utah
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Basicly a day of just scenery or scenery with Big Olds in the photos :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

[​IMG]

This little town had HUGE amounts of flowers everywhere
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Leaving Utah.....
    [​IMG]

...entering ColoRODo
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I arrived at FiveWindowJohnnie's place in Gunnison after dark. Johnnie's other pal from Michigan, Trudy, had flown in early this evening. She came to town for the car show/party that Johnnie is having over the weekend. Dinner was just about ready when I got there so we had a extremly yummy meal then Johnnie got out some "party favors" for his upcoming event.

Ok, so here is where I'll mention to you guys to have any young children that might be reading or looking at the photos over your shoulders to go grab you something to drink or whatever. I just want to give you an opportunity to pre-screen the next few photos to see if they are viewable by your kids before they just pop up.:D

17. Denise,

Great thread, good job on the pictures.

Phil and I went up to Idaho from Wells as well. Ran the Salmon River downhill all the way to Montana.

Charlie

18. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

So, during dinner Johnnie tells us about a pinata that he got for the party and the special adult things he got to go inside. So of course after dinner he shows us.
    [​IMG]

Who would have known Coop has has his very own line of condoms :D
    [​IMG]

Robert Williams does too
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, after pawing thru everything, and being given some souvenirs of my stay,:D Johnnie and I headed out to the attached garage to see his new baby.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Afterwards I played on the HAMB for bit then headed up to bed. I found mints on my pillow.............
    [​IMG]

...but since I knew Axle was sleeping in my bed the next night I left him something else;)
    [​IMG]

19. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

In the morning I took alittle self guided tour thru his place. Tons of framed posters and artwork.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is where Big Olds spent the night
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

He had alot of company
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

John and Trudy
    [​IMG]

The house with attached garage
    [​IMG]

Me, Johnnie and his lovely wife Laura.
    Thanks so much for the warm hospitality. It was a fun evening and I so wish I could have stayed for the car show and party. Next time for sure.
    [​IMG]

20. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Of course you saw a bear, I wasn't with you!

21. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

"So much for the Cowboy Bar. It HAD to be better than the 6 gnocchi italian place we went to last time! "

I don't know about better but it sure was cheaper.:D

22. 6 gnocchis?!?!??
    That's not even enough for an appetiser! My Italian Grandmother would beat someone senseless for that.

Denise...you are living The Dream , thanks for letting us ride along.
    B.

23. PoPo

PoPo

Denise you drive right by my place on this trip. If you ever wanna tour of the great Quad Cities you let me know. I might even be able to give you a guided tour by flashing lights and sirens (if I'm working).

Shoot me a PM if you wanna stop we can exchange #s and I'll take ya to the Machine Shed (if you dont know then you will after you leave- Breakfast is the best <cinnamon rolls the size of your head> ask Povertyflats!)

This was an awesome thread and I can't wait for the day that I can see the salt! Thanks for this

24. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Gunnison, CO to Trinidad, CO

So I bid Johnnie, Laura and trudy farewell and headed west back to Montrose to then continue south on 550 the "Million Dollar Highway" to Durango.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think the next two photos are Ouray
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The stretch from Ouray to Durango has got to be one of the most beautiful drives in the country. I can't encourge a person enough to do this in their hot rod, esepcially topless. The 180 degree vistas are just breathtaking. Even if you have to rent a convertible, just do it. At some point in your life just do it. These photos don't even come close to the magnitude of the beauity of the area.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is Silverton, where the train north from Durago ends up. We took the train ride both ways in 2007, another adventure worth doing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

[​IMG]
    is that the phone number to the junkyard? i need parts form that 50 pontiac!!!!

26. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At places they had these large walls to try to keep rock slides off the road
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I called it a night when I got to Trinidad, Co...."the sex change capital of the world" I was told. Had a cheap Chinese diner delievered and surfed the HAMB.

27. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Looks like its a phone number to a tree service :rolleyes:;)

28. Truckedup

Truckedup

Lots to see here.............just wondering,what's powering the Big Olds and are you checking fuel mileage?

29. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

FYI -- The "Million Dollar Highway"...

There are a variety of explanations regarding the source of the name for the "Million Dollar Highway." One version claims it is based on the value of the ore-bearing fill that was used to construct the road, and another says it refers to the high cost of building a road over Red Mountain Pass (11,008 feet) and the Uncompahgre Gorge.

One thing no one will dispute is the million dollar views around every turn. This marvel of engineering, designed by Russian immigrant Otto Mears, slices through rugged mountains as it follows old stagecoach routes and former pack trails. A journey that took weeks in pre-car days is now less than a two-hour journey if the road is dry and the driver is able to resist stopping to enjoy the awesome views.

Just more of ColoRODo's great scenery you can partake of...in an old car...

R-

30. What a beautiful country we live in. Thanks Denise.