Register now to get rid of these ads!

BIG old bandsaw - need a little info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Nov 30, 2012.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay! Cool! What's your preferred annealing process for these blades?

2. nobuckets

nobuckets
    from austin, tx

I picked one up out of a guys backyard last year. It wasn't a whole lot different than an engine - brought my hoist on a trailer with a couple sheets of plywood. Ran a chain or strap through a hole under the table on the cast iron frame. Lifted it carefully with one guy stabilizing it and backed the trailer under it. Rolled it across the trailer to the center on some round bar stock. Mine was way to incomplete to restore, so it will end up as a louver press or the like.

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whoa! I just found a PDF of the catalog pages for that line of products, through that website.

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/36/691.pdf

The band saws start on page 187. If this truly is the 27" model by this company, it weighs 940 pounds!! AAAAAAA!!!! :eek::eek:

Good tip! My thinking as well, unless they have a front end loader on the property.

4. I've already popped my back on that last Hemi....I'm not TOUCHING this thing without a lift! :D

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly! And you BETTER not have popped your back on that Hemi! :eek::eek:

6. Naaah! I'm good! I haven't had any lingerings from the "event". I was back to my "old" self a couple days later!

7. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

Here's how I brought mine home.

You can load it in a number of ways....the best in many cases is to hire a tow truck with an extendable boom. He lifts it up, you back under it with the trailer.

Attached Files:

8. -Brent-

-Brent-

ScooterMcRad's Lumber yard??? Are you planning on using it much? It's going to take up some valuable shop real estate.

9. gas pumper

gas pumper

aneal by heating to orange. Not hot enough to throw sparklers. aneal after grinding the weld to the right thickness.

Then you do the twist thing to roll the blade up, if it breaks than you didn't aneal it right.

I weld my own blades because i got a big stock of rolls on a surplus deal. But If I didn't , I would buy them already made. The cost of ready mades is comparable to buying the rolls of stock. I think www.sawblade.com is good. you can buy one at a time and try different ones and only commit to one at a time instead of 100 feet.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay! Good tip!

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The saw was used for metal cutting for an old hot rod shop. The guy used it until... well... Nothing is being used anymore, unfortunately. Hope I can save it and put it back to use the same way it WAS being used.

I think a low profile, and wide stance dolly will be in order, until I build the new garage/shop and I can place it a little more permanently. I think I can JUST get it under my garage door height, so I could roll it outside when not in use.

12. plan9

plan9

Our bandsaws could be from the same company.. about the only thing they have in common is its function, theyre both old and heavy as shit. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Scooter, get it cleaned up and speed up that blade, who know's, you could make a ship.

Click and see the Tilt Band Saw (@ 3 minute mark) that came from San Pedro Ca. Ship Yard. The Saw was built back in 1921.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbl46JUUDxE

If you make it back down before the San Salvador is done, (16 months more work) go down and check it out. It's something to really see.

14. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

I had mine on a dolly. For moving it around it was fine but for cutting....it was much more shaky than when it was sitting on the concrete floor.

15. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, I was thinking something with leveling feet. Crank 'em up and out of the way when it needs to get moved, then lower them back down to secure it for cutting. It will need a new motor and gear box mount as well. Whole thing appeared to be mounted to a board of some kind. I'll make something neat-o that will get it up and out of the way in a more convenient spot with a cool shut-off switch of some kind.

16. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

Like on the ladders at Costco, but much beefier would probably work.

Bitchin saw by the way.

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep! Kinda like that. I'll probably just do something with hand cranks and some heavy swivel caster, though. The quick drop leveling feet for this weight capacity get pretty pricey and are probably overkill.

18. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

I got this one a while back, 26" wheels mfg. tag says Silver Mfg. Co. however you can see on the casting where the name Cresent was ground off. From what I found Cresent cast these for several diffrent companies. The diffrent sizes had diffrent bases the smaller ones had the solid bases and the larger 30" - 36" had the open base I would imangine they changed design some over the years also. If I remember corectly I read somewhere that they were produced from around 1890 to 1920. I plan to set mine up with 2 speeds for metal & wood. These old saws dont have any good mounting spots for a motor as they were built to run a flat belt, probably why the one your looking at is mounted on a seperate base. This one weighs about 650lb. but it will just fit under my garage door. It will be mounted on some rollers just got to figure it all out so its not too getto. And for what its worth i paid $225 for this one. good luck JJ
    [/ATTACH]
    [/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

19. -Brent-

-Brent-

I feel so inadequate, now. :(:D

[​IMG]

With the pedestal it weighs in around a hundred pounds. :D

Attached Files:

20. 73RR

73RR

Scott, thanks for starting this thread. These old beauties are worth preserving in some fashion.

Apparently this techno-tard did something in error as I only see 37 pages after the 9.1 mb download. Any thoughts?

21. rouye56wingnut

rouye56wingnut
    from mn.

Cass Nawrocki (one of the greatest metal shaper on the planet) has one that he converted in late 70s to an Engish Wheel and has done more multi dollared vehicles than you could imagine .He also has a saw that he has a VFD on and uses it as his primary means of cutting . Both of these are featured in his book Any Imposibilities In Metalshaping . I have a 36" throat saw and and if it werent for the Ewheel I have way too much time in ,I would have used it . Besides I have a DoAll 30" and it works ammasing .

22. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like I will not be picking up the saw this weekend. The owner of the estate has promised it to someone in the family. :(:( Hopefully whoever it is that is getting it will restore and use it and not turn it into the scrapper for some quick bucks. Hopefully if that is the plan, they can be persuaded to part with it.

So, now that I have the BUG, I'm on the search for another one to restore. So if anyone in the NC or SC area knows of one, please let me know.

23. sinticket

sinticket

UGH that sucks so bad.. sorry to hear that!

24. Sucks that you can't get it. As for big old bandsaws, they are actually pretty easy to come up with, most hobbiest arn collectors can't handle a 36" saw because they are too big/tall and heavy for them to deal with. Most 36" are over 8 ft tall.
    Your location should result in quite a few laying around unless they have all left due to auctions after the factories closed.

If you prefer and old saw, some other brands to search are Moak, Hall & Brown, Fay & Egan or JA Fay & Egan, American Saw Mill, Yates American and Tannewitz.

If you get the bug, you will need to join up over at owwm.org, careful though it is a slippery slope.

25. 73RR

73RR

Scott, you might go back and hand a small tag on the saw and express an interest if/when the new owner gets tired of it.

26. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My buddy is going up there this weekend for other reasons and is going to talk with her about it. Could probably pass my info along, as well.

I'm sure another will turn up. Maybe even closer to home. Everything happens for a reason...

27. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh geesh! :eek: Looks like some good stuff going on over there... Sigh. Several discussions on my lathe and mill alone. :cool:

28. what lathe and mill? i am very glad they added the metalworking section, it was wood only for a long time.
    I just brought my biggest machine home 3 weeks ago, a '27 American Tool Works 24x144 metal lathe. weighs in at app 12,000 lbs. Good to have friends with crane access.

29. what lathe and mill? i am very glad they added the metalworking section, it was wood only for a long time.
    I just brought my biggest machine home 3 weeks ago, a '27 American Tool Works 24x144 metal lathe. weighs in at app 12,000 lbs. Good to have friends with crane access.

30. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1958 J1 Bridgeport with 42" table from a coin mint and a 1949 POWR-KRAFT 10"x? metal lathe I believe from a machine shop in Burbank that made aircraft parts for the war (I'm guessing on that one). So yeah, I have the bug for old tools. I don't know if it's the idea of adding on to the history of tools or if it's simply how much more aesthetically pleasing old tools are.

One thing's for sure. I seem to really like REEEALLY heavy stuff, for some reason. HAHA!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]