Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Big guys don't fit in early trucks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by keysrat, Dec 3, 2014.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have a 37 Chevy p/u and the cab is small,I am trying to loose some weight so I can fit in it a little better.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. At 5'9 190lbs I shouldn't have much of a problem, but arthritis has me needing big doors so I can get in and out. I'm building a cab-over with a sleeper so I will have plenty room, but I'm a little worried about the climb to get in and out. Pretty much given up on ever driving my MGA!

3. I'm 6'2", got a '29 AA and yeah, its kneecaps in nostrils time. I'm fabricating a tilt joint on the Mustang box/straight column so that I can put the steering wheel at the right angle to get some leverage since it is a big truck and lacks power steering. Also, using an AOD instead of a manual shift.. Hardly enough room for a clutch pedal once the bigger engine and trans are in place. Plenty of headroom in a "phonebooth AA," but legroom doesn't get it.

4. I'm 6'2", got a '29 AA and yeah, its kneecaps in nostrils time. I'm fabricating a tilt joint on the Mustang box/straight column so that I can put the steering wheel at the right angle to get some leverage since it is a big truck and lacks power steering. Also, using an AOD instead of a manual shift.. Hardly enough room for a clutch pedal once the bigger engine and trans are in place. Plenty of headroom in a "phonebooth AA," but legroom doesn't get it.

5. I'm 6' 5" 260. Henrietta the '38 Ford pickup has enough room but wouldn't want it any tighter. Friend in Baltimore when I lived there had a '32 Ford pickup with a 302 Ford and firewall recessed to clear the engine. I couldn't drive it--I know, because I tried to get in the driver's seat and couldn't get the door to close with me in it. Headroom is not a problem because these trucks were designed back when most men wore hats. I had a great-grandfather who was 6' 8" and wore size 16 shoes--I can imagine the difficulty he had getting in stock Model Ts and As.

6. sunbeam

sunbeam

Speedway still offers there clubcab 34 body.

7. Im 6'6 320 and have been doing upholstery for quite some time. A customized seat will make a huge difference. Most old truck seat backs are padded more than is needed. If you remove the springs and replace them with a piece of 1" foam you can gain 2" or more.

Metaltwister likes this.
  8. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

I've had a couple 34-36 Internationals. The cab is 6" longer than a Ford

9. Something that I have discovered about getting in and out is that for me at least a ride with suicide doors is easier then one with conventional doors.

Around the end of the twentieth century a lot of cars got suicide doors for the novelty of it. But I can see them serving a purpose for someone like those of us who face physical challenges.

10. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

I loved my Model A pickup but grew weary of having to "walk" into it sideways, turn forward and sit down. Plus anything longer than a hour drive I would get leg cramps. Love my new '40 now, like a barcalounger!

11. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

6' 3" 200. Plenty of room with a different jump seat flat against the back wall of the cab and a different steering column that I adjusted to my proportions.
    Wouldn't drive it on a cross state road trip but two hours is tolerable for these old bones.

12. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

My '36 Dodge pickup is very small inside. I'm 6'1". With a passenger, we are always shoulder to shoulder. The doors are short, hard to get my feet in. The original seat back is almost straight up, no room for an angle. And it rides like an old truck! Three hours is max in here, takes a while to straighten out my back. But I have to stop and feed the hemi every hour, that gives me a little break to stretch.

But I love this old truck, and drive it every chance I get! The cool factor far outweighs the discomfort!

13. I agree, I'm 6'6" 260 lbs. I've had a few '40/'41 Ford p/u's, stock seat is a bit tight, but an S10 type seat, with moderate use of padding, works well enough.

14. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I looked at a '47 GMC Flatbed hot rod that was just awesome. Had a thin S10 seat in it. I'm 6'0", 200 lbs. It was just not going to be comfortable. There was no room to move the seat back and the seat back was already as thin as it could get. Had cash in hand but had to walk away. No way to be comfortable on even a short distance....

15. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a friend who has a beautiful custom 40 Chevy Pickup. It s chopped 2 1/2" . The seat is lowered and very thin on the back. He is about 6ft 1 inch and about 210. He has not driven it much in the last few years as it is way too cramped for him--OK on short drives. Last time he drove it to HAN it took him quite a while to recoup.

16. I stood clear of 32's Deuce Coups for years...I am 6' 350. I traded a 36 Ford Cabriolet for this 32..it had buckets and I could not even drive it into the garage....had a upholstery guy Ron Mangus fit a new seat, went back several times while he fabricated the bench and tried different seat angles...my wife is 5' 9...when he was done I could drive the car anywhere in comfort.... 838B.jpg

17. Hot Rod Cowboy

Hot Rod Cowboy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6'3" 275lbs and I am quite comfortable in my '53 f100 with the stock bench seat, column, wheel, and under floor pedals.

keysrat likes this.
  18. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

19. Biggest reason I sold the A pickup I had was even at 5'10" it was uncomfortable. The answer is to build a coupe, sedan, or what I will likely end up doing is turning a 4-door body into an extended cab pickup.

20. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

21. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I feel for you, but my suggestion is to just give up on pick ups...
    I have wanted one for years, but also on the large size (6'5" and ~350#) I just accept the fact that it ain't gonna happen.
    I set the seat in my '63 Biscayne back an additional 4" and am totally comfortable...
    Good luck, and just saying it the way it is for us Ol' Bouncers.... :)

keysrat likes this.
  22. Paul B

Paul B

Wow lot of big guys here on the Hamb

keysrat likes this.