Register now to get rid of these ads!

Big Ford truck brake question???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Evil Wicked Mean & Nasty, Mar 1, 2006.

1. I have a quick question for you old Ford truck guy's. Today I found what appears to be a '53 or '54 F600 truck. My question is do these giant beasts have the 12" brakes on them the same as the F250's? Instinct tells me that a truck that big should have much bigger brakes than a 250 would but I would have to take it apart to know. All I could manage was a peek under the front end because of the briers around it so I couldn't really see the backing plate well enough to get a clear idea of it's size. I would be putting them on a set of '48 Merc. spindles. I hate to spend a whole day hacking my way in and jacking it up and yanking off a wheel and hub just to find parts I can't use. I have searched and searched and can't find the answer to this so if someone knows please let me know. If the backing plates are good for a brake swap are there any other parts on the front axle that may be useful? For example, could the spindles be adapted to fit a early car axle etc??? Any advice is very much appreciated.
    Evil

2. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Yep--Squeak Bell At the Kiwi Konnection has done these quite a bit.Call him at (661) 871-KIWI....

3. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

They will fit, even rears

4. nero

nero

yes it will have big brakes..15"rear is common,larger cylinders..hydrovac booster. school bus had the same.

5. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Stay away from these brakes. They are big, 15" diameter, they are hard to adjust, and near impossible to get parts for. They were made by Eaton.

6. Thanks for the responses guy's. 15" seems more logical for a truck that size. It's a shame too because there are at least 2 maybe 3 in the yard. All have a Y-block still in them. If they were 12" thay'd be destined for a set of Buick drums at the front of my roadster. Oh well, I might go pull one just for kicks anyway. The junk yard guy has a loader, he can drag it out of the briers for me and lift it.

7. 39 Ford

39 Ford

If they still have the "Y" block you may want to check the exhaust manifolds if they look somewhat like a chev rams horn they are in demand.

8. Thanks for the pointer 39 Ford. I'll check it out. I'm clueless on the Y-block. Are there any other parts on these trucks that might be worth pulling off before they become rebar? I could probably get the engines and transmissions for a reasonable price if it would be worth my time to pull them. There are a couple of old GMC bread trucks in there too that I would love to yank the big Jimmies out of. I only need to figure out how to get 4 extra hours in a day, (and a lot more disposible income).
    Evil

9. BAMAGUY

BAMAGUY

Anyone know if these F600 trucks are still available and where they are/were??
    I need a passenger side running board from one......Maybe other items.....

Thanks.....