Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Big daddy's 1960 El Camino

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Nov 18, 2020.

1. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

2. I read where it's talking about the .015 clearance, and immediate response on the discharge nozzle. Also read about the plenum volume issue with a single plane intake and a 1" spacer. I've have way more plenum volume than what they're talking about! Even the Holley rep told me that I have to overcome a signal issue running the single 4 tunnel ram. Here's a couple of pictures I took of the 600 to show what I was getting at. I put preload into the spring, to keep from wasting motion being absorbed by the spring, then bent the tang on the follow back down to meet the cam. But I used the feeler gauge at rest, not wide open throttle :rolleyes: I'll dig into it more. Much more of this and the tunnel ram will come off. Car ran so much better with the Edelbrock carb. Thinking about switching back to try again. 20220924_200012.jpg 20220924_200028.jpg

chryslerfan55 and enloe like this.
  3. I actually cheated and ran the hose from one to the other :D for all I know that might be causing a problem o_O

sidewayzz69 likes this.
  4. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I have never seen that method of pump adjustment. I wouldn't recommend bending the arm... Use the .015 feeler gauge at wide open throttle , this is to make sure you aren't smashing the diaphram. I would put a 50cc pump and arm on it + a big squirter. Just my 2 cents, Also play with pump cams.

5. I'll fuck with it some tmrw if I get time.

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The .015 gap is checked at W.O.T. from the pump bottoming out. Only bent the arm or adjust the cam to have constant contact with pump lever.

7. sidewayzz69

sidewayzz69

you gonna bring your el camino.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

The main thing is you are building a car ! the more time you spend on the carb ( whatever brand ) the better you will know it. I would think the tunnel ram will be a challenge until you get it sorted out. I am still tuning on this Studebaker and I went from a four hole 1 in. spacer to a open 2 in. spacer on a dual plane and it turned it into a hard to start , less responsive pig. So I went back to the way I had it.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  9. No sir I'm just gonna drive my pickup down Saturday morning and leave Saturday evening. I'm gonna drive the car to the gasser race here in Owingsville, October 8th, then I'm gonna pull the motor and trans out and swap it into Ashley's truck. I promised her we'll take her truck to Bowling Green next year, so I've gotta get a running start on it lol

10. sidewayzz69

sidewayzz69

cool. i will probably see ya Saturday.

11. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been my experience:
    Edelbrock/AFB for cruising, and on the "street".
    Holley for tuning, and on the "track".
    It's hard enough to get a tunnel ram to work well on the street...let alone topping it off with a carb that's not fond of the "street" either.:(

12. I posted in the want ads, but I wanna stick an edelbrock performer rpm on this thing and see what happens. If anybody has one at a decent price, yell at me.

13. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Aw shit, just sold a new Edelbrock 1406 (new in the box) in the classifieds a few days ago:( Would'a just gave it to ya.
    NEW in box EDELBROCK 1460 CARB | The H.A.M.B. (jalopyjournal.com)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
  14. Trust me you don't want that whole 10%.........$3.15 ?!?!?!?! crap is still over $5.30 here......and that's the cheap stuff :mad:

15. Budget36

Budget36

Intake, right? I have to dig to see if I have my performer, not the RPM one though if it’s still here.

16. Yeah intake. I want a 7101 square bore style. I just sold a performer intake here recently that was on the engine originally. I want the rpm

17. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

Good choice. I got mine on Marketplace for $45. Only about 50 miles away. Works good on my 327.

Gary

18. Laying around sick, i just watched the new engine masters where they dyno test the single 4bbl tunnel ram vs a dual 4bbl, and they throw in the numbers from a performer rpm, and a couple of others. Wouldn't you know it, they use the Weiand tunnel ram that i have on my car. After watching this, not only am I ashamed, but I have an intake for sale :D:rolleyes:

swade41, chryslerfan55, enloe and 3 others like this.
  19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

20. That's what they said too :rolleyes:

mad mikey likes this.
  21. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree!!! It LOOKS menacing:cool:. Form over function.
    And, unless you're trying to skim an 1/8 second off your track times, what difference does it make?

22. I watch all the episodes of Engine Masters. Good information and testing. Steve is a sharp, knowledgeable guy with many many years of experience.

23. Many years ago I bought a '40 Ford coupe with a 327 and a single 4 barrel tunnel ram. Looked cool but ran like crap. Took it off and it was a whole new car. Never owned one since.

24. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Heck, I thought everyone knew. Small displacement engine, long duration camshafts, street (tall) gears and tunnel ram manifolds all together on the same car make for a car with not much low end power. Which is what you really need on a street car. Not to mention the fact that since tunnel rams came out in 1968, they are technically off topic.....

25. There's a Man-a Fre intake and carbs in the classifieds. That would be trad on your big block!

26. This guy ain't buying or building much at the moment, besides a house. Messing around with the wife's truck some.

27. remember where you are my brother.............

28. Amazing how much better it is when I stick Lumpy's intake on it :D felt like running into an old friend. Guess I'll fix a couple of other things on it and take this one to Bowling Green this year. Thanks Lump, you're awesome :cool: 20230302_180754.jpg

29. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Anytime Lloyd:cool: Post plenty of Bowling green pics!

scotty t, enloe, mad mikey and 5 others like this.
  30. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's nice to see you workin' on car's again! I thought you were turning into a Custom Home Builder for a minute! LOL!!! :p

Tickety Boo, scotty t, enloe and 4 others like this.