Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Big daddy's 1960 El Camino

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Somedays ya just gotta stop what you're doing and pull a couple of lines.. and then there's those days that your shaky ass just needs to put the brushes back in the box and go back to sanding lmao! I really need to spend more time striping, like i used to :rolleyes: 20201119_140435.jpg

2. Honestly I'll probably do ladder bars and coils, that's been my "go to" on a bunch of old cars

61Cruiser, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Put that Edelbrock single tunnel ram I sold you on there:D. Somewhere around here I have the gauge housings and grill emblem for a ‘59/‘60 and window regulators for your series truck cab. I could make up a care package for you , if you want.:)

chryslerfan55, The37Kid and loudbang like this.
  4. I'd love to!! But i bought that for her engine :( we'll see what I need in a couple of weeks :D

loudbang likes this.
  5. 1ton

1ton

Damn dude, you shoulda said somethin earlier. We would have got you one for your anniversary. Too late now.

6. bchctybob

bchctybob

So many cars, so little time.... I was looking at a nice '60 El Camino on CL a while back, almost pulled the trigger but then I noticed the tell-tale bubbles in the paint on the bottom of the fenders and rockers. Way too much hidden drama for the price. I've always wanted one. Glad you found yourself one. Did you get most of the parts? Like side trim, window trim, glass?

7. The trim has been picked over pretty good, and the glass is no problem, i already called my warehouse about the windshield. I'll have a couple of years to find the trim I'll need. Mainly the bed chrome

61Cruiser, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. Sending you a PM

9. Congrats on finally getting your dream car! Can't wait to see the progress!
    Tom

10. Spent a whole week one night on the side of the road replacing the fuel pump on a 60 Elco by the light of a Zippo. Three in the morning, 20 below zero, with snow blowing up my ass, 100 miles from nowhere,110 miles from nowhere else in the middle buffalo fuck North Dakota. The bed was loaded with enough firepower to get me seriously detained. At that moment that 60 wasn't one of my favorites, lol. But looking back, it must have had a few redeeming qualities, I did put over 65,000 on it that year. Good luck with yours, and check your fuel pump...

61Cruiser, Tman, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  11. Oh I bet that sucked! I hate cold weather

12. The rear suspension on the 59 and 60 El Caminos is a 3 link style, 2 lower and 1 upper arm. If my memory is right....been approx 10 years since my last one was sold.

I know from my 59 and 60 that it's easy to cut springs to lower the rear. Can also cut front springs. El Caminos used wagon frames to be a little stronger, from my memory.

Here's my 2 El Caminos, the 60 is just cut springs, the 59 had dropped spindles and less cut springs on the front. Elky2.jpg LFSale.jpg

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    enloe, 61Cruiser, Elcohaulic and 11 others like this.
  13. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dammit Man!!! Don't you have enough shit to keep you busy for the next 150 years or so? You had to go and drag another one home!?!?! LOL!!! :confused::D:cool: Can't wait to see how big of a can of Whoop Ass you open on this one!!! ;)

14. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Okay, so we are shit canning the 57 sedan delivery and moving on to a 60 gasser inspired { the politically correct way to suggest a straight axel build} El Camino. No problem the triple shade candy blue panel layout over metal flake, with road map lines over lace is still the ultimate paint job! lol Larry

15. I love that 60, i like the hood better. The 59 hood reminds me of the Apache :D

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. Oh the wagon ain't done yet! Can't write it off lol, just call it "writers block" on where i wanna go with it. Just need more time to work on my own shit ya know? Feast or famine around here! Been a great summer for the shop, but that means no time to spend the money! Which reminds me of a joke, what does a prostitute do on her day off?? Spend her fucking money!

17. This one is gonna take some time, but I'm ok with that ;) maybe you can drag your ass down from the big city and give a redneck a hand? :p

18. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Congrats , contact me if you need any help neighbor

19. I NEED HELP! :D like that? What northern parts are you in Dave?

20. bchctybob

bchctybob

Yeah, I had a Ranchero and finding good bed and rear window trim was hard and expensive. I found a lot of beat up high dollar junk. I lot of folks actually used them as trucks! Can you imagine?

21. If it gets way out of line on the cost, I'll weld up a bunch of holes and make some body color caps for the bed lol. I'd feel a lot differently if i was restoring the car, but I'm building a hot rod :D I've never been a chromosexual lmao, that stuff is way over priced :confused:

22. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Pendleton County , Lloyd

23. atch

atch

You had me at El Camino; right up 'til you said straight axle.

Then I saw the pic of the orange one. That's one pretty doggonned cool car.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  24. That orange car is freaking sharp in my opinion

loudbang likes this.
  25. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Cool deal man. I've always liked the 59-60 Caminos. I'll be watching.

Devin

loudbang likes this.
  26. This guy is parting one near me
    72DB9305-18F6-456D-8FDB-C8924CA2FD5F.jpeg

27. Heck, send him a message and see what he wants for the trim around the bed and the windshield chrome. I don't Facebook lol. Can't hurt to ask

loudbang likes this.
  28. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Just buy the whole thing Lloyd and make another road trip down here to Bama!

29. I was hoping to get you to throw it on your trailer and bring it to me! I just bought momma one of them new Tahoe things, my big ass is BROKE!!!!

enloe, 61Cruiser and loudbang like this.
  30. Hey I don't know if anybody has an answer to this question, but will a 275/60-15 fit on the back of this car? I've gotta take wheels and tires with me to go get it and all I have is a set of big and littles. I'd hate to get there and not be able to get the rear tires on it :rolleyes: they are 8" wheels with 4" backspace

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    61Cruiser and loudbang like this.