Register now to get rid of these ads!

Big Block MOPAR in a 36 to 48 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tsquared, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Tsquared

Tsquared
    from Pratt, Ks.

After seeing those pics of the 41 ford coupes, I got to wondering if anyone on here has tried to put a 383/440 with a torqueflite in one of those old fords. I`m sure someone has done it, I just have never seen it.

Tom T.

2. gahi

gahi
    from Moab, UT

the 440 should be considered a direct bolt in to any vehicle:D

3. Yowza!!! Can I get a Hallelujah!?

4. 4tford

4tford

If a hemi will fit the 383/440 is a piece of cake. Go for it.

5. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

How 'bout an AMEN!

6. anything can be made to fit . your biggest problem will probabilly be room for the transmission. `35-`48 fords have a center X-member that do no easily accept anything other than the stock tranny. resist the urge to go nuts with a torch to make room , or you will just end up ruining a good frame

7. X member is fun. I installed the trans kit and still didn't have room so moved the X back 7 inches and now have a Hemi and clutch-flite set back 14 inches and down 3 inches I'm using two stock firewalls and moving front body mounts back also. never easy but all you have to do "is want it"

Attached Files:

8. looks like a lot of work. that's why many old fords have 350/350 chevy engines and trannies

9. Tsquared

Tsquared
    from Pratt, Ks.

Thanks guys!
    I`m thinking I might want to try it, just for the hell of it!

I never did like MOPARS in the 60s. Actually it was a couple of years ago when the TMAN burnt up the hog,[Greasy from Ashland, mo was there with his A coupe] that I was impressed with an old 61 or 62 mopar at the track. I think it was driven by a kid from Minnesota. I think his handle is 413. Anyway, the bug bit me hard. I came home and started looking for any old 440 I could find; Then I sold my chopped 31 ford coupe {Tetnus shot has it now], and started playing with Large cubic inches. I`ve decided bigger is BETTER !

10. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

11. 4tford

4tford

I put a 392 with a turbo 400 in a 40 ford and just had to put a re-inforcement at the center section as 3 window was talking about. Chassis Engineering sells a kit for it to handle the big torque engines but it is in the stock location. I used the turbo trans to keep the stock location since the torqueflite is longer overall. I added a shot from the rear of the center section.

Attached Files:

12. Tsquared

Tsquared
    from Pratt, Ks.

Thanks, 4tford, Thats the kind of info I was wanting. I have already put a chassid engineering x-member kit in a 40 ford frame, years ago... That was fairly easy to do. cut out a few rivets, redrill the holes , and bolt in their kit.

I figured I`d have to widen the x between the rails to get the torqueflite in.
    thanks for your help!

Tom T.

13. that chassis engineering kit is the one I installed and it would have been all the room I needed till I added the raised front crossmember. then I had two options raise the motor or move it back and I refused to raise the center of gravity to an already heavy bias. so I moved it back and couldn't quite clear the balancer, so I wacked the bitch and gained enough room that the pulleys clear everything and the only limit I had was ground clearence on the oil pan and life is good

14. Amen to that.

I bolted one (along with its 727) into my 1969 Ford F250 4WD pickup truck. Fits perfectly. Now that was an upgrade...:D

15. jay

jay

I,m getting ready to pull the 440 out of my 56 Dodge and put it into my 38 ford 2 door sedan...i was thinking of trying to run the 4 speed everyone keeps telling me i'm going to make a big mistake going with the standard...but i just cant talk myself into the auto yet..

16. Been there done that, '46 coupe, '40 coupe and '41 sedan. As easy a swap as any lots of zot and not your everyday SBC in an old Ford.

If you're gonna use a 727 you have to be a little creative but that's hot rodding.

Purrraise the LAWD.