Register now to get rid of these ads!

big block install 60-66 chevy truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skysoldier173rd, May 29, 2010.

1. skysoldier173rd

skysoldier173rd
    from michigan

Wondering how difficult it would be to put a bbc in one of this generation of trucks. Got a nice bbc and might pick up one of these trucks to put it in. Just wondering if firewall needs recessing, or if there are other issues? Anyone been there and done that?

1Nimrod likes this.
  2. papajohn

papajohn

I haven't done it, but I have a '63 panel truck and it looks like there is all kinds of room! Should be an easy fit.

Deuces likes this.
  3. Astrochimp

Astrochimp
    from NE Mo.

4. R Pope

R Pope

Pretty much a bolt-in, lots of room. Small block mounts work.

Deuces likes this.

5. I agree, I installed a BB in my '65 years ago. No modifications were needed to the fire wall, I used the SB mounts, but had to modify them slightly (may have been the style of headers I used). I also used the stock radiator. Nice swap, Good luck.

Deuces likes this.
  6. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

Dad and I stuffed a 454 in my 65 back in the 80's. Originily a six banger. Plenty of room, I remember having the drive shaft shortened, We made our own mounts. The biggest pita was we did the swap in feburary out side.

Deuces likes this.
  7. 63c10

63c10
    from kentucky

Bolt-in swap, shouldn't have any problems. Header fit would be my only concern. Good luck, and post some pics when you get started!

Deuces likes this.
  8. piche582

piche582
    from Sonora, Ca

Did one in my friends 64. Did have to massage the frame a little for headers to fit & we replaced a good portion of the firewall as his valvecovers were hitting & it made them a bitch to get off.

Deuces likes this.
  9. Pinball Wizard

Pinball Wizard

Here is my 454 in my 64 C10.. Its mounted forward of the stock small block location, so the tall valve covers clear the firewall. Its on stock rubber mounts, the frame mounts are stock small block, slightly clearanced for the headers. Headers are tri y's for a 70's C10. Had to clearance the frame about 1/8 inch and ding one tube slightly. I've seen them in the stock small block location with stock type valve covers and its a tight fit.

Chris

Attached Files:

• 454.jpg
      454.jpg
      File size:
      158.4 KB
      Views:
  10. tom64c10

tom64c10

What headers did you use?

11. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

If you get the big block engine stands from a 1968 chevy truck,they're taller and you will have little more clearance for headers.The down side to using big block stands is the rubber for them is expensive( around $200).I welded a heavy duty washer(with a smaller hole) to mine so i could use the cheap small block $10 motor mounts.

Deuces likes this.
  12. hedg12

hedg12

My brother bolted a 454 in his 63 back in the day. Small block mounts and (I think) 73-87 pickup headers - might have been Chevelle headers, can't remember. Don't think any firewall mods were necessary. Plenty of room

Deuces likes this.
  13. Pinball Wizard

Pinball Wizard

I bought them used, so not 100%, but I believe they are Dougs D303Y-R

Chris

Deuces likes this.
  14. We did those swaps all the time, same mounts, maybe a different top hose water outlet but an easy swap. On one BBC we just used flex pipe for the exhaust.

15. Larry T

Larry T

If you use an automatic, you can move the engine forward a little and not have to rework the firewall. If you want to run a clutch, you have to leave the engine in the original location for the clutch linkage to work. If you leave the engine in the original location, you have to notch the firewall for valve cover clearance. Passenger side takes a pretty big notch to clear. I don't remember what I had to do on the drivers side, so it probably wasn't much.

16. I put a 427 in a 63 42 years ago. took a BFH to the firewall and made clearance for valve covers. other wise it was a bolt in.

Deuces likes this.
  17. Basshawk

Basshawk

Put a 427 in mine. Always runs hot (over 200). Anyone that has done this swap have similar issue?

18. squirrel

squirrel

You could cut out part of the inner fenders, put a bigass cross flow radiator in there. I mean big. Tall and wide.

Deuces likes this.
  19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

And while your at it you could cut out that bigass ugly factory core support.

20160513_114012.jpg

Deuces likes this.
  20. squirrel

squirrel

but you want a bigger radiator than shown, for a big block. Like a yard wide.

Deuces likes this.
  21. Pinball Wizard

Pinball Wizard

This is the same truck I posted above, new paint. Radiator is 40 inches wide. Don't have any better pics, truck is apart again. 20151002_165111.jpg

squirrel likes this.
  22. X-cpe

X-cpe

I sub-framed my '57. 454. Steering box and radiator want the same space. What I found at the Radiator Warehouse was, if I remember, a down flow Mopar radiator. Haven't fired it yet. (30 years and counting)

Model - 889-4
    4 core
    core size - 26"w X 18" h
    O/A - 30"w X 23"h (not including the filler neck and cap)
    mounting flanges on the front sides
    Shroud mounting flanges on the engine side
    top and bottom outlet the right sizes and in the right place

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021