Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Big block Chevy ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aerorocket, Apr 11, 2018.

1. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

I have an old suburban that someone stuck a big block in but I cannot seem to identify it. The last 3 numerals stamped on the pad are 7FD. I cannot see the casting numbers on the back of the block as it is too tight to the fire wall. I tried using an inspection camera with no luck. It is chevy orange but could have been painted years ago. I guess I can cut a hole in the firewall if need be. It runs like a top. Also there are no serial numbers stamped on the pad so I suspect it is a replacement or a marine block.

2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Remove a valve cover to see the head casting numbers; that may also give you an idea what the engine might be.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

3. squirrel

squirrel

no idea what it could be with that limited info.

if it has a small damper, it's probably a 396 or 402. If it has a big one (with the weight on the back side) it's probably a 454.

If it has a weighted flywheel, it's also probably a 454.

4. It could also have an 8 inch damper with no weight and be a 427/425

5. squirrel

squirrel

yup, that's why I said "probably".

feel for the weight on the back of it...

6. Can you reach the rear pad to press a lump of putty on it? Then peel it off and read the reverse impression.

7. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

Can't reach or see the casting numbers. Small damper so its probably a 2 bolt 396 or 427. I guess I'll have
    to tear into it to find out for sure. Got it for free so the price was right. Also has a 780 dual feed Holley
    mounted on a square port weiand intake; I'll have to pull a valve cover to ID the heads but I bet they are
    oval port. Thanks guys for the suggestions.

squirrel likes this.