Register now to get rid of these ads!

Big block Caddy 472 in a 60 el camino?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jim Beam, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Jim Beam

Jim Beam
    from St. George

I picked up a 1960 el camino a few months ago and it came with a 472 and turbo 400, anybody have any experience with this swap? I am wondering if i can shoe horn it in there, its a factory equipped ac car but has a newer model small block in it now. Im not concerned if i have to cut up the floor (it hardly has one) and im familiar with some of the faults of this type of chassis so i will be reinforcing it also.

2. Deuces

Deuces

I'll give ya a bump.......;)

3. sewman

sewman
    from Toledo,Oh

4. rat nasty

rat nasty

i have had numerus 472's great motors! you will need a later eldorado oil pan/pick up for the rear sump...the valve trains are junk for performance stand point if you are looking for cheap fun you will deff get that! if you need something caddy related call Marty at MTS hes a great guy to deal with! ebay had a guy that sold stainless shorty headers that worked great for cheap also!

5. DRD57

DRD57

Check with Mike Abssy at Schrader's Speed & Style in Azusa, CA. He put a 500 Caddy in a 60 or 61 Impala about ten years ago.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

6. Mad amount of torque! had a 78' camaro that came with a 472 and good thing the guy swapped in a 9" with the caddy motor. it was done way back and had N50's on back with 10" American racing "daisy spokes"!

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Outside of the front sump pan needing to be changed for an Eldorado pan an pickup the big issue might be clearance between the exhaust and the upper A frames.

The turbo 400 trans might be a tight fit under the floor hump and at the x in the frame but you can swap the long tail shaft for a short tailshaft and probably fix that.
    I don't think firewall clearance will be an issue and with the front mount distributor working on the distributor is easier.

8. knotheads

knotheads

there is a guy in Paramount Ca. named Baker he is an old racer and Cadillac fanatic, he puts Cad in everything . he runs a 1965 El Camino with a 500 inch cad motor. so i dont think a 1959 El Camino would be a problem! the shop name is Baker Automotive .

9. kennkat

kennkat

:):):)YES! I have done this swap.. and a few like it... How about in a 66 Elk? or a 65 chevy truck? Yes, I have done them... Look at my Photo Album "about me" and you will see that I worked for the late "Tommy Baker" in 1976 - 77...:):):)

10. kennkat

kennkat

In most cases you will need the early Eldo oil pan & pickup tube... Rear sump you know...

11. kennkat

kennkat

The 472 - 500 Cad takes up roughly the same room as a Rat Motor does, and is no heavier... & no firewall/dist issues...

12. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Is this El Camino out of Michigan by chance? Have a friend who did one a bit ago. He sold it and lost track.

13. jabberwoki

jabberwoki
    from puyallup

#2 on Marty at MTS great bloke very helpfull.