Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Big 97 float valve issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by desoto, May 10, 2021.

1. Has anyone experienced any flooding issues with the new Big 97 Strombergs?

I just put a pair on my hemi and, right away, one of them started showing signs of seepage around the throttle shaft.

I pulled the air horn off the top and the float bowl was full right to the top.

I flipped the switch on the fuel pump and he carb started overflowing.

I pulled the float valve out and blew it out in case there was a bit of junk under the ball then I renstalled it.

Same problem.

Pulled it out again and noticed that the ball had a gritty feel to it when I tried spinning it like it was rusty or something.

I rolled it around on a cardboard in all directions, blew it out, and reinstalled it.

The flooding is gone but I'm expecting a new one in the mail tomorrow.

Anyone else noticed problems with these Genuine 97 S-jets?

Another thing I noticed is that the tab on the float was very close to contacting the brass housing instead of the ball. Same goes for the tab on the other carb's float valve. It's like the float valve gasket it too thick and the valve doesn't enter the float bowl far enough to actually contact the float tab. As a result, the tab on the float is angled towards the side of the carb and nearly touches the housing instead of the ball.