Register now to get rid of these ads!

BIAS Ply vs Radial rear drag TIRES?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Powerband, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Powerband

Powerband

BIAS Ply vs Radial rear drag TIRES?

Appreciate some simple info for dragstrip simple FNG...

> Are BIAS Ply rear drag TIRES ( not slicks) best if for strip only?
    , with front road radial TA's should be OK in straight line 1/4 ?.

still shopping drag tires and not sure about best application: Plan on only using for occasional strip use. The BF TA's spin and I'm working on traction bars.

> I'm hoping to get to Aug. 11 & 12th Dover Reunion nostalgia drags at Lebanon Valley Dragway (NY). and meet some dragstrip locals, it's not easy for a FNG to get much useful info on the forums.

' working on getting there for Saturday run-what-ya-brung Test&Tune, pre-'78 only BTW.

http://www.dragway.com/home_015.htm

[​IMG] <>

[​IMG]

2. squirrel

squirrel

Good questions!

You can go really quick with drag radials. And the best part is you can drive to the strip and back. Oh...and they handle better....bias slicks that I've run feel like they're floating at high speeds. It can be unnerving. but that may just be my car, and that I'm running radials on the front.

Drag radials don't have "the look", but its not easy to find a real bias pie crust slick, either. Or any pie crust slick that actually works. But I guess they never did work too well in the old days, either.

3. A lot of the fellas that I have talked with have said that when they switched to radial drag ties that had a hard time geting thr suspension dialed in but one they did they really liked them.

M/T Sportsman pros are a fair trade off they are bias ply wrinkle wall street tires. I have heard that they reall hook well on low pressure then you put air in them and drive home.

4. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I've been told that bias slicks work better with manual trans cars and drag radials with autos. Apparently has to do with how the driveline shocks the tires.

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I've had the same experiences with bias slicks that Jim mentioned, they get a little side to side movement at top end and it feels a little scarey sometimes. Never have run drag radials but everything I hear is that they hook and feel good all the way down the track.

Don

6. nick_s

nick_s
    from Ohio

Bias slicks and radial fronts work fine, if you are driving a little ways just put them at 20-25 or so PSI for stability. Better yet, jus tput them in the trucnk and swap them at the track. How fast do you plan on running and what trans do you have? M/T drag radials work very very well in all applications and you wont have much wishy washy feeling in the back of the car if you use them