Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bias Plt tire question ( big truck )

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mastergun1980, Apr 27, 2012.

1. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I have a 56 f-600 that needs tires .. It had 22.5 x 8 and 22.5 x9 but they are all pretty rotten. They are tubeless rims . I looked online, I can't seem to find a good deal on them , in fact I can barely find them at all. Anyone got any suggestions? Is there a more modern tire that will replace these?

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Most likely you will have to got to radials as 22.5 bias are pretty much a thing of the past. 22.5 is still a very common size. If I remember right what you are looking for are 8.75RX22.5 and 10.00R X 22.5.

3. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

John,,,sell him some of yours!

4. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Probably had 7.00-20 and 8.00-20 tires on it originally. The corresponding tubeless sizes would be 8-22.5 and 9-22.5 When switching from tube type to tubeless the corresponding width will be one number larger and the .00 used on tube type is dropped on tubeless.

10R22.5 should be easy enough to find as a lot of those would be found on trucks in the F-700 size range. 11R22.5 will be the most common size as they're used on most all steer axles of heavy trucks and on the heavier range of medium duty trucks as well. 11's may be too wide for your wheels though, and the diameter is a fair bit bigger than your 8's and 9's.

Do you have Budd or Dayton type wheels?

5. Truckedup

Truckedup

In a radial tire that size should be no problem new or recap. It's a common size on school buses,maybe check with the mechanics at your local school bus garage.Bias tire may be better for a truck getting driven not all that much.The radials ride better for sure but will age faster.At any rate ,shipping is nasty on big tires so buy nearby.

6. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

It has budd wheels. From what I have read the 22.5 tubeless was a factory option for this truck .

7. Anything ##.5 is tubeless. Look for something local, sometimes truck tire dealers have specials or discontinued tires. Re-caps are about 1/2 the price of new. I've used them on my 17.5 equipped truck and they were fine.

Bob

8. gas pumper

gas pumper

Recaps for the back are fine. Bandag is real good. Some, most truck tire places have take-offs. New trucks delivered with tires that the owner don't want. Low miles and cheap.

Tubeless, 22.5, I'm pretty sure it was the late 60's when that became available. Not 1956. but it dosen't really matter.

9. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Believe it or not mid 50s for big truck tubeless wheels/rims. Very likely it was a option on that 56.

10. I've seen the tubeless wheels (19.5") on old bread trucks from 1958 or so, unless they were swapped over at some point.

Good idea on the takeoffs. Where I worked, people would trade them in on new Michelins and we'd sell the takeoffs.

Bob

11. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

'56 F-600s came with the "new" sizes in tubeless on 22.5" drop center wheels. My boss had a new one and when we had a flat, nobody knew how to get the tire off to repair it. All they knew at that point were the old split rims with a lock ring.

12. The 17.5" would fit on the Coats tire machines, anything bigger had to be buster with a truck tire hammer & use irons to get 'em off. They went on pretty easily though.

Bob