Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Bewley Allen Cadillac closes after 74 years in Alhambra

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cyclone Kevin, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

A Cadillac dealership that once served as a World War II weapons testing facility for Caltech closed its doors Monday after 74 years in business.

We can't continue to let this happen guys= More than 40 people lost their jobs, Lets support our local businesses.

2. That's a shame. I still have the original Bewley-Allen license plate frame that came off of the '49 Cadillac my folks had when I was a kid.

3. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Bought my Last Cad there

4. Happening here too. There was one dealership out here in a small town that closed after 80+ years in business. Sadly, it was a big employer for the town, and a major sponsor/supporter of the local school sports programs.

5. John Denich

John Denich

They were a good customer of mine....THAT SUCKS...

6. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

I used to ride my bike past there all the time. Wayno

7. JEM

JEM

On one hand, I agree with one aspect of what went on during the bailout - GM had too many brands and too many dealers for the market share they now have.

On the other, I think at least some of their brands will turn around, the CTS is a nice product (I'd love to have a CTS-V in the driveway but so far the wallet's refusing to cooperate) and - not remotely HAMBable but I'm really, really looking forward to taking a new turbo ATS for a drive. That direct-injection 2-liter turbo Ecotec four was a thing of beauty in the old Chevy Cobalt SS, and in a decently lightweight RWD platform it could be (if they get the details right) nothing short of wonderful.

8. rld14

rld14

That's a shame... :(

I work in the car business... it's been tough going, and even in the best of times it's not as profitable as you guys might think. Margins at dealerships are comparable to grocery stores, decent gross, low net.

That being said, I am in talks right now (Myself and a couple of friends of mine) to buy a dealership that, well, if the deal happens this store has some pretty cool history.

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

wonder if they have any cool NOS stuff in the back room?

74 years... "Central Chevrolet" here in Fremont opened about the same time and just closed down couple years back when the shit hit the fan for the auto industry..

10. 296ardun

296ardun

Used to drive by Bewley Allen -- wasn't it on Huntington Drive? (course it's been decades!)

Remember Central Chevrolet in Fremont too, think that they sponsored several drag cars, maybe Clyde Marks modified roadster?