Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Beware of Vincent Cassese Wayne NJ

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rcranger, Aug 25, 2016.

1. rcranger

rcranger
    from ilion ny

Sold this guy my 27 T sedan recieved 500 deposit by paypal he wanted to do the whole thing that way but i finally got the balance but wire transfer ,car was 12500 ,500 deposit 11500 transfer , i waived 500 for shipping costs because of all the complaining about how much it cost ,he shouldnt have bought it then , purchased on june 9th waited till july 19th to complain to paypal that something was missing ?? sent a lot of extra parts with that car was on vacation didnt even check till i logged in today to find he got his deposit back ebay said it was planned because he waited past the 32 days that ebay allows you to do anything to a buyer if this is in wrong place i am sorry but dont want to see anyone else get used

goes by Vintage Vins Hot Rod Parts Wayne NJ

2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

O.K., the guy plays Ebay games, got that part. Did he get away with your sedan?
    Did he get parts he didn't pay for?
    What did he spend, (that you received) and what did he get?
    Please be specific, so it can register accurately on the Fink meter.

hipster likes this.
  3. Your out $500 ?

4. I will never understand why sellers keep accepting PayPal. They ONLY protect the buyer.

49ratfink, hipster and joeycarpunk like this.

5. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Never ever take paypal for a big money part sale or car deal. Whatever you gets paid is up for dispute by PayPal first...then the credit card company. 99% of guys are honest...but the other half really can screw things up. Too many unscrupulous people out there nowadays. The guy you sold your car to got a $500 rebate simply because he complained....good on you for getting a wire transfer for the bulk of the dough...

6. rcranger

rcranger
    from ilion ny

out the 500 dollar deposit got the 11500 wire transfer after he pitched a fit doing it that way thought i was secured with paypal on the deposit he has the car doesnt answer any of the contact that i had bragged how it was going to be at the Deadmans Curve show they were going to chop it there

7. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

You sold it to him for $12500 but only got $11500 after all funds cleared.
    Lay a complaint to the police about how he is using the internet to commit "wire and stamp fraud"

The car is still actually yours because the original transaction aggreement was never completed
    In NZ, we can register a "Caveat" against the title

afaulk, Paul B and hipster like this.
  8. rcranger

rcranger
    from ilion ny

sold car with buy it now on ebay in june for 12500 took 500 deposit paypal ,took 2 more weeks to get the 11500 out of him always an excuse waived 500 to help him with shipping ,had some T parts that i had no plans for so i threw them in he knew that extra visor ,regulators ,trim

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You sold it, it's gone, could be worse, sale could still be pending and pending...........

10. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

I agree....all things considered you sold your car in a shitty market.....sucks to lose $500....but all in all you got most of your dough..

11. rcranger

rcranger
    from ilion ny

well i would not like to see this happen to someone else or worse get screwed out of all there money

12. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

It could have been a lot worse!!!!!

I know someone who bought a car on E-Bay and thought he did all of his due diligence first by checking out the seller and even contacting E-Bay first to make sure the seller was in good standing before placing his offer which was for $32,500 dollars.

Long story short he lost his $32,500 dollars to someone who had used all the correct information and pictures and even posted a copy of the tittle for the car on E-Bay.

My friend then took the next step after not getting any real help from E-Bay and contacted the F.B.I. and they interviewed him and took down the whole story.

He was contacted by the F.B..I. a few more times with updates on his case and it turns out this same person who has used this same scam a total of at least 6 times lives some where in Idaho.

With each sale he has the check sent to a different state address and then it appears the checks are forwarded to Calif. and then onto a fake address in Idaho.

I have had friends who's cars were not for sale only to see them posted on E-Bay with pictures of their car in front of their home with all the information about the car.

Whenever you are selling your car or just at a car show and someone starts asking you all the right questions about your car and starts taking pictures of your car you should be on alert.

It is a Buyer Beware world we live in for sure.
    Jimbo

13. Gman0046

Gman0046

Just sold my 64 Biscayne. Deposit and balance was a large wad of $100 bills. That and a wire transfer is the only way to go.

Gary

belair likes this.
  14. ^^^X2^^^^

I bought my 51 Chevy from a guy in NJ two years ago. I had spoke with him several times on the phone and kept trying to get a time to drive up to Jersey to look it over and bring it home. Unfortunately being a single dad gets it tough to get time to drive 5 hours one way on a weekend to go look at a car. He had some other people interested in it and called me, to let me know other people were coming to look at it. I sent him a deposit for it that day. It was the first time I had ever even looked at pay pal. I had to set up and account just to do it. Long story short I was a nervous wreck for a week hoping I didn't just screw myself out of a bunch of money. Lucky for me the guy could not have been cooler and the car was exactly what he said it was. I lucked out but have know tons of people that have gotten screwed using pay pal. If your gonna sell a car, that person needs to come to you and hand you a stack of cash. I don't like using pay pal for a big purchase, I had to use it to hold my 51, which im glad I did. I like to buy and sell the Traditional way, with a stack of cash and a car trailer hooked to my truck.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Glad for all the info, and relieved to read @rcranger didn't lose the whole barnyard.
    I use Paypal all the time, but never have yet for a large deposit, or the like.
    Sometimes even the 'fine print' is limited in its oversight.

16. steves29

steves29

Giving him a little extra stuff proved you are a nice guy. Being in the trade, I see nice guys get shafted quite regularly. Sure sucks. Make people pay for what they want and stick to it.

17. raidmagic

raidmagic

That sucks. Glad you didn't lose the whole deal. I've sold some bigger ticket items on ebay with paypal as payment without a problem but it's been quite a few years since. The more I hear these things the more scared I get to do these deals.

18. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

You got 115000 for a 125000 'buy it now' asking price. How firm were you on the price? You had to have had some wiggle room. Would you have taken 11500 or 12000 if an ebay buyer emailed you that offer (or it was parked at a car show for 12500)? If so, you're done and learned a lesson. The 3 hr. drive to NJ is probably only going to get you in trouble.

You knew the guy was a flake from day one, but stuck to the deal. Then you didn't notice his July 19 refund until yesterday? Have you gone back to Paypal to protest their decision? Do you have any correspondence with him in writing (to forward to Paypal) or were all the arrangements done on the phone? Any possible recourse lies with Paypal/ebay. He's clearly a weasel and you're wasting your time calling him.

Sucks that he took advantage of you after being a nice guy waiving the $500 toward shipping and throwing in the spare parts.
    Karma will get him. You can hope he has difficulties on his chop job.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  19. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I had a guy ask if I'd do a payment plan. I said sure, the play is to get one payment in cash.

belair likes this.
  20. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

I've sold over 30,000 items on eBay in the last 16 years-about 98% of which were paid for with Paypal-and never had any fraud issues with them. I've had a handful of people say they never received their items (mostly from other countries) so Paypal removed the funds from my account and gave them a full refund but you have to figure that about 1/10 of 1% of all the people you deal with are somewhat dishonest so that's part of the cost of doing business. I would never use Paypal on any transaction over $1000 but for smaller items it's a hell of a lot more convenient than having someone mail me a check and then waiting several days for it to clear....

Texas57 likes this.
  21. Lebowski, If I'm reading it correctly you are out the parts they said they never received? Did you get compensated for your loss by purchasing insurance through the shipping Co.?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  22. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Another thing you need to do, is to "buy a $50 raffle" [with 50/50 odds, zero losses and much more to gain]
    The raffle, is called filing a claim with the "disputes tribunal" or "small claims court"
    File it in your home state [he'll need to defend it there]

You'll have Ebay records for "buy-now' etc Paypal reversals etc[actual solid evidence, not buyer/seller remorse].
    If you win, then fuck up his credit rating if he doesn't pay

It is better for him to be unhappy than you to be unhappy

23. Looks like the seller took a paypal deposit, 500 bucks. He dropped the price by 500to help with shipping. The guy got the car then bitched at paypal and go his 500 deposit back. So the seller lost 500 from paypal and the 500 he dropped the price to help with shipping.

The buyer beat him for a grand, all total.

Terrible80 likes this.
  24. rcranger

rcranger
    from ilion ny

talked to paypal guy knew what he was doing waited 41 days to complain to his credit card that it was not authorized transaction ,have sold 7 other cars on ebay with all good results most went overseas ,was not trying to make big bucks on my car thats why i waived the 500 i understand money,just sucks that i put it into another car to find this ,and no i had not checked paypal was on vacation some shows just got on to order a part and pay when the notice popped up ,even paypal says that i probaly would have lost it all they have to do is complain to their bank or card and it gets reversed ,wow hard lesson i dont work on a big budget 500 is a chunk now to figure it out ,and your right going to NJ would not be a good idea ,but sending a flyer to everyone in his neighborhood is an option

25. rcranger

rcranger
    from ilion ny

at least this will show up if someone searches before selling ,maybe the next guy will be spared

26. alchemy

alchemy

Wish I could help but I'm out of breath after reading your last post. (just a little levity to brighten your bad day)

27. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

USPS doesn't offer insurance (or tracking numbers) when you ship items outside the US (except maybe for Canada). Besides, filling out all the forms to try to get my money back from them wasn't worth the $20-25 that I lost. At the time I was bringing in $1500 to $2000 a week so a $25 loss every few months wasn't a big deal to me. Also, I don't really sell parts-it's old car brochures, old shop manuals, old owner's manuals, old license plates and similar items....

28. Gotcha, just part of doing business. I was hoping it wasn't big $ a pop. No wonder you see "sorry no over seas shipping" on a lot of the parts for sale adds.

29. With me, any inkling that something is fishy with a transaction, the deal is off. I've bought and sold over 1000 items on eBay, pay pal, cash, checks and money orders and a couple of wire transfers, never a problem that I couldn't resolve.

30. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the rule for paypal is never accept paypal for more money than you are willing to give up to scammers.

Never2low and rcranger like this.